• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Goodbye

Edward Peruta

imported post

cacop leaving is not good for anyone.

This post is in support of all pollice officers who have to face difficult situtations without knowing when or where.

We have the right to carry, but officers have the right to be careful and go home at the end of their shift.

I know both the officers in this incident very well, and have a pending law suit against the Sgt. in this article, but they are both decent individuals.

I made a comment to Det. O'Brien about his need for marksmanship rehab and he told me the story and there's a very interesting piece of evidence that should open everyones eyes when it's made public.

I also wonder why the other officers didn't fire when faced with someone pointing a weapon at them in a threatening life or death manner.

I believe that mistakes were made in this situation by every officer except Det. O'Brien who took the shots when confronted with deadly force!!

Read for yourself:

DEFENDANTS: POLICE CHIEF, EIGHT OFFICERS

Man Convicted In Rocky Hill Gun Incident Sues Police
By CHRISTINE DEMPSEY | The Hartford Courant
March 3, 2009

ROCKY HILL — - A man who was shot at by police after he repeatedly pointed a rifle at officers during an incident in 2007 is suing the town, saying police used excessive force.

Derek Greenwald's lawsuit was filed last month in Superior Court in Hartford and has since been moved to U.S. District Court. It names Police Chief Michael Custer and eight officers — including a lieutenant and a sergeant — who were at the tense scene on the night of Nov. 9, 2007. They are being sued as individuals and in their official capacities; Greenwald is asking for more than $2,500.

The lawsuit says police arrested Greenwald without probable cause and says, "At no time did the plaintiff threaten or pose a danger of bodily harm."

The suit doesn't mention that Greenwald had a gun and that he was arrested and convicted of two counts of criminal attempt to commit assault on an officer. Neither Greenwald's lawyer, A. Paul Spinella, nor Custer could be reached for comment.

The suit says Greenwald "suffered disabling injuries, including ... post-traumatic stress disorder, depression, loss of dignity, anxiety, loss of professional job, loss of enjoyment of life's activities, emotional distress and psychological pain and suffering."

The suit accuses Custer of failing to properly monitor and investigate such incidents and to train officers how to respond to situations involving emotionally disturbed people.

According to a police report, the incident began when a woman called police at 5:41 p.m. to tell them her ex-boyfriend had said he was going to shoot himself. Eight officers responded to Greenwald's house on Farmstead Road, where they found him in his backyard holding a rifle, police said.

When officers tried to talk to him, "he pointed the rifle at Officers [Joseph] Phelps and [Jon] Lammers," a police report says. He then ran toward a wooded area that separates some backyards on Farmstead Road from an adjoining business, Double A Transportation.

Officers tried to convince Greenwald to drop the gun, but he refused, pointing it at Phelps and Lammers "several times," the report says. Greenwald ran into the wooded area and kept moving in and out of the tree line, police said. All the while, he pointed the rifle at Phelps and Lammers, police said.

Greenwald then approached Sgt. Leonard Kulas and Det. Andrew O'Brien, who were on the Double A Transportation property. He was holding the rifle straight out in front of him, the report says, and he began to raise the muzzle end of the gun. The officers aimed their handguns at him and yelled for him to put the rifle down, but he "continued to raise the muzzle of the rifle" toward the officers, the report says.

O'Brien fired his gun twice and Greenwald dropped to the ground, but he wasn't injured.

The lawsuit describes a different scenario.

It says officers "began charging" Greenwald, screaming "in an unintelligible, chaotic fashion." Greenwald was terrified, according to the lawsuit.

"Because of the darkness, and the blinding flashlight rays trained upon him, the plaintiff could not reasonably identify the men rushing at him as police officers," the suit says.

While running away, according to the lawsuit, he heard one of the men chasing him yell, "I've got a shot!" to which another responded, "Take it!"

Then, as he approached Kulas and O'Brien, the suit says, they "failed to adequately identify themselves as police officers."

NoHammer

imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
cato wrote:
I captured him sneaking back on line right now :p:DHey CaCop, have you checked out Calguns.net?

CaCop
Supporting Member

Oh Cato, you warm even the subcockles of my heart!
subcockles...lol. You're killing me.

