• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Awesome Police encounters :D

Jarod44588

imported post

Believe me i understand all of that, but when my wallet is in my RIGHT rear pocket, and my gun is on my RIGHT hip, getting my ID would seem a little, to most NOT ALL cops, as me "going for a gun" which would lead to worst issues. And as for searching the car, if it was me i wouldnt have let them search it, but it wasnt my car, so i had no say. As for my ID, they asked for it, i gave it to them. It has nothing to do with "surrendering" my information, just me proving i am NOT a criminal and of legal age to be carrying a weapon. I am not giving up any of my rights, i still have my guns, i always will, and i will always have my freedom of speech. And if i decide to NOT make the cops life any harder than it has to be, it is MY CHOICE. My uncle was a LEO and he has told me MANY stories about the job, so yea i know its stressful being a cop, and worrying about criminals being armed, and people being complicated has got to be hard on them. Now if the cops were mean, or total "Bullies with a Badge" then i wouldnt have even said a word to them, but since they were as i said before, polite and proffessional, i decided to do the same.

PikesPeakMtnMan

imported post

Jarod44588 wrote:
Believe me i understand all of that, but when my wallet is in my RIGHT rear pocket, and my gun is on my RIGHT hip, getting my ID would seem a little, to most NOT ALL cops, as me "going for a gun" which would lead to worst issues. ...
I used to carry my wallet in my right rear pocket....until I started carrying my gun on my right hip. My wallet now resides in my left rear pocket.

usdm419

imported post

Just a FYI, turbo cars don't have headers.....and a 4cyl. only has a header. A turbo car such as the SRT-4 has a turbo manifold, not a header.:lol:

junglebob

imported post

I would have asked my friend after the first stop why he gave up his 4th amendment rights and let the cop search the car. I wouldn't. If asked to exit the vehicle I would lock the doors as I did so, assuming I had automatic door locks, or lock mine an tell my passenger to do the same if I was driving. Sometime you just might run into the wrong cop and he'll drop something, like drugs, in your car so he can arrest you. This might be rare, but I wouldn't take a chance on it happening.

Maybe what I said sounds paranoid to Arizona folks, but I heard of an out of state contractor stopped for a traffic violation in Washington D.C. He went to get his registration out of his truck glove box and the cop noticed a box of .22ammo in the glove box. He was arrested and handcuffed for having "unregistered ammunition". Washington D.C. of course is probably the worst place to allow a search of your vehicle. I wouldn't want to bet that they wouldn't find a round of ammo somewhere in my vehicle.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

junglebob wrote:
I would have asked my friend after the first stop why he gave up his 4th amendment rights and let the cop search the car. I wouldn't. If asked to exit the vehicle I would lock the doors as I did so, assuming I had automatic door locks, or lock mine an tell my passenger to do the same if I was driving. Sometime you just might run into the wrong cop and he'll drop something, like drugs, in your car so he can arrest you. This might be rare, but I wouldn't take a chance on it happening.

Maybe what I said sounds paranoid to Arizona folks, but I heard of an out of state contractor stopped for a traffic violation in Washington D.C. He went to get his registration out of his truck glove box and the cop noticed a box of .22ammo in the glove box. He was arrested and handcuffed for having "unregistered ammunition". Washington D.C. of course is probably the worst place to allow a search of your vehicle. I wouldn't want to bet that they wouldn't find a round of ammo somewhere in my vehicle.

I think there might be one even worse. From FlexYourRights.com blog:

TENAHA — You can drive into this dusty fleck of a town near the Texas-Louisiana border if you’re African-American, but you might not be able to drive out of it — at least not with your car, your cash, your jewelry or other valuables.

That’s because the police here have allegedly found a way to strip motorists, many of them black, of their property without ever charging them with a crime. Instead, they offer out-of-towners a grim choice: voluntarily sign over your belongings to the town or face felony charges of money laundering or other serious crimes.

