• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Email from WWU

carhark

Opt-Out Members
Kitsap & Whatcom Counties, Washington, USA
imported post

I just received this email from the Western Washington University. There is also a link at the bottom. I wish WWU (and all universities for that matter) allowed carry on campus.

DATE: March 30, 2009 10:38:05 PST Campus Advisory
123378.jpg
123379.jpg

University Police are investigating a case of felony harassment and stalking involving a non-student. The individual has been arrested and is currently out of jail awaiting a trial later this spring. A condition of his release is that he have no contact with the victim, who is a Western student. He has also been banned from WWU and is subject to arrest if seen on campus.
HANSON, Kenneth Marshall
  • Age 18
  • Approx. 5' 07", 165 lbs
  • Brown eyes, brown hair
Prior to his arrest, Hanson had been seen on the WWU campus. He may attempt to visit one or more students in violation of the court order.
Hanson is believed to have access to weapons and is considered dangerous.
Contact University Police at ext. 3911 (650-3911) immediately if you see Hanson on or near the WWU campus.

View this document online

edited to make the pictures fit better

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

Concealed is concealed. Possession of a firearm isn't a crime on Washington's public university/college campuses.

I've told the story before, so I won't repeat it in length, but when I attended WWU, the campus police commander actually encouraged me to carry.

Charles

Vandal

imported post

Charles Paul Lincoln wrote:
Concealed is concealed.  Possession of a firearm isn't a crime on Washington's public university/college campuses.

I've told the story before, so I won't repeat it in length, but when I attended WWU, the campus police commander actually encouraged me to carry.

Charles

It may not be a crime, but if you are, for some reason, busted and ratted out, you won't be a student there much longer.

I do agree though, concealed means concealed.

scarlett1125

imported post

It's not a crime in the sense that you would go to jail, but it is a violation that can get one kicked out of school. While I understand the logic of carrying on campus, I also understand why students might not carry.

Nitrox314

imported post

Vandal wrote:
Concealed is concealed. Possession of a firearm isn't a crime on Washington's public university/college campuses.

Charles

It may not be a crime, but if you are, for some reason, busted and ratted out, you won't be a student there much longer.

This just happened to that former marine in Portland, Or right? He got kicked and then he sued. Anyone hear whether he won it?

bugly

imported post

Vandal wrote:

Charles

...getting killed by a released inmate waiting for trial will end your school days, too... at least there is a possibility of getting back in school when you're still alive...

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

Vandal wrote:
If you get kicked out of school for violating their gun policy, the odds of you getting into any college are very, very, very slim.

University of Phoenix -- all online courses, bachelor's and master's degrees. Not the only one, just one example.

I have three degrees and have attended five universities. None of them ever asked about previous universities except to transfer in credits -- how would they know you were suspended from the U unless you volunteered it? Worse comes to worse transfer those credits to an online university, and finish there.

I actually looked up the student code of condut for WWU last night, and it starts with this statement:

"Western Washington University students enjoy the basic rights of all members of society. "

It would be interesting for some old fart like me to enroll, carry, and be the test case. Hell, I don't need another degree . . . so nothing lost while the lawsuit goes forward. Now if I can only win the lottery to pay attorney fees.

Charles