NightOwl

imported post

Mr. Perulta, I don't see the relevence of that story with his "departure" from these forums. Interesting read as always, but...what am I missing? Are you indicating that he's one of those officers involved and thus tied up with legal proceedings? If not, I don't get it.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

dizarmyguy wrote:
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’Edmund Burke...........so true.......
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Edmund_Burke#Misattributed
Probable misattribution
  • All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    • This is probably the most quoted statement attributed to Burke, and an extraordinary number of variants of it exist, but all without any definite original source. These very extensively used "quotations" may be based on a paraphrase of some of Burke's ideas, but he is not known to have ever declared them in such a manner in any of his writings. It may have been adapted from these lines of Burke's in his Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents (1770): "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."
Burke's alleged quote bears a striking resemblance to the narrated theme of Sergei Bondarchuk's Soviet film adaptation of Leo Tolstoy's book "War and Peace", in which the narrator declares "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing", although since the original is in Russian various translations to English are possible.
See some of the admirable research done on this matter at these two links: Burkequote & Burkequote2 — as the research at these links points out, there are many variants of this statement, probably because there is no clearly definitive original by Burke, some of them being:

Edward Peruta

imported post

NightOwl wrote:
Mr. Perulta, I don't see the relevance of that story with his "departure" from these forums. Interesting read as always, but...what am I missing? Are you indicating that he's one of those officers involved and thus tied up with legal proceedings? If not, I don't get it.

NightOwl:

The relevance of any member of lawlaw enforcement (past or present)who walks away from thisforum is relevant.

California is a big state and the United States has many different stateswhere the topic of firearms and open carry is being discussed more openly than ever.

My reason for posting that news article is relevant to me, and possibly relevant to cacop if he reads it.

I also sent him a PM in hopes that he will realize that the issue is bigger than individual opinions or stories and return to this forum and participate with his opinions.

Everypublic forum hasindividuals who postwithout having to disclose who they are, and that's fine with me. But some take advantage of this feature and become far more bold than they are in the real world in real situations.

I wish that every member of law enforcement participated in this forumwhere they could see our frustration and passion for the rights we struggle to protect and exercise.

Consider the fact that I post under my real name and don't use a handle or screen name, and then consider that there are people posting on this forum that seem to lose sight of the fact that we should be trying to bring law enforcement over to our side without making them feel likewe are trying to set them up.

I was at one time,a very young member of law enforcement, and didn't make the grade by theirstandards back in the early 1970s.But many of the people who I worked besidewent on to become high ranking members ofvarious law enforcement agencies.

I openly admit that I have been arrested so many times that it takes additional sheetsof paper to submit applications forpermits to carry. In every case, it was about principle and to protect my rights.

But I have been issued permits andenjoy the support of many members of law enforcement when supplying their names as character references.

But I havealso read things on this forum that I find hard to understand or agree with, and I challenge any memberof this forum to demonstratemore passion for the issue on theright to bear arms.

In addition to participation in this area ofhttp://www.opencarry.com, I participate in the Connecticut area.

I have put my real name, thousands of hours, and tens of thousands of personal dollars into defending the 2nd amendment and the right to carry apistol or revolveropenly or concealed.

Today is April 2, 2009, and my recent activityin this issue isevident by checking this web link

http://www.ourrockyhill.com/Docs/Declaratory/peruta.Supplemental.Motion.pdf

I sometimes feel obligated to respond to every post or answer every question, but may also need to take a break and back away from post so much.

I never intended to get as involved as I currently am with this issue and topic here in California, I'm supposed to be retired and enjoying myself.

I just hope that cacop, whoever and whereever his is understands that I do understand why he did what he did.

To "CATCH HIM" visiting the board after leaving and throwing it in his face is WRONG!

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

poothrowingape wrote:
i know ive been guilty of bashing cops on these forums in the past. due to recent things in my life i would like to recant those statements and appologize. police arent our enemies; they are just doing their job.

honestly if any of us were LEO's and saw someone with a gun and didnt know aboutUOCwhat would we think and do? the exact same thing.

i work with the clovispolice alot with my current job. they are great people and only care about the well being of my city and are working with us to rid the mall i work forof its current problem with being over run with gang members.
Brought to you by the Clovis PD PR committee.

NightOwl

imported post

Edward Peruta wrote:
My reason for posting that news article is relevant to me, and possibly relevant to cacop if he reads it.
Well, I was hoping for some enlightenment as to exactly that, but not a big deal. While I agree with you about enlightening law enforcement in general, this particular individual...well, I've already said about as much as I care to say about him in another thread, and I don't really care to get into it further. Good luck with getting in contact with him.

poothrowingape

imported post

flintlock tom wrote:

[How many of those gang members are lawfully openly carrying a firearm? Or do they keep it stuffed down their baggy pants?]
thelast guy we had a problem withhad a meat cleaver in the waist band of his pants and was bragging to people about how he was going to murder someone who owed him $40. but what does that have to do with anything?

