• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

n8isaham

imported post

The VIPS (Volunteers for the Independence Police) will be hosting an Ohio Gun Laws presentation given by Sgt. John Kurtz at their regular meeting on Thursday, April 2nd, at 7:00 p.m., at the Independence Civic Center
6363 Selig Dr. Independence, OH 44131
in the Willow Room.
If you are over the age of 18, have questions about Ohio Gun Laws or would like information regarding Gun Safety or Concealed Carry, please feel free to attend this presentation.
Thank you,
Joe Vanecek
Training Officer - Independence Police Department
VIPS Liaison Officer

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

It may be worthwhile to post this information on the Buckeye Firearms and Ohioans for Concealed Carry forums.

v8shoguy

imported post

Is the Center where this is being held a posted no-carry zone? I feel that this is a pertinent piece of information for those of us contemplating attending.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

v8shoguy wrote:
Is the Center where this is being held a posted no-carry zone? I feel that this is a pertinent piece of information for those of us contemplating attending.
Whether it's posted or not, determiningwho owns the Centercould also answer that question.

n8isaham

imported post

I do believe it is a no carry zone. the school grounds are within the limit of no carry school zone. and i do believe it is posted no carry. and yes the city of independence owns the building and there is a county library attached to it.

The speaker is a trainer at one of the local conceal carry training facility and also a local LEO for City of Independence, Oh.

JSK333

imported post

n8isaham wrote:
I do believe it is a no carry zone. the school grounds are within the limit of no carry school zone. and i do believe it is posted no carry. and yes the city of independence owns the building and there is a county library attached to it.

The speaker is a trainer at one of the local conceal carry training facility and also a local LEO for City of Independence, Oh.

The signs are only to serve notice that concealed carry of handguns is illegal, per the ORC. Open carry is not explicitly forbidden in the ORC even though the sign may say "No weapons" and not specifically "No concealed weapons." But that is a point of law that I don't think has gone to court yet.

The school grounds issue would be a moot point if the person has a CHL, as long as the building itself is not on school grounds. The federal 1000ft rule only applies to non-license holders... and even then, was previously thrown out by the Supreme Court so the new one probably wouldn't stand up to a lawsuit either.

All this is my opinion from reading the law, but I am not a lawyer!

v8shoguy

imported post

The federal "school safety zone" and the state "school safety zone" are two different things.

State's definition is the real property that the school resides on. This is where firearms are not allowed, save the exceptions made in the ORC.

Federal "school safety zone" AKA "1000ft rule" is a sentence extender, primarily used to lengthen the sentences of drug traffickers. It only applies when an offense is committed. OC without permit != offense, no worries about the federal law.

edited for spelling

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

v8shoguy wrote:
...State's definition is the real property that the school resides on. This is where firearms are not allowed, save the exceptions made in the ORC...
No, the state definition for "school safety zone" is: school premises (which include the buildings, of course), school bus, school activity.

v8shoguy

imported post

Thanks for the correction, I knew I would miss something. Point is still that there is no magic 1000 ft bubble around schools where carry of an otherwise legal firearm becomes illegal.

Can anyone get eyes on this place to see if it is posted, or contact the host? Gun Laws presentation + CPZ = lots of guns in cars. If this is the case, it removes any chance I had of going. I wish they would consider the venue more thoroughly when holding events pertaining to firearms, and include that info.

JSK333

imported post

If it's owned by the city like others have said then it's mandatory no-concealed carry and is required to be posted by law.

However, like I said, the law does not forbid open carry in government buildings other than the ones explicitly listed in law: courthouse (2923.123) and school premises (2923.122). But many do not know this, including LEOs.

It may prove a good opportunity for discussion if you have the Revised Code to back it up. Mention how the other off-limits places for carry are all listed under this heading in 2923.126:

(B) A valid license issued under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun in any manner prohibited under division (B) of section 2923.12 of the Revised Code or in any manner prohibited under section 2923.16 of the Revised Code. A valid license does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun into any of the following places:

The law about signs that must be placed (2923.1212) does not specify places other than the above.

v8shoguy

imported post

Where does it say that city buildings shall be posted CPZs? Just curious, I haven't heard that one before, or come across it in the ORC.

n8isaham

imported post

this post was so that people could go and get some answers and it was open to the public. I for one dont need to carry to get answers. It was to get a Local law enforcement ( who was putting this on for the regular public ) I thought it was good that it was being talked about by local law. Not about can i carry there open or conceal. that was not what this was about.

Sometimes we just need to go and get answers without showing our guns. because if regular people are there and see a bunch of open carry people walking in they may not go. and that was the whole point to educate the rest of society who dont know what is legal and what is not. so maybe the next time they see you walking down the street they dont call it in and you get harassed.

if you go with your conceal carry and you see the no gun sticker , either leave it in the car or go home. your choice. this was not an invite to open carry to show the public we can.

some times its just what it is , nothing more need to be made of it.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

JSK333 wrote:
If it's owned by the city like others have said then it's mandatory no-concealed carry and is required to be posted by law.

However, like I said, the law does not forbid open carry in government buildings other than the ones explicitly listed in law: courthouse (2923.123) and school premises (2923.122)...
You shorted the list a bit, even though they are not all govt buildings:

There are only five places where OC is statutorily prohibited:

- A Courthouse or building in which a courthouse is located.
- A jail or detention facility
- A school or a school safety zone (unless certain conditions are met)
- A place for which liquor is being dispensed under a class D license
- A State run mental facility

Lthrnck

imported post

Did anyone get to this, any after action report available...?

Oh BTW...if you went and CC'd or OC'd, you probablly wouldn't scare people off... your more then likely to get more questions... why.. because that's why people came in the first place..

Just a thought.