• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Introduction/Open carry in NOLA

captainbunch

imported post

I just wanted to take this time to introduce myself. My name is Chris and I live in New Orleans. I follow this forum on a daily basis, and I enjoy reading about everyone's opinions and experiences. I am a student at the University of New Orleans, and I am very pro-gun. But I don't do any campus protests or anything, being that I take mostly online classes.

Anyway, you may remember a few months back, a man named Estcrh who came on this forum and spoke about open carrying in the French Quarter. Well, I live in the Quarter and know Estcrh personally. I, too, have been trying to get some response from the NOPD about open carrying in my neighborhood. As you may know, the Quarter is really getting invaded by some really bad guys. A woman was murdered last January right around the corner from my house. I know that Louisiana law says that I can open carry my firearm, but you know NOLA's finest.....they'll do something illegal. If I was in my native parish of St. Bernard, or anyplace else in the state, I wouldn't be worried about OC'ing. But being that there's some sickos in OPP, I guess I'm a little hesitant. I am 20 years old, so I cannot get a CCL. Even if I could, I still think CC is giving up. Sorry if I offended any CC'ers.

I've been trying to contact the guys in charge of the NOPD's 8th district, Major Hosli and Lt. Selby. I am getting no response from either. I want to know if I'll get hauled off for OC'ing. I have no problem whatsoever with being stopped and questioned. That means they're doing their jobs by stopping me and making sure the public is safe. But the NOPD has been known to do many illegal, fishy things.

Any suggestions, or would anyone help me in contacting either of the two?Thanks for taking the time to listen to me.

P.S. Since I am 20, I do not have a modern pistol. I have a .44 black powder revolver. Different yes, but what else am I to do to protect myself and my family?

imported post

But you can be a recipient of a gift @ 18. Maybe your birthday present will be the hangdun of your choice !! Yes, CC'ing is giving up to me, too. Louisiana "law" clearly indicates it's a PRIVILEGE, not a right.

Yea, New Orleans cops doing something illegal, who'd of ever thunk it ??
It's sad when a citizen has to live in fear of the very people who (supposedly) are protecting them. Sounds more like the mafia, if you ask me.

What you describe is not only extremely accurate, but problematic at the same time.
A true gun rights organization is what's needed to fight these people in CRIMINAL court. Since a lot of what your "finest" do is criminal and they ARE criminals (with badges), criminal court is where this battle should be waged.

Later in the day, I'll call down there, if nothing else but to see what they've got to say. I may even use our new printer to print up a letter of inquiry, snail mail them.
If I get any responses one way or another, I'll be sure to pass it along.

Hang in there, it's gonna be a looooooooong fight.

Quigbrew

imported post

Hi, I just moved down here from Montana last summer and am also going to UNO. I'm extremely interested in any response you may hear back on the issue. Please keep us updated!

John

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If you look through this forum a bit, you'll find that Estrch and I went to a NOPAC meeting in November in which Lt. Selbywas presiding. He acknowledged to estrch openly that OC was both legal and a right. (NOPAC is a citizen outreach type program by NOPD to keep in touch with neighborhood groups).

2things to beware of, however are the 2 schools in the French Quarter. Louisiana has a Gun Free School Zone law that extends the "no gun" zone out 1000 feet from any school. This law is constitutionally questionable, but has never been tested in state court, AFAIK. One school is on St. Phillip at Royal, and the other is on Dauphine at Dumaine.

captainbunch

imported post

XD-GEM said:

"2things to beware of, however are the 2 schools in the French Quarter. Louisiana has a Gun Free School Zone law that extends the "no gun" zone out 1000 feet from any school. This law is constitutionally questionable, but has never been tested in state court, AFAIK. One school is on St. Phillip at Royal, and the other is on Dauphine at Dumaine."

That's one of the problems. I live right behind one of those schools. I was at that meeting when Selby said it was legal. But I have also attended all other recent meetings, and he has made a few negative comments about open carrying. I couldn't care less if he doesn't like OC. I just don't trust the NOPD. Period. If I was in another parish, I'd go for it. But I'm not so sure in NOLA. Especially because my liberal neighbors hate guns and will call the police in hysterics because there's a man "walking around with a gun". Sure, no prison is nice, but OPP has some serious, hardcore bad guys in it.