• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Eight killed in North Carolina nursing home rampage

MetalChris

imported post

Source

(CNN) -- Eight people have been killed and several others wounded in a shooting at a nursing home in Carthage, North Carolina, police and hospital officials said Sunday.

Carthage Police Chief Chris McKenzie told CNN affiliate News 14 Carolina that there were six dead at the scene and three wounded, including a police officer. Gretchen Kelly, a spokeswoman for FirstHealth Moore Regional Hospital, told CNN later that two of the six patients brought there had died, and two were still being treated.

Few details of the shootings, which happened about 10 a.m. Sunday, were immediately available. There was no immediate indication as to the attacker's motive, and it was not clear whether the gunman was in custody or was among the dead or wounded.

"I ain't never seen nobody being mistreated down there or nothing," Bobby Dunn, whose 89-year-old mother was living at the facility, told News 14. "That's what I can't understand -- why somebody would come and do something like that."

McKenzie said the facility was "under our control" and patients had been moved to another building. Police were still interviewing witnesses early Sunday afternoon, he said. Carthage is about 60 miles southwest of Raleigh. See map showing Carthage, Raleigh »

Sunday's killings were the latest in a series of high-profile but unrelated rampages in March, including the killings of 10 people by an Alabama man who was then killed by police. At a southern Illinois church, a man shot and killed the pastor and stabbed two parishioners, and a 17-year-old in Germany killed 15 people in two small towns before dying in a shootout with police.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
And again one can't help but ask, "What the hell is wrong with people???"

I believe that it is the dillusionalthinking that something like this can never happen, and the refusal of the overall populus to arm itself against such events.

Added

The shooter has been apprehended. Still no motive has been revealed.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,511330,00.html

PT111

imported post

It may be a blessing or curse for the Pro-Gun movement but hew wasn't using a hand gun or assault weapon. Looks like an ordinary semi-auto hunting rifle. I couldn't tellexactly from the pictures. I just got back from visiting my Mother in a similar nursing home and maybe some armed guards would work but I don't know if the staff should be armed and especially not the residents. It would be very easy for a resident there to obtain one of the guns from a staff member and start firing away with it. The way the staff has to interact with the residents would make it easy for one to be grabbed even in a retention holster.

MI-copperhead

Anti-urban, Bible thumping, Tekonsha, Michigan, US
imported post

deepdiver wrote:

People wont like me saying it but maybe the end times are closer than we think.

2 Timothy 3

1. [/suP]This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2. [/suP]For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
3. [/suP]Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
4. [/suP]Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
[/suP]
Just my two cents worth.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
We're always going to have a certain percentage of dangerously psychotic people with us. For a long time to come anyway, I suspect.

Just realize they are insane, literally. Don't make yourselffrustrated trying to understand it. Its not particularly susceptible to understanding. By definition, his motive, whatever it was, will make no sense.

Just chalk up eight morereasons peopleshould be able to defend themselves. Or, inthis case, their care-givers should be able to defend them.

Phssthpok

imported post

PT111 wrote:
It may be a blessing or curse for the Pro-Gun movement but hew wasn't using a hand gun or assault weapon. Looks like an ordinary semi-auto hunting rifle. I couldn't tellexactly from the pictures. I just got back from visiting my Mother in a similar nursing home and maybe some armed guards would work but I don't know if the staff should be armed and especially not the residents. It would be very easy for a resident there to obtain one of the guns from a staff member and start firing away with it. The way the staff has to interact with the residents would make it easy for one to be grabbed even in a retention holster.
Judging from:

The undercut foregrip
The placement/shape of the rear sight
The teardrop shape of the trigger guard
The slight 'potbelly' overall profile
The size of the magazine
The shape of the grip

I'd venture to say its a Remington 597 .22 Long Rifle plinkin' gun!

At least the grabbers can't (readily) parlay that into an 'assault' weapon.:uhoh:

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I had sent the link to this story to my brother. As a master of "satire" he responded with the following:

SEE?????
These evil guns!

If nobody were allowed to have these terrible camouflaged shot guns then this guy would never have done this crazy thing! Everybody knows that the camouflage is the sign of the DEVIL!!!! An ordinary shotgun would not have been as likely to make this guy go crazy!! The camo has subliminal messages- [font="Porky's"]Kill, Kill, Kill...[/font]
Even the press know this, as they felt it was significant enough to point it out in the news article.

A good lawyer, if there is such a thing, will be able to shift the blame onto the evil gun itself or at least the manufacturer. Those bastards!! Theyshould prosecute the CEO and his upper management people to the fullest extent of the law.The shooter, sorry, alleged shooter,should get off because he was made insane by the camo on the gun. Everybody knows that.

And all of you "gun" people should be seeking therapy so that you don't fall under the hysteria of gun hypnosis and become mass murders! You don't believe it can happen?

You know that's why the cops call it gun "possession". It's because you are underthe spellof the DEVIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a nice day.
-Jay

<End satire>

Legba

imported post

Is that Remington the one with the PITA key safety thing? They are annoying.

-ljp

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Haven't seen a shot of the front door yet, was this another gun free zone?
My bet is on it was. I know that the homes I go to have the signs.