• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I got kicked out of Sport Authority on Baseline

exKommiefornian

imported post

I went to "Sports Authority" near baseline in Mesa
to buy some grip tape.
I was wearing my Glock21 on my side.
The sales boy asked me to step outside a
nd put my gun in my car
because they sell "Live Ammo"!
The whole while he was giving me the evil eye
like I am some sort of criminal!
I asked if there is a sign and he sad no.
I went to my car and drove away
not wanting to spend my money there
after that insult.
What should I have done or said?
What are the laws pertaining to this situation?

GWbiker

imported post

"Because they sell live ammo"......... That sales kid say that with a straight face?

I would bypass that idiot and have asked to speak with the store manager.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

exKommiefornian wrote:
I went to "Sports Authority" near baseline in Mesa
to buy some grip tape.
I was wearing my Glock21 on my side.
The sales boy asked me to step outside a
nd put my gun in my car
because they sell "Live Ammo"!
The whole while he was giving me the evil eye
like I am some sort of criminal!
I asked if there is a sign and he sad no.
I went to my car and drove away
not wanting to spend my money there
after that insult.
What should I have done or said?
Its helpful to have a date for the encounter. It helps others to know whether this is a current situation or one from months ago.

exKommiefornian

imported post

In response the reply of "Citizen"...
It happened on the date of my posting.
Are You a resident of Arizona?
Are You familiar with Arizona Gun Laws pertaining to this situation?
It says that you are from "Va".
If you don't live here, what can YOU contribute to this conversation
other than your opinion?
If you don't live here or know the laws here,
please don't waste my time.
This is the "Arizona" section right?
No offense intended.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

This is their number: Customer Service 1.888.801.9164

'Hope you got the 'boys' name. 'Prob'ly some teabag tofu transplant from Kommiefornia.

exKommiefornian

imported post

GWbiker wrote:
"Because they sell live ammo"......... That sales kid say that with a straight face? 

I would bypass that idiot and have asked to speak with the store manager.

Yeah, I should-have!
Unfortunately, I was so surprised that he said-that,
that I was not able to come-up with that or other good replies
at the time. I think I will call and ask to speak to the manager.

exKommiefornian

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:

'Hope you got the 'boys' name.  'Prob'ly some teabag tofu transplant from Kommiefornia.

No I was so taken-aback that I didn't do anything other than
keep my mouth shut.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

exKommiefornian wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:

'Hope you got the 'boys' name. 'Prob'ly some teabag tofu transplant from Kommiefornia.

keep my mouth shut.
Kommiefornia konditioning!

exKommiefornian

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
exKommiefornian wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:

'Hope you got the 'boys' name.  'Prob'ly some teabag tofu transplant from Kommiefornia.

keep my mouth shut.
Kommiefornia konditioning!

HaHa! You're probably right!

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Why the nastiness exKommiefornian? Citizen is likely just trying to be helpful in assuring you get the best resolution possible. Although you'll see Virginia next to my name I'm a former Arizona resident myself and the differences between the laws of my current state aren't all that different from those of Arizona. The stuff you'll run into in Arizona is stuff we run into in Virginia as well.

Mellow out and realize that we are here to help each other. :)

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I've never had anybody accost me while armed 'n tell me to 'leave' 'cause I was armed. If the place isopen to thepublic andis not posted... No wimp register jockey is gonna dictate what I do... or howI do it. Not in Arizona at least. 'Live ammo?'... As opposed to... 'Dead ammo?"

Decoligny

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
I've never had anybody accost me while armed 'n tell me to 'leave' 'cause I was armed. If the place isopen to thepublic andis not posted... No wimp register jockey is gonna dictate what I do... or howI do it. Not in Arizona at least. 'Live ammo?'... As opposed to... 'Dead ammo?"

Exactly, he should have asked: "You mean like the ammo I have right here in my gun?"

What the hell did the kid think he was gonna do? Maybe take the "blanks" out of his gun and replace them with "live ammo" and shoot the place up?

:banghead: I don't have an anger problem.........I have an IDIOT problem!

exKommiefornian

imported post

jmelvin wrote:
Why the nastiness exKommiefornian?  Citizen is likely just trying to be helpful in assuring you get the best resolution possible.  Although you'll see Virginia next to my name I'm a former Arizona resident myself and the differences between the laws of my current state aren't all that different from those of Arizona.  The stuff you'll run into in Arizona is stuff we run into in Virginia as well.