More than 140 people reluctantly accepted that deal from June 2006 to June 2008, according to court records. Among them were a black grandmother from Akron, Ohio, who surrendered $4,000 in cash after Tenaha police pulled her over, and an interracial couple from Houston, who gave up more than $6,000 after police threatened to seize their children and put them into foster care, the court documents show. Neither the grandmother nor the couple were charged with or convicted of any crime. [
Star-Telegram]

http://www.flexyourrights.com/

Second blog post down from the top.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

GoldCoaster wrote:
SNIP The OP wasn't stopped, he was a passenger. If I'm in a car that gets pulled over, and unless there are clouds of reefer smoke coming out the window I don't see how the cop has RAS or PC to even ask me who I am, let alone disarm me and run my serial number through the system.

You'll want to check up on that.

I'm not a lawyer, but I seem to recall a US Supreme Court ruling that for the purposes of the 4th Amendment, everybody in the car is stopped.

Also, there is some case law policeseizing guns during traffic stops. The opinion is US vs Baker and it perverts Terrysignificantly in that it makes the leap from"suspicion of gun + suspicion of dangerous" to"suspicion of gun = dangerous".

http://law.emory.edu/caselaw/4ca/mar96/955287.p.html

(Looking back over it, it looks like it might be quoting an earlier case on this point.)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Recovering Californian wrote:
SNIP FACT 2 - Arizona Cops DO NOT have the right to demand ID from you "just because" if you are not the driver of a motor vehicle. We are not Nazi Germany just yet; perhaps in a few years, but not now.

Its a little tough to prove a "nothing" so I won't ask for a cite to a non-existent Arizona law requiring people to identify themselves to police during a consensual encounter or a non-consensual encounter like a detention.

I did just this evening come across something on this point from FlexYourRights.com:

Currently the following states have stop and identify laws: AL, AR, CO, DE, FL, GA, IL, KS, LA, MO, MT, NE, NH, NM, NV, NY, ND, RI, UT, VT, WI

All will notice that Arizona is absent from the list.

It is item #7 on the FAQs list. http://www.flexyourrights.org/frequently_asked_questions#07

By the way, the FAQ's list is rich with useful information.

So is the rest of their site. Take some time and go through it. Lots of interesting stuff there. Hats off to Scott Morgan and the crew at FlexYouRights.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

The OP did not state what location in AZ. SLPD means nuthin' to me. There is no legal requirement to inform a LEO you're armed. I've it done out of courtesy... but it's not required. That said... I've never been disarmed or 'searched' either. There's such a thing as 'Police Observation' tho. 'Depends on the 'look' of the whole thing... age, nationality, deportment 'n such. The OP's bangin' around inna ricer (Phhhhrrrrrt) which is gettin' unwanted attention for various reasons.

AZ cops 'n sheriff's don't normally give a rats ass if yer armed. They assume you are... 'cause 'many' are. Why they ran the gun's numbers? I dunno.That's another rarity.

This AIN'T Virginia... or Louisiana 'n damn sure not D.C. . No comparison... So all this legalese y'all fret over usually isn't a concern. Somethin' else is not bein' said.

FogRider

imported post

Jarod44588 wrote:
Believe me i understand all of that, but when my wallet is in my RIGHT rear pocket, and my gun is on my RIGHT hip, getting my ID would seem a little, to most NOT ALL cops, as me "going for a gun" which would lead to worst issues...
There are a couple really simple fixes for that, assuming you're going to let the officer check your ID. You say to the officer "My wallet is in my right rear pocket close to my gun. If you're not comfortable with me reaching for it, you can get it yourself." Or, (and I'd do this), don't carry your wallet on that side. Or best of all, tell the officer no, he can't see your ID.

GWbiker

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
The OP did not state what location in AZ. SLPD means nuthin' to me.
It could be Show Low, where the "Feel Good" crowds flock for relief of cooler temperatures. I try to avoid SL and adjoining Pinetop. Lot's of art shows there, with traffic becoming unbearable and basic needs over priced!