_Patriot

imported post

Hello to all. I am new to this site and originally got on here as I heard about this movement in my circle of friends. A little background, I was an explorer scout as a kid (an extention of boy scouts that trains and rides along with cops as a type of ROP program.) I went to school and while I was in school, I decided to get into the area of Law Enforcement. I took many classes and realized that I wanted to get into more of a legal area and started studying to become an attorney. I still had the desire to be a cop, just not full time though so I kept up with classes in Law Enforcement. I went on to criminal law and was a reserve officer as well for a large department in southern California. I am not going to get too specific but I worked in a really crummy area where most people would not dare drive through let alone live. I worked for a long time doing both but recently, I got into private practice outside of criminal law and I don't have time to do shifts any more.

All that said, I agree somewhat with what you folks are doing. I would like to see this once great country of ours return to the idea of We the People. I very much support a return to Constitutional way of life versus what we have now. I also agree that there are many police officers who over-step their bounds and are ignorant of much of the law. I will say this though, in a movement such as this, I agree with Edward that losing the support of Law Enforcement will be devastating for you folks. You need to ask yourselves this, "What is the point behind what we are doing?" I think the point is that you want to be able to be armed in order to protect you and your family. I whole heartedly agree with that point and would like to see every eligible citizens armed as a means of deterrent to evil men. I also think that you are trying to show people that guns are not "bad" in the hands of the right people. I also agree with this. The problem is that if you guys start upsetting Law Enforcement, as it looks like you have started to, you run the risk of furthering the agenda of the other side. Once Law Enforcememnt labels you as the evil men, they will do all they can to take away your rights. Look at the way the leaders of this country have taken everything else they deam evil. Sooner or later, someone from this movement will do something wrong and they will label you as terrorists. You guys really need to be as cooperative as you can before they pass a law against you. The better you look , the easier it will be.

I also think you guys need to be careful. I have heard that most of you don't carry ammo while you Open Carry. This may be ok in Orange County or other nice areas of town, but in the ghetto, you will be targeted. Look at how they target a 7-11 or car-jack an old pile of a car just for a few bucks. Your gun can get a hefty price tag in trade for drugs. If they know you have no ammo, it is just an invitation to take your gun with their fully loaded illegal gun. I am not saying don't further your ideas, just be very careful. That said, would it be such a bad idea if your are going to have some type of rally or event, to call the local cops and meet with them before hand to let them know as protection and as to not alarm them?

Edward Peruta

imported post

To Patriot

What everyone needs to remember is that every word on this forum is more than likely being monitored by law enforcement.

This site is already mentioned in various law enforcement intelligence and training bulletins that have been posted on this site.

It is very simple for anyone witha legal reason and the technical meansto track postings back to individual IP addresses or internet accounts.

I support law enforcement, and alsothe rights of individuals.

Enough said, I'm trying not to post as often so others can offer their opinions.

Ed Peruta

Decoligny

imported post

_Patriot wrote:
I also think you guys need to be careful. I have heard that most of you don't carry ammo while you Open Carry. This may be ok in Orange County or other nice areas of town, but in the ghetto, you will be targeted. Look at how they target a 7-11 or car-jack an old pile of a car just for a few bucks. Your gun can get a hefty price tag in trade for drugs. If they know you have no ammo, it is just an invitation to take your gun with their fully loaded illegal gun. I am not saying don't further your ideas, just be very careful. That said, would it be such a bad idea if your are going to have some type of rally or event, to call the local cops and meet with them before hand to let them know as protection and as to not alarm them?

I think you have misheard. Just because we carry "Unloaded" in no way indicates that we don't have ammuntion readily available.

Most of us who Unloaded Open Carry, have an unloaded firearm in a holster (strong side) and full magazines in mag holders (weak side). It takes a practiced Open Carrier about 1 - 2 seconds to go from unloaded, to having a firearm in full battery at the ready.

We also highly recommend that anyone who open carries also practice good situational awareness. Just knowing where the bad guys are will often negate their ability to do evil.

demnogis

imported post

Welcome _Patriot to OCDO.

It is good to have new members who are supportive and possibly intend to lawfully carry as well.

I agree that we (as citizens who carry) need to be on good standing with local law enforcement. Unfortunately, in some [metro] areas this effort has the exact success rate of pissing up a rope. Not only has the general populace here been ingrained into believing that firearms are evil and only the police should have them, but police are ingrained with this as well. I don't place all of the blame on the officers. It is mainly a product of being conditioned to not follow their oath to the constitutions of this land, but to follow policy in fear for losing their job. Through their profession and bureaucratic nature of politics they are also subjected to the "Us vs. Them" group-think. