• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Awesome Police encounters :D

Jarod44588

imported post

My friend had just gotten a suped up dodge neon, turbo, headers exhaust like everything. Anyway we decided to take it around town just for fun, in less than 20 minutes we got stopped because he was speeding, 55 in a 35. Yeah. So when the officer came to my window, ( i was the passenger and he didnt want to stand in the middle of the road) i made it clear i was armed, he opened the door, took my weapon, took it to his car, did checks and such (i also had my police scanner with me so i heard what he was saying ;) ) and he proceeded to write the speeding ticket. Once he made sure the gun wasnt hot, he continued to ask me why i was carrying, so i told him. He actually said THANKS FOR INFORMING ME YOU HAD IT. No problem. The next 2 pull overs were for no tail lights, i guess a fuse blew or something but either way, both times were nearly identical, got stopped, told the cops i had a gun, they took it, checked it, got a warning for no tailights both times, one time they put my gun in the trunk? kinda odd i though, the other one they put it on the hood? haha idk thought it was funny. All 3 times they took us both out and searched the whole car, like up down and sideways. And after meeting 7 or 8 cops in less than 2 hours, i was still feeling good. They were proffessional, polite, and were totally for me carrying a weapon. So if anyone happens to run into some of the fine officers of SLPD just know to expect nothing but good things.

Jarod44588

imported post

wind up? Troll? I can safely say, i have no idea what you are talking about

Jarod44588

imported post

ok so somone telling other people a true story, how it happened and went makes me a troll? RIGHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Wait a minute, your gun got serial # checked because the driver was speeeeeeding?

Does Arizona require people to notify police they are carrying a gun?

Jarod44588

imported post

yup. uhh not that i know of, but i still tell them just so they know. As for the serial number being checked im not sure why they checked every time.

FogRider

imported post

Jarod44588 wrote:
...As for the serial number being checked im not sure why they checked every time.

They ran it because you let them.

The troll comments are coming because you say you had three good encounters, and then in the thread you say you let them trample all over your rights for no readily apparent reason. That's not generally what passes as a good encounter on these boards.

Jarod44588

imported post

Well i get that, But they told me they had to "remove the weapon during the stop for safety purposes." which i can understand, as for the checking numbers thing IDK i guess they figured might as well do something to kill 5 minutes

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Jarod44588 wrote:
Well i get that, But they told me they had to "remove the weapon during the stop for safety purposes." which i can understand, as for the checking numbers thing IDK i guess they figured might as well do something to kill 5 minutes
They were treating you like a suspect. Worse, actually. They had no particularized suspicion--meaning they had no reason to suspect--that you were in possession of a stolen firearm.

Jarod44588

imported post

Well ill keep that in mind, but at least they were actually nice about it. But i never thought of it like that, just seemed to me like routine proceedure.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Your friend's car was searched three times in two hours and you're okay with that? Sounds like you either gave away your fourth amendment rights or you had them trampled on. Next time don't let the cops walk all over you.

Jarod44588

imported post

Haha i was waiting for that, and no it had a full greddy exhaust, a pretty nice job on the car really, but itll always be a neon:cool:

Hiredgun30

imported post

I have great encounters with Mesa Police everyday... they dont stop to talk to me while oc around dobson and southern area... not even once...

Crossfire Jedi

imported post

When I "hear" those cars go buy I think of the Jetsons, no offense I am sure it looks nice. I typically roll my Jeep windows up when they drive by so they don't interfere with my Fox News on satellite.

Jarod44588

imported post

ohh i know what you mean, but its not loud really, it sounds pretty good, but give me a jeep any day of tthe week :D

Old Uncle Ho

imported post

(Wait a minute, your gun got serial # checked because the driver was speeeeeeding?

Does Arizona require people to notify police they are carrying a gun?)

--------------

Regarding the above:
I don't know about his particular situation, but when I received my CCW (AZ) a card came with it, with instructions to present it to an officer in the event of being stopped. May not be a bad idea in any event.

GoldCoaster

imported post

The OP wasn't stopped, he was a passenger. If I'm in a car that gets pulled over, and unless there are clouds of reefer smoke coming out the window I don't see how the cop has RAS or PC to even ask me who I am, let alone disarm me and run my serial number through the system.

Am I completely off base here? Just because they are nice and polite doesn't excuse them from trampling your 4th amendment rights unless you voluntarily waived them by offering it all up.

ca2az96

imported post

:banghead:<--- This is what this post is making me do right now. I believe some are missing the point of this Forum, and the reason it exists. OCDO is for people who OC theirfirearms AND cherish their Constitutional Rights; 2nd AND 4th AND allthe rest.

FACT 1 - Arizona Cops DO NOT have the right to run the serial # on your gun unless they have probable cause that a crime HAS been committed, IS being committed, or HAS BEEN committed (See Terry vs. Ohio Ruling). Since you were the passenger of the car, you were not even guilty of speeding (which still is NOT probable cause to run your serial #).

FACT 2 - Arizona Cops DO NOT have the right to demand ID from you "just because" if you are not the driver of a motor vehicle. We are not Nazi Germany just yet; perhaps in a few years, but not now.

FACT 3 - When we voluntarily surrender our liberties (such as our 2nd and 4th amendment rights), we make it easier for politicians and cops to forcefully take these rights away from those of us that actually care about them.

Why would you voluntarily let those cops trample on your rights like you did? Are you a criminal? Your friend is acting like one by letting multiple cops search his car. They DO NOT have any business or legal standing doing that, unless you allow it.

Why would you volunteer information that you have a gun? I could halfway understand if you were the driver, and your gun was sitting on top of your registration in the glove box. However, you were NOT the driver, and it is none of the cop's business if you are armed or not,as long asyou have no bad intentions. I am sick and tired of hearing the gun needs to be temporarily removed by the cop for "Officer Safety". I think in many cases, the cop's gun (and Taser) needs to be removed for "Citizen Safety", since quite a few of them are trigger happy (See the BART Train incident in Oakland, Ca).

Take your rights seriously, and cherish them. You might wake up one day soon, and realize they are no longer your rights as they once were.