Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My bank doesn't want me carrying

Post imported post

I open carried into the CFCU branch in Wake Forest today and ended up having a conversation with the manager, who does not want me carrying at all when I'm in the bank. The reasons she gave were:

1) Not wanting other patrons to be frightened (she was the only one who had noticed me when she initially approached me).

2) Not wanting "bullets flying everywhere" if someone were to rob the bank while I was there (never mind the fact that a patron open carrying would likely discourage the robber from even entering the bank).

She was polite enough, but was obviously just scared to death of guns herself. She said she would be contacting the regional manager to request stickers for the doors to prevent folks from carrying (she said I was the second person to carry into the bank this week).

I explained why I carried, that I was required by law to carry openly in the bank despite my concealed carry permit, and that I would be moving my account elsewhere if I was forced to disarm when entering the bank. I politely encouraged her to reconsider her position and left.

I'd like to follow up with a letter to her as well as her regional manager, in hopes of at least convincing the regional manager not to put up any silly stickers to prevent law abiding citizens from carrying in the bank.

Any suggestions as to what I should include in these letters? I'll be polite, of course, but I want to take full advantage of this opportunity to educate both managers in the logic of allowing their patrons to carry. This is the first of such letters I've written so I'd appreciate any advice.

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA

Post imported post

I'd be sure and make certain that they understand that by incorporating their own personal anti-gun policy, even though its not state law, that they will be losing business. I'd even maybe mention something like a possible scenario that you could use just as an example of why you wouldn't want to be there unarmed and unprotected. Like maybe I'd say,

"Even desperate bank robbers know there is a VERY stiff prison sentence for armed robbery of a bank. So someone who is desperate enough to rob a bank is surely desperate enough to not care whether they have to shoot the teller or clerk or the little bank manager or any innocent customer in that bank if it means they can make their getaway with the cash. Although bank robberies may not be COMMON occurrences, they DO happen in this country, and people do sometimes get hurt and killed in the process. Playing the odds and simply 'praying' that a scenario like this never occurs in my own lifetime is a gamble and one that is not worth the risk."

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

What should I put in a letter to the regional manager?
    Buh bye!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

As far as suggestions, its kinda hard to say.

I doubt anything will change the policy, so I guess there would be a lot of lattitude.

I might take the insulted/offended approach since that seems to be all the rage today. "I am deeplyinsulted that your branch manager chose to characterize my skill,training level, and judgement with the phrase, "spray bullets everywhere." Etc.

I might also include that I am deeply insulted the branch manager thought I would believe that putting up signs would keep out bank robbers. "Did she really think I was so stupid as to believe that?"

Anotherangle might be, "I am very offended that your branch manager decided to accost and eject me. Must take a lot of courage to do that to a lawfully armed citizen who you know will respect your wishes. Do you really think I would believe for one minute she would have the guts to do that to an armed robber? No! I was targeted because I am a soft target for her. Cowardly! Thanks a lot!!"

The main idea being to penetrate their little wall of delusional safety.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

I've open carried at the Cary branch of CFCU (the one in Crescent Commons) a few times without any issues. It seems that your branch manager is just a hoplophobe.

Post imported post

It seems that your branch manager is just a hoplophobe.
    I think you're right. That was the impression I got when talking with her. She didn't know the law and acted very surprised when I explained that there are actually many, many people who choose to carry. Her reaction was totally emotional: guns make her feel scared, thus she doesn't want to have to see them.

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    As far as suggestions, its kinda hard to say.

I doubt anything will change the policy, so I guess there would be a lot of lattitude.

I might take the insulted/offended approach since that seems to be all the rage today. "I am deeplyinsulted that your branch manager chose to characterize my skill,training level, and judgement with the phrase, "spray bullets everywhere." Etc.

I might also include that I am deeply insulted the branch manager thought I would believe that putting up signs would keep out bank robbers. "Did she really think I was so stupid as to believe that?"

Anotherangle might be, "I am very offended that your branch manager decided to accost and eject me. Must take a lot of courage to do that to a lawfully armed citizen who you know will respect your wishes. Do you really think I would believe for one minute she would have the guts to do that to an armed robber? No! I was targeted because I am a soft target for her. Cowardly! Thanks a lot!!"

The main idea being to penetrate their little wall of delusional safety.
    I am totally digging this guy's ideas.. Those are definitely good approaches.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

You might point out to the branch manager and her higher-up that by posting "NO Firearms" signs, they will be inviting a bank robbery. The robbers will feel quite secure in being able to execute a heist without fear of personal injury to themselves.

Nightline just ran a piece tonight about the increase of Bank robberies across the country, and the ease in-which theyare beingpulled off.

Post imported post

Time to switch banks. State Employee's Credit Union gives me no trouble.
    Subsisto tutus. Subsisto secundus emendatio.

Tyrants come in all shapes and sizes, as do those who do their bidding. Anyone who tells you that the threat of tyranny is long over, is either a fool, an enemy, or BOTH.

Post imported post

I'll call my branch today and see if the CFCU manager on Page Rd can give me their official policy. You can also say something to theaffectthat I know many people like me who have accounts there and would be more inclined to move theirmoney as well if the official policy is not to allow open carry.