Sonora Rebel

imported post

GWbiker wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
The OP did not state what location in AZ. SLPD means nuthin' to me.
It could be Show Low, where the "Feel Good" crowds flock for relief of cooler temperatures. I try to avoid SL and adjoining Pinetop. Lot's of art shows there, with traffic becoming unbearable and basic needs over priced!
I never go up there... (no reason to). The artsyfartsy influence may haveinfected the PD.

suntzu

imported post

Jarod44588 wrote:
My friend had just gotten a suped up dodge neon, turbo, headers exhaust like everything. Anyway we decided to take it around town just for fun, in less than 20 minutes we got stopped because he was speeding, 55 in a 35. Yeah. So when the officer came to my window, ( i was the passenger and he didnt want to stand in the middle of the road) i made it clear i was armed, he opened the door, took my weapon, took it to his car, did checks and such (i also had my police scanner with me so i heard what he was saying ;) ) and he proceeded to write the speeding ticket. Once he made sure the gun wasnt hot, he continued to ask me why i was carrying, so i told him. He actually said THANKS FOR INFORMING ME YOU HAD IT. No problem. The next 2 pull overs were for no tail lights, i guess a fuse blew or something but either way, both times were nearly identical, got stopped, told the cops i had a gun, they took it, checked it, got a warning for no tailights both times, one time they put my gun in the trunk? kinda odd i though, the other one they put it on the hood? haha idk thought it was funny. All 3 times they took us both out and searched the whole car, like up down and sideways. And after meeting 7 or 8 cops in less than 2 hours, i was still feeling good. They were proffessional, polite, and were totally for me carrying a weapon. So if anyone happens to run into some of the fine officers of SLPD just know to expect nothing but good things.
SO your just let them search the car? Did they have any reason to search, or did they just want you to let them?

Searching your property without PC does not make them good cops. If they asked for permission--they had no reason to search and consent should not have been given.

400HP

imported post

Crossfire Jedi wrote:
When I "hear" those cars go buy I think of the Jetsons, no offense I am sure it looks nice. I typically roll my Jeep windows up when they drive by so they don't interfere with my Fox News on satellite.
I want to make smart *** remarks, but I just can't.......:lol:

Jarod44588

imported post

im not really sure where to begin replying, but no offense, but i hate mustangs and corvettes, but everyone has different tastes...

And i know show low sucks, its not hard to figure out, its like one of the top retirement towns. so yea. People are pretty ignorant here, im planning on moving to phoenix by next year. Too pricey living here, and not enough work, not to mention all the OC haters here.

As for the car thing, yea the cops told us to get out and asked my friend to search the car, he said thats fine. Im not sure why he let them, but oh well.

and as for the turbo car thing, SUE ME. lol. I didnt bother looking at the engine, just what the guy told my friend, all im pretty sure its a V6, and it has turbo. (hes mexican though and he gets things screwed up alot(im not racist by the way calling him mexican, so dont start with that, he IS FROM MEXICO) ) so that might be why i heard that.Im not car expert. im more into SUvs, jeeps and such But anyway....

and from now on, if i get pulled over im not informing them im armed, and ill be sure not to give them id unless im the one driving.

Most of the reason i gave them my ID is cuz i look younger than 18, so if they suspect im underage, thats probable cause to look into it right?

Not only that, but the "ricer" shouldnt be any reason for them to suspect anything, ive had issues with show low police before though, they are always stereotyping people, and id sugguest anyone who comes to visit show low, well just dont come to visit cuz your not missing much at all. I promise.

400HP

imported post

Crossfire Jedi wrote:
I wasn't trying to be a smart ***...unless it's a Corvette, Mustang, Viper or older American muscle car...they really do sound odd, like the Jetsons.

On the verge if hijacking this thread....a close look at my avitar would indicate mine sounds sort of like a UPS truck. I am old school muscle car material. The typical youngin' with the honda terrorize me regularly (with the occaional Mustang). Only the possiblity of felony driving charges keep me in check. I'm still 16 at heart.

Now what was the original discussion.......

curtm1911

imported post

Drove the Muscle Cars in the '70's, had my '79 Silverado too, now I gots me a fuel efficient and just plain FUN to drive, my FIRST NEW Vehicle, and it's American Made too, yes boys and girls, it is a Chevrolet HHR

me812

imported post

Believe me i understand all of that, but when my wallet is in my RIGHT rear pocket, and my gun is on my RIGHT hip, getting my ID would seem a little, to most NOT ALL cops, as me "going for a gun" which would lead to worst issues.

In this situation, I would've informed them I was packing, too, but if the gun is totally out of sight and will be during the duration of the traffic stop, my opinion is that what they don't know won't hurt them.

Incidentally, you don't have to show any ID or give your name if they don't have reasonable suspicion that you've broken any laws and if you were just a passenger in a car that was speeding, they don't.