• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

'Not 'lovin' it,' he shoots Mickey D's drive-through', SLTrib.com

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_12026391

A McDonald's drive-through was shot up early Sunday after a customer was angered that the restaurant had shifted from the lunch menu to the breakfast menu, police said.

The driver of a white Dodge Intrepid pulled into the drive-through at about 2 a.m. at McDonald's at 210 W. 500 South in Salt Lake City and ordered food from the lunch and dinner menu, police said.

When a clerk told her the restaurant was serving only items from the breakfast menu, the woman drove to the second window, police said. Two men got out of the car, and one pulled a sawed-off shotgun out of the trunk, police said. He fired once or twice into the drive-though window before the two men and the woman left on 500 South and turned north on 300 West, police said.

The Intrepid was last seen going west over the viaduct on 400 South. The shooter was described as Polynesian, 6 feet 1 inch tall, with long hair in a ponytail, a beanie cap and a white T-shirt, police said.

No one was injured in the shooting, police said. Officers did not know how many employees were in the restaurant at the time.

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
http://www.sltrib.com/ci_12026391
one pulled a sawed-off shotgun out of the trunk,
I'll bet you an egg McMuffin that is was not really a sawed off shotgun.

The Lib Trib just loves using "scary gun terms".
I was thinking the same thing. But my guess is the worker who got shot at described it as a sawed off, and the media were all to happy to run with that terminology.

And people ask why I carry when I go out to eat.

b1ack5mith

imported post

ofcorse, just like when i went to OC at a burger place here in payson... a dude behind me whispered to his wife "ive seen one of those before! its a full automatic!"

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
one pulled a sawed-off shotgun out of the trunk, police said...The shooter was described as Polynesian, 6 feet 1 inch tall, with long hair in a ponytail, a beanie cap and a white T-shirt, police said.
A fine illustration of the difference between precision (these are precise descriptions) and accuracy (precise descriptions of dubious accuracy).

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

A breakfast menu extremist!!

This must be checked out by the government. Assign the NSA computers to scan andfind if there is a nexus between breakfast menu-extremists and Ron Paul supporters!

Utah_Patriot

imported post

Just today I ordered off the Breakfast At McDonalds and had to laugh when I asked them if they were still serving breakfast. I don't think they got it because I was the only one chuckling.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

No mention of a sawed-off shotgun on KSL.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=6004746
Weekend shootings may be connected
March 30th, 2009 @ 4:00pm

SALT LAKE CITY -- Police want to find out whether two weekend shootings are connected. The first happened near Rose Park and the second at a downtown McDonald's.

The McDonald's shooting happened at about 2 a.m. Sunday at 210 W. 500 South.

Police say a woman driving a white Dodge Intrepid became upset after learning the restaurant was no longer serving dinner and had switched to its breakfast menu.

Salt Lake City police Detective Dennis McGowan says one of the two males that was in the car with the woman demanded that they be served dinner. When the clerk told them no, the car pulled forward.

Police say two men got out and one pulled a shotgun out of the trunk.

"Once the clerk saw the gun, the clerk dove for cover. A few seconds later they heard the blast, and the shotgun blast ripped apart the drive-thru window," said McGowan. The clerk was unhurt.

McGowan said, "They were irate. They weren't pleased that McDonald's wasn't serving lunch at 2:00 in the morning."

The car then sped away. McGowan says detectives were able to find surveillance tape from a nearby business, but the video wasn't able to give them any further information.

The owner of the McDonald's restaurant, Chris Beck-McKay, says all they really care about is that no one was hurt. She says the workers are shaken up and a bit traumatized, but they're OK, and that's the most important thing. They're still working on a damage estimate, but she says that's not their biggest concern.

About five hours earlier, police say a man was sitting on his porch near 1800 West and 400 North when a tan car drove by with a passenger yelling out the window.

A few minutes later a silver car with a "for sale" sign in the back window drove by with the same passenger. This time he fired four to six shots at the man, who was struck by building fragments.

Police say the shooter in this case looks similar to the McDonald's shooting. He's about 6 feet 2 inches tall, weighs approximately 270 pounds and has long, curly hair in a ponytail.

The driver in this case was female as well.

Police don't have any motive in that first shooting. The brother of the man shot while sitting on his porch says he's never seen the shooter before.

b1ack5mith

imported post

i see these stupid things alll the time... "criminal was caught with a concealed weapon in his vehicle" yeahhh... they think that "concealed" and "handgun" are the same word.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
criminal was caught with a concealed weapon in his vehicle
To be fair with liberal writers, this one is usually true. The way Utah law is written on concealed firearms, anyone without a permit could easily be charged with concealment in a vehicle if they are not careful.

Hopefully after May 11th, you will hear about this less, but I doubt it. :?

thx997303

imported post

Hmm, I wonder how this affects vehicle carry in a school zone.

Do you still need it securely encased? That would pretty much defeat the purpose of this bill cause there are school zones evewrywhere.

I guess you could have it securely encased in the glove box now.

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Hmm, I wonder how this affects vehicle carry in a school zone.

Do you still need it securely encased? That would pretty much defeat the purpose of this bill cause there are school zones evewrywhere.

I guess you could have it securely encased in the glove box now.
Utah law has an exemption for being in a school zone as long as you are in a vehicle. So no more worries about that.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

jaredbelch wrote:
Utah law has an exemption for being in a school zone as long as you are in a vehicle. So no more worries about that.

Jared is correct on this one.

76-10-505.5. Possession of a dangerous weapon, firearm, or sawed-off shotgun on or about school premises -- Penalties.
(1) A person may not possess any dangerous weapon, firearm, or sawed-off shotgun, as those terms are defined in Section 76-10-501, at a place that the person knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is on or about school premises as defined in Subsection 76-3-203.2(1).
(2) (a) Possession of a dangerous weapon on or about school premises is a class B misdemeanor.
(b) Possession of a firearm or sawed-off shotgun on or about school premises is a class A misdemeanor.
(3) This section does not apply if:
(a) the person is authorized to possess a firearm as provided under Section 53-5-704, 53-5-705, 76-10-511, or 76-10-523, or as otherwise authorized by law;
(b) the possession is approved by the responsible school administrator;
(c) the item is present or to be used in connection with a lawful, approved activity and is in the possession or under the control of the person responsible for its possession or use; or
(d) the possession is:
(i) at the person's place of residence or on the person's property;
(ii) in any vehicle lawfully under the person's control, other than a vehicle owned by the school or used by the school to transport students; or
(iii) at the person's place of business which is not located in the areas described in Subsection 76-3-203.2(1)(a)(i), (ii), or (iv).
(4) This section does not prohibit prosecution of a more serious weapons offense that may occur on or about school premises.

Even though you are exempted from Utah's broad definition of schools, you still need to be careful around K-12 schools if you don't have a permit.

U.S.C. 18, 922 (2)

(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone. (B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—

(iii) that is—
(I) not loaded; and
(II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;

There is a good chance that if you are reading the above, that you haveprobablyviolated it at one point. :lol:

It is nearly unenforcable, and unconstitutional. But the idea is to obey the law, and work on fixing it.