Mellow out and realize that we are here to help each other. :)

I am looking for comments that can actually help in this situation
such as comments from people who know the laws in AZ.
Again, I am not looking for opinions from people from other
states who are well-intentioned and sympathize, but most likely
are not knowledgeable of AZ laws. Sorry for the offense.
If you are ex-AZ AND you know the laws in AZ pertaining to this kind
of situation, then I welcome your advise. I'm not interested in the
"similar" laws in Va or any other state. I am not looking to piss-off people
from Va or any other state, but I am only looking for valid info
from MY state. If that seems like I'm not being "mellow" enough
for you, then so be it.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Whether you be here or there, you should've stopped and spoken with the manager on duty instead of just leaving. The laws of Arizona generally require that a store have obvious (see case law for what is acceptable and not)signage when they bar the carrying of firearms, but there are also provisions that allow for business operators to address you on an individual basis. Register kid likely doesn't have the authority to address your carriage of a firearm (since he is likely not the representative of the store on this matter), but the manager on duty would.

Since you did not stay around to talk to the management directly your best course for the redress of the issue would be to either call the store management and if you do not receive satisfactory redress that way, speak with the corporate customer service group. If the store manager is any bit familiar with Arizona law and customs and respects both then you will likely have your issue taken up to your satisfaction, however the corporate office would be the next appropriate point of contact if no satisfaction is received.

The issue you have had at this particular store is one that people all across the U.S. have on occasion, whether they be in Arizona, Virginia, Indiana or Alaska. Take a look across the whole of this board and you will see many topics posted with similar scenarios and you will also notice that the resolutions for redress are quite similar despite the peculiarities of an individual state (although this may come into play depending on what state you live in).

exKommiefornian

imported post

jmelvin wrote:
Whether you be here or there, you should've stopped and spoken with the manager on duty instead of just leaving.  The laws of Arizona generally require that a store have obvious (see case law for what is acceptable and not) signage when they bar the carrying of firearms, but there are also provisions that allow for business operators to address you on an individual basis.  Register kid likely doesn't have the authority to address your carriage of a firearm (since he is likely not the representative of the store on this matter), but the manager on duty would. 

Since you did not stay around to talk to the management directly your best course for the redress of the issue would be to either call the store management and if you do not receive satisfactory redress that way, speak with the corporate customer service group.  If the store manager is any bit familiar with Arizona law and customs and respects both then you will likely have your issue taken up to your satisfaction, however the corporate office would be the next appropriate point of contact if no satisfaction is received.

The issue you have had at this particular store is one that people all across the U.S. have on occasion, whether they be in Arizona, Virginia, Indiana or Alaska.  Take a look across the whole of this board and you will see many topics posted with similar scenarios and you will also notice that the resolutions for redress are quite similar despite the peculiarities of an individual state (although this may come into play depending on what state you live in). 

I thought that I made myself clear that I am not interested in opinions
from other states! Perhaps I didn't.
This is the "ARIZONA" forum sir.
Not the "Whole Entire United States Forum".
Your comments are not welcome by me or valid unless you are knowledgeable with AZ laws.
You yourself even mention that a individual state has it's own peculiarities.
I don't give a hoot of how it is in other states, no matter how "similar" you claim the laws are, nor will the judge if I do something wrong based on advise coming from somebody who lives in some other state.
I will no longer acknowledge posts from other states with regards to this issue, unless the person is knowledgeable with AZ laws concerning this type of issue. I'm sorry that it seems I'm being an jerk in this matter.
But I'd rather be correct with regards to AZ law.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

exKommie, my suggestions were given to you with respect to Arizona law of which I'm knowledgeable despite not being present there currently. Perhaps you are best served having tucked tail and run awaysince you cannot even take the courteous instruction given to you which you requested. Once you have determined the appropriate course of action for redress of your grievance please come back and school us on just how you go about addressing a large sporting goods company with regard to its firearm carry policies.

Perhaps you should do well to sit down and read through the Arizona Gun Owners Guide by Alan Korwin or familiarize yourself with the Arizona legislature website so you are aware of the laws governing firearms carry within Arizona before you find yourself in a pickle like you did in Sports Authority.

Edit to Add: I dare say that if you are so concerned with surviving a court room scenario and youare not willing to take the suggestions of the common person familiar with Arizona law you'd do well to learn it yourself and hire an attorney intimately familiar with Arizona law to advise you if you plan to OC as open carry leaves no room for mistakes.