• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

IWB or Cross-draw??

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Ok, so I just picked up a new Walther PPS .40 cal. Now I need to get a holster for her, and I'm torn between what to buy!

I've narrowed it down to two options for now:

Leather cross-draw: I have always liked carrying crossdraw, but my full-sized SW99 is a bit uncomfortable over there. The PPS would be much more practical in that position. I could carry her there as my primary, or she could become a back-up to my SW99 if I carry both. A leather holster would hug very close to the body, and probably be easily concealed by something as simple as a long shirt, let alone a jacket or coat. Cross-draw will also allow me to more easily draw with either hand if need be.

Inside-waistband: I'm seriously considering a Comp-tac MTAC holster. "The PPS is just barely over one inch wide at its widest point; the slide release, and the slide itself measures only .907 inch thick." (gunblast.com review). This gun is made for IWB. Granted, its thinness makes it just as easy and comfortable to carry OWB as it does IWB. The drawback here is that I will be committed to only carrying concealed, be restricted to drawing with one hand, and be unable to carry another weapon on my strong side.

They both will end up running me about the same amount of money, all though the cross-draw could be acquired a bit cheaper. So what do you guys think? Personal experiences are welcomed.

(Please leave out the arguments like "cross-draw sweeps your muzzle across the room when you draw" and "cross-draw is more susceptible to gun-grabs". Thanks!)

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have an MTAC Minotaur I have been carrying for about 5 months. Somewhere in this subforum is a first impressions review I wrote last Oct/Nov.

I bought 2 different kydex bodies for it so I can carry either my XD or Sig in it (this versatility being one of the reasons I chose it). It has become progressively more comfortable as it has broken in. The c-clips used to poke me but now they, like the leather, have formed to my body and are no longer an issue. Because of the adjustability of the clips you can carry it either strong side at various cants or cant it for cross-draw IWB or probably in numerous other positions if you were of a mind to do so.

MamaLiberty

imported post

I carry an XD compact .45 in a crossdraw holster, but wear it at about 2 O'clock on the right side. It is the perfect combination of comfort and easy, smooth draw. Presentation is to the front and the muzzle doesn't sweep anything I don't want it to. It is comfortable in the car and doesn't interfere with the seat belt - which rides under it.

Take a look: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=338648

You can wear it either strong side or crossdraw, depending on your needs of course.

I'm a five foot tall, very short waisted woman, so drawing straight up from the side is simply not an option! :p

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I forgot to mention that I'd want the crossdraw holster to hug my body as tightly as possible to maintain a slim profile. This rules out holsters like the fobus roto-holster, and that semi-universal leather holster that MamaLiberty mentioned..

I think I'm considering using a cheaper (like uncle mike's) IWB holster in the mean time, and going with the x-draw. I still don't know though lol.

Riana

imported post

MamaLiberty wrote:
I carry an XD compact .45 in a crossdraw holster, but wear it at about 2 O'clock on the right side. It is the perfect combination of comfort and easy, smooth draw. Presentation is to the front and the muzzle doesn't sweep anything I don't want it to. It is comfortable in the car and doesn't interfere with the seat belt - which rides under it.

Take a look: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=338648

You can wear it either strong side or crossdraw, depending on your needs of course.

I'm a five foot tall, very short waisted woman, so drawing straight up from the side is simply not an option! :p
MamaLiberty - I checked with Sportsmans Guide on that holster, because I was interested in it, as well. They do not have them in stock, and don't expect to get more, either. :(

jeeper1

imported post

Consider the "Kwik clip" from Crossbreed. It is an IWB tuckable holster that is adjustable for tilt. I carry my Keltec P11 in crossdraw fashion in mine.

MamaLiberty

imported post

MamaLiberty - I checked with Sportsmans Guide on that holster, because I was interested in it, as well. They do not have them in stock, and don't expect to get more, either.

How strange! That is the best holster I ever had. Sure wish I'd gotten another one now. This one will wear out eventually. May have to get someone to make me one.

I do have another that fit a Ruger P95 I sold last year. Doesn't fit anything else I own right now, so if someone wanted it they can PM me and I can sell it.