• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My bank doesn't want me carrying

glockaholic

imported post

I open carried into the CFCU branch in Wake Forest today and ended up having a conversation with the manager, who does not want me carrying at all when I'm in the bank. The reasons she gave were:

1) Not wanting other patrons to be frightened (she was the only one who had noticed me when she initially approached me).

2) Not wanting "bullets flying everywhere" if someone were to rob the bank while I was there (never mind the fact that a patron open carrying would likely discourage the robber from even entering the bank).

She was polite enough, but was obviously just scared to death of guns herself. She said she would be contacting the regional manager to request stickers for the doors to prevent folks from carrying (she said I was the second person to carry into the bank this week).

I explained why I carried, that I was required by law to carry openly in the bank despite my concealed carry permit, and that I would be moving my account elsewhere if I was forced to disarm when entering the bank. I politely encouraged her to reconsider her position and left.

I'd like to follow up with a letter to her as well as her regional manager, in hopes of at least convincing the regional manager not to put up any silly stickers to prevent law abiding citizens from carrying in the bank.

Any suggestions as to what I should include in these letters? I'll be polite, of course, but I want to take full advantage of this opportunity to educate both managers in the logic of allowing their patrons to carry. This is the first of such letters I've written so I'd appreciate any advice.

BRobb19

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA
imported post

I'd be sure and make certain that they understand that by incorporating their own personal anti-gun policy, even though its not state law, that they will be losing business. I'd even maybe mention something like a possible scenario that you could use just as an example of why you wouldn't want to be there unarmed and unprotected. Like maybe I'd say,

"Even desperate bank robbers know there is a VERY stiff prison sentence for armed robbery of a bank. So someone who is desperate enough to rob a bank is surely desperate enough to not care whether they have to shoot the teller or clerk or the little bank manager or any innocent customer in that bank if it means they can make their getaway with the cash. Although bank robberies may not be COMMON occurrences, they DO happen in this country, and people do sometimes get hurt and killed in the process. Playing the odds and simply 'praying' that a scenario like this never occurs in my own lifetime is a gamble and one that is not worth the risk."

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

As far as suggestions, its kinda hard to say.

I doubt anything will change the policy, so I guess there would be a lot of lattitude.

I might take the insulted/offended approach since that seems to be all the rage today. "I am deeplyinsulted that your branch manager chose to characterize my skill,training level, and judgement with the phrase, "spray bullets everywhere." Etc.

I might also include that I am deeply insulted the branch manager thought I would believe that putting up signs would keep out bank robbers. "Did she really think I was so stupid as to believe that?"

Anotherangle might be, "I am very offended that your branch manager decided to accost and eject me. Must take a lot of courage to do that to a lawfully armed citizen who you know will respect your wishes. Do you really think I would believe for one minute she would have the guts to do that to an armed robber? No! I was targeted because I am a soft target for her. Cowardly! Thanks a lot!!"

The main idea being to penetrate their little wall of delusional safety.

kdcyyz

imported post

I've open carried at the Cary branch of CFCU (the one in Crescent Commons) a few times without any issues. It seems that your branch manager is just a hoplophobe.

glockaholic

imported post

It seems that your branch manager is just a hoplophobe.

I think you're right. That was the impression I got when talking with her. She didn't know the law and acted very surprised when I explained that there are actually many, many people who choose to carry. Her reaction was totally emotional: guns make her feel scared, thus she doesn't want to have to see them.

BRobb19

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA
imported post

Citizen wrote:
As far as suggestions, its kinda hard to say.

I doubt anything will change the policy, so I guess there would be a lot of lattitude.

I might take the insulted/offended approach since that seems to be all the rage today. "I am deeplyinsulted that your branch manager chose to characterize my skill,training level, and judgement with the phrase, "spray bullets everywhere." Etc.

I might also include that I am deeply insulted the branch manager thought I would believe that putting up signs would keep out bank robbers. "Did she really think I was so stupid as to believe that?"