Post imported post

Custodian wrote:
    Time to switch banks. State Employee's Credit Union gives me no trouble.
    Interesting, my SECU branch outside of Hickory (Mountain View)is posted "no firearms". But it's a goofy little green sign. Never seen one like it before. The First Citizens I bank with also is not posted, but I have not tried carrying in there.

Post imported post

Please PM the regional person's contact information. I have several accounts (loans, checking, savings, corporate checking, etc) through that same branch. I have not open carried there, but I would have no problem contacting them to let them know OC isn't something they should restrict.

Post imported post

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Good stuff. I sent two letters last week: one to the regional manager and one to the branch manager. I received a call from the branch manager today letting me know that the regional manager was "talking it over" with his supervisor and would be contacting me soon. I'll post again when I have something new to report.

Post imported post

Post imported post

Bad news. Received a phone call from the VP of Retail Sales and Service today, Jim Pack. He said CFCU has had various "incidents" (as he put it) over the past few years with people OC'ing in their branches. Apparently, my letter was the last straw because he said they finally got the board together and decided how to proceed with this issue. Unfortunately, the decision was to post signs in their branches prohibiting the legal carry of firearms.

I talked with him for a little bit, asked some pointed questions, and argued (politely) for my side, but in the end I knew the decision had already been made and there wasn't anything I could do. I will, of course, be closing my accounts at CFCU right away. Any recommendations on another bank or credit union that doesn't stomp on my rights so blatantly?

I'd still like to take advantage of this opportunity to exert influence. I'm not sure if it would be possible to publicize what has gone on here. I'll be looking into various ways of doing that. Any suggestions as to how I could get additional publicity about this would be appreciated.

Post imported post

By the way, PM me if you want to call Jim and complain (politely). I can give you his phone number and mailing address.

Post imported post

I've OC'd in the Cary Harrison Ave/Chapel Hill Road Branch on a number of occasions without incident. Since I never go inside just to use a teller, I always end up talking to the receptionist with my back to the teller line, and my gun (left side) to the offices of the branch officers.

Never had a problem.

If they post, I'll either move my accounts elsewhere, or switch to ATM/online/drive-through banking only.

I'd appreciate the address and phone number of the person to contact.

Post imported post

Contact information sent. I feel bad that my letter apparently prompted them to make a final decision regarding this. At the same time, I realize that a decision was inevitable sooner or later. I guess it was just really bad luck that the branch closest to me also happened to have a hoplophobic manager who decided to make a stink about the situation, despite the fact that not a single customer had complained to her about it.

Post imported post

glockaholic wrote:
    Contact information sent. I feel bad that my letter apparently prompted them to make a final decision regarding this. At the same time, I realize that a decision was inevitable sooner or later...
    Don't feel bad - you did what you could do at the time.

I would consider sending the Presidentaletter saying that it is a shame that the bank is going to lose your business, and the business of other law-abiding citizens, over unspecified "incidents" that I imagine his bank employees created in the first place.

If appropriate, ask him if the "logic" that seems to have been applied to the decision-making process would be acceptable if his VP's used it to justifyan investment decision, for instance.

Post imported post

I think when places do this, a phone number with a contact name should be posted so some of can call and excercise are right to choose another bank...

Post imported post

I think when places do this, a phone number with a contact name should be posted so some of can call and excercise are right to choose another bank...
    I'd be happy to PM you the contact information. I don't feel comfortable posting it in public at this time.

Post imported post

Not a big deal, just a suggestion. The other forum I belong to, does sometimes post contact information for all us to speak our minds..

Post imported post

Rogue40 wrote:
    Just go to their website contact page and give them a ring. Ask for Jim Pack, VP Retail Sales. I'm pretty sure it'll be easy to get his contactinformation.

I think this is it. glockaholic wrote:
    Contact information sent. I feel bad that my letter apparently prompted them to make a final decision regarding this. At the same time, I realize that a decision was inevitable sooner or later. I guess it was just really bad luck that the branch closest to me also happened to have a hoplophobic manager who decided to make a stink about the situation, despite the fact that not a single customer had complained to her about it.
    I don't see how you personally caused the corporate policy to become what it has become. It's the behavior they're reacting to and their predicted behavior of others they are concerned with. They see it as a rational decision for their organization and customer base. And, based on the factors they considered, it probably is.

Post imported post

I know I'll take some heat for this, But I just have to say it.

Tell the VP that according to the news stories, and statistics, most bank robbers are people of color, and when will they post signs against any of them from doing business there ??

NO I am NOT a racist

I am White, My wife is NOT......

I'm just saying, How can they choose to ignore some rights, and trample on others ????

Post imported post

tracylaud83 wrote:
    Tell the VP that according to the news stories, and statistics, most bank robbers are people of color, and when will they post signs against any of them from doing business there ??

I'm just saying, How can they choose to ignore some rights, and trample on others ????
    Assuming what you say is true, how is it beneficial to tell the VP that most bank robbers are people of color and that they should (it seems you are suggesting something like this) post signs saying "No carry of guns by people of color." or "No non-white customers allowed." That doesn't make any sense at all.

I don't get what your point is. I can't figure out what you're getting at. Can you clarify what you are suggesting? What would the signs say that you are using in your illustration?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast