• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need some help w/ Crim. Jus. professor

KY Soldier

imported post

OK guys my Criminal Justice professor is absolutely convinced that OCing in KY with out a permitor anywhere for that matter is illegal. I've proved him wrong on numerous other occasions about gun laws in our state (thanks to this wonderful site) and now I need some help again. Does anyone know the exact law that ALLOWS OC? Or where is the law that DOES NOT prohibit it? If anyone can link me to the actual KRS statute that would be great and I will finally shut this guy up.

Thanks to all in advance!

les_aker

imported post

KY Soldier wrote:
OK guys my Criminal Justice professor is absolutely convinced that OCing in KY with out a permitor anywhere for that matter is illegal. I've proved him wrong on numerous other occasions about gun laws in our state (thanks to this wonderful site) and now I need some help again. Does anyone know the exact law that ALLOWS OC? Or where is the law that DOES NOT prohibit it? If anyone can link me to the actual KRS statute that would be great and I will finally shut this guy up.

It is allowed because there is no law against it. And KY preempts any county/city/etc fromhaving their own gun laws.

So, I would simply supply the KY preemption, and ask him to provide a KY state law cite what restricts it. Elizabeth Baker used to be thePOC inFrankfort forgun carry issues. An email to her might do itas well.

[align=left]Elizabeth D. Baker[/align]
[align=left]Legal Counsel[/align]
[align=left]Kentucky State Police[/align]
[align=left]919 Versailles Rd.[/align]
Frankfort, KY 40601

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

KY Soldier wrote:
OK guys my Criminal Justice professor is absolutely convinced that OCing in KY with out a permitor anywhere for that matter is illegal. I've proved him wrong on numerous other occasions about gun laws in our state (thanks to this wonderful site) and now I need some help again. Does anyone know the exact law that ALLOWS OC? Or where is the law that DOES NOT prohibit it?...
Ask him what law allows him to wear those awful looking ties he wears!

Surely, that's against the law!

What podunk school employs such an ignorantCJ prof?

KY_CCDW

imported post

BB62 wro

I'll bet he is pulling KY Soldier's chain. Just trying to get him to search out and read the KY Constitution maybe?

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

KY_CCDW wrote:
BB62 wrote:

I'll bet he is pulling KY Soldier's chain. Just trying to get him to search out and read the KY Constitution maybe?
I guess we'll see, but I'm thinking you're giving him (the prof)too much credit!

KY Soldier?

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

There's an old saying.

"Those that can, DO, and those that can't, TEACH".

If this dimwit profknew the law, he'd be a practicing attorney with a lucrative income, instead of passing out misinformation about the law.

KY Soldier

imported post

Well guys for just about the 5th time this semester I proved him wrong thanks to your help. He is now convinced that KY has almost no gun laws. BTW for whoever asked I go to Northern Kentucky University, and yes, my prof. is very ignorant of laws pertaining to guns/gun control.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

KY Soldier wrote:
Well guys for just about the 5th time this semester I proved him wrong thanks to your help. He is now convinced that KY has almost no gun laws. BTW for whoever asked I go to Northern Kentucky University, and yes, my prof. is very ignorant of laws pertaining to guns/gun control.
Makes one wonder what the point is, to going to college, if the prof's don't know what they're talking about in the classroom.

fox689

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
Makes one wonder what the point is, to going to college, if the prof's don't know what they're talking about in the classroom.

Because the degree means more than the actual knowledge. I could be sitting on a 4 year degree in knowledge in my head and it won't mean sh*t at first without working my way up through a company or getting a degree and jumping a few steps on the ladder.

On the opposite end, I could know nothing but be good at temporarily memorizing things and have a 4 year degree. But then again, I'm going to be sliding down/kicked off the ladder if I show my degree is just a piece of paper.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

fox689 wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:

Because the degree means more than the actual knowledge. I could be sitting on a 4 year degree in knowledge in my head and it won't mean sh*t at first without working my way up through a company or getting a degree and jumping a few steps on the ladder.

On the opposite end, I could know nothing but be good at temporarily memorizing things and have a 4 year degree. But then again, I'm going to be sliding down/kicked off the ladder if I show my degree is just a piece of paper.

I wasn't questioning the value of a degree, but rather the sensibility of studying under instructors that don't know their subject matter. I mean, it doesn't make any more sense to study to be an accountant under someone that can't balance a checkbook, than to study law under a nitwit that doesn't know the laws.

This is probably how we end up with educated idiots with PhD's.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

KY Soldier wrote:
(my emphasis above)

LOL!

Gun laws are sooooeffective - ask the criminals in DC, Chicago, LA, etc. Does your CJ prof understand how the Second Amendment came to be?

Ask him if he knows that in KY one can have a fully loaded handgun on their car seat, in plain sight, with NO LICENSE required! That'll blow his mind.

PS - NKU, eh?I'm right across the river from you! You, me, and kyboyy ought to get together sometime!

KY Soldier

imported post

I have told him that and he said "NO Shit!!??" and looked kinda like this :shock: haha. I love it lol. But ya whoever is in the area I'm down to meet up but I must say for the time being I'm gun-less. I had someone back out on buying my bike so I get the shaft.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

KY Soldier wrote:
I have told him that and he said "NO @#$%!!??" and looked kinda like this :shock: haha. I love it lol. But ya whoever is in the area I'm down to meet up but I must say for the time being I'm gun-less. I had someone back out on buying my bike so I get the shaft.
Good for you!

Ask him how in his world, where more gun laws = less crime,KY (with supposedly NO gun laws) is notthe Wild West -that'll tie him in knots.

Maybe, just maybe, he will start to recognize his ignorance, rather than simply being an unaware ignoramous.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

KY Soldier wrote:

Are you in law school? Then find a KY authority noting that OC is legal.

Also, send him our map at http://www.opencarry.org/opencarry.htmlshowing that OC is legal in KY without permit in most states.

TheMrMitch

imported post

Copy this brief AND show it to him:

[align=left]Traveler's checklist:[/align]
[align=left] *Firearms Ownership: unrestricted, no permit or license required[/align]
[align=left]
*Assault weapon ownership: unrestricted, no permit or license required[/align]
[align=left] *Machine Gun Ownership:
no state restrictions, compliance with federal law only[/align]
[align=left] *Firearm law uniformity:
preemption law, firearm laws uniform throughout state[/align]
[align=left] *Right of Self-Defense: castle doctrine, right protected by statute[/align]
[align=left] *Open carry: unrestricted in most public areas and generally accepted[/align]
[align=left] *Concealed carry:
licenses granted to residents on a "shall issue" basis; automatic
reciprocity for nonresidents with licenses from other states[/align]

[align=left] *Vehicle carry and transportation:
firearms (rifles, shotguns and handguns) may
be carried
loaded and in plain view; loaded handguns maybe carried in
the glove compartment (center console box carry is not allowed)
[/align]
[align=left][/align]