Anotherangle might be, "I am very offended that your branch manager decided to accost and eject me. Must take a lot of courage to do that to a lawfully armed citizen who you know will respect your wishes. Do you really think I would believe for one minute she would have the guts to do that to an armed robber? No! I was targeted because I am a soft target for her. Cowardly! Thanks a lot!!"

The main idea being to penetrate their little wall of delusional safety.
I am totally digging this guy's ideas.. Those are definitely good approaches.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You might point out to the branch manager and her higher-up that by posting "NO Firearms" signs, they will be inviting a bank robbery. The robbers will feel quite secure in being able to execute a heist without fear of personal injury to themselves.

Nightline just ran a piece tonight about the increase of Bank robberies across the country, and the ease in-which theyare beingpulled off.

Caveman93

imported post

I'll call my branch today and see if the CFCU manager on Page Rd can give me their official policy. You can also say something to theaffectthat I know many people like me who have accounts there and would be more inclined to move theirmoney as well if the official policy is not to allow open carry.

chiefjason

imported post

Custodian wrote:
Time to switch banks. State Employee's Credit Union gives me no trouble.
Interesting, my SECU branch outside of Hickory (Mountain View)is posted "no firearms". But it's a goofy little green sign. Never seen one like it before. The First Citizens I bank with also is not posted, but I have not tried carrying in there.

ScubaSteve

imported post

Please PM the regional person's contact information. I have several accounts (loans, checking, savings, corporate checking, etc) through that same branch. I have not open carried there, but I would have no problem contacting them to let them know OC isn't something they should restrict.

glockaholic

imported post

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Good stuff. I sent two letters last week: one to the regional manager and one to the branch manager. I received a call from the branch manager today letting me know that the regional manager was "talking it over" with his supervisor and would be contacting me soon. I'll post again when I have something new to report.

WNC Seabee

imported post

s1617962566_119680_895.jpg

glockaholic

imported post

Bad news. Received a phone call from the VP of Retail Sales and Service today, Jim Pack. He said CFCU has had various "incidents" (as he put it) over the past few years with people OC'ing in their branches. Apparently, my letter was the last straw because he said they finally got the board together and decided how to proceed with this issue. Unfortunately, the decision was to post signs in their branches prohibiting the legal carry of firearms.

:cuss: :banghead:

I talked with him for a little bit, asked some pointed questions, and argued (politely) for my side, but in the end I knew the decision had already been made and there wasn't anything I could do. I will, of course, be closing my accounts at CFCU right away. Any recommendations on another bank or credit union that doesn't stomp on my rights so blatantly?

I'd still like to take advantage of this opportunity to exert influence. I'm not sure if it would be possible to publicize what has gone on here. I'll be looking into various ways of doing that. Any suggestions as to how I could get additional publicity about this would be appreciated.

Fahrenheit

imported post

I've OC'd in the Cary Harrison Ave/Chapel Hill Road Branch on a number of occasions without incident. Since I never go inside just to use a teller, I always end up talking to the receptionist with my back to the teller line, and my gun (left side) to the offices of the branch officers.

Never had a problem.

If they post, I'll either move my accounts elsewhere, or switch to ATM/online/drive-through banking only.

I'd appreciate the address and phone number of the person to contact.

glockaholic

imported post

Contact information sent. I feel bad that my letter apparently prompted them to make a final decision regarding this. At the same time, I realize that a decision was inevitable sooner or later. I guess it was just really bad luck that the branch closest to me also happened to have a hoplophobic manager who decided to make a stink about the situation, despite the fact that not a single customer had complained to her about it.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

glockaholic wrote:
Contact information sent. I feel bad that my letter apparently prompted them to make a final decision regarding this. At the same time, I realize that a decision was inevitable sooner or later...
Don't feel bad - you did what you could do at the time.

I would consider sending the Presidentaletter saying that it is a shame that the bank is going to lose your business, and the business of other law-abiding citizens, over unspecified "incidents" that I imagine his bank employees created in the first place.

If appropriate, ask him if the "logic" that seems to have been applied to the decision-making process would be acceptable if his VP's used it to justifyan investment decision, for instance.

Rogue40

imported post

I think when places do this, a phone number with a contact name should be posted so some of can call and excercise are right to choose another bank...