• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Friend or Foe - New tool for finding pro-2A businesses

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This was burried in another thread, but I just posted an update to the Friend or Foe tool, taking into consideration feedback recieved on various forums so I figured I'd give it some publicity.

There's no log in required (the add form is hidden until some steps are performed so that should keep spammers at bay). Just follow the instructions on the main page and add business screen and either add businesses that are pro or anti gun.

The tool will remember the location and radius to search (saved in a cookie on your machine, not the server) and will return to the saved area both when you revisit the site and after you add a business. It will also center the add business screen on the saved area, saving a bit of time there as well.

It now also shows a circle highlighting the searched area, so you can see where the search parameters are looking.

The layout has also been changed to allow for a larger map, and I'm going to continue to work on this area to get the most out of whatever window size is used eventually.

Let me know if you have any issues with this version, and as always, feedback is welcome.

http://friendorfoe.thesecond.us

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Here's the publicly available information regarding ownership of that domain name; since some of y'all are in Richmond, perhaps you'd be in a better position to check up and let us know whether this is simply an information gathering tool for the owner, or what:

Name: Christopher Walsh
Address1: 101 N 14th St
City: Richmond
State/Province: Virginia
Postal Code: 23219
Phone Number: 8044021933
Email: contact@devextreme.com

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yep. That's me. My work addy and personal cell. Give me a call if you want to chat. Or, come out to a Richmond OC dinner and I'll likely be there.

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Good to know - thanks.

What I was concerned about was the possibility that someone's collecting information about folks who are interested in firearms and either selling it or using it for "law enforcement" purposes based solely on that interest.

I'll buy you lunch, next time I'm in Richmond, if you're available.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I can understand the apprehension. I just have always liked the info in the "OC in [area]" threads and used it to know what places were OC friendly. I thought it might be nice to see a visualization of that data.

I was actually hoping to get more negatives (most there now are positive reviews), so I'd know where not to spend my money....but if people use the site that will come in time.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Ah! I thought your intention was to have only positives in this one.

I had trouble, though. An auto-repair shop with which I do business doesn't appear, no matter how far in I zoom. There doesn't appear to be a way to type in a business name and address. Am I missing something?

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If the business isn't in the google business database it won't show up in the search results. I can enter a business manually, just email or PM me the name, address, rating and review text and I'll add it.

TFred

imported post

Suggestion: Is there any way you can color-code your search results table on the right margin to indicate friendly or not friendly, as you do with the red/green markers? In a crowded field, it's not quick to spot with no indication in the table entry.

Just a thought. :)

TFred

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

That's on the TODO list. I'm going to either add the colored marker as a BG image, or do some other color coding to make it easy to spot them in the list.

Thanks for the suggestion!

TFred

imported post

bnkrazy wrote:
That's on the TODO list. I'm going to either add the colored marker as a BG image, or do some other color coding to make it easy to spot them in the list.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Cool... I totally understand the "TODO" list... ;)

TFred

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It will accept any business in the google database. I'm going to add a method to manually add a business in case it isn't in the google db as well.

There are already a few entries for TX, CO, and MO I believe. Feel free to add anywhere you want.

KaiGywer

imported post

bnkrazy wrote:
It will accept any business in the google database. I'm going to add a method to manually add a business in case it isn't in the google db as well.

There are already a few entries for TX, CO, and MO I believe. Feel free to add anywhere you want.
Sounds good. I just didn't want to invade on your turf with businesses on the frozen tundra :)

KaiGywer

imported post

Added some from Minnesota. I will add more as I go along, and I also linked to your site on my Facebook page :) Hopefully my friends will add more businesses as well

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thanks for the entries, and for sharing the link!

Another thought I've had (Ed's postcard in another thread reminded me) is allowing a separate section for authorized users to go in and flag a business as "officially gun unfriendly."

Those businesses would show up with a different, easily distinguished marker so you could tell which ones are officially on "the list" and avoid accordingly.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Just FYI, there's a bug I've noticed that occurs when double quotes are used. It breaks the javascript when displaying the markers.

I'll fix it when I get a chance this week, just wanted to mention it in case you added a review and the markers didn't show up. They will show up once I fix the display code.

KaiGywer

imported post

bnkrazy wrote:
Just FYI, there's a bug I've noticed that occurs when double quotes are used. It breaks the javascript when displaying the markers.

I'll fix it when I get a chance this week, just wanted to mention it in case you added a review and the markers didn't show up. They will show up once I fix the display code.
Ah that explains it :) I was wondering what happened, I thought there maybe was a lag from submission until it showed up

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Nope, I've been changing the double to single quotes in the db until I can get around to fixing the code, so yours show up now.

Thanks again!

Glock27Bill

imported post

Since this is your ToDo list and not mine, eventually it would be nice to categorize the businesses.

You know, if I were looking for a gun-friendly restaurant, it would be nice to haverestaurants grouped together...eventually.

For now, nice site! Great idea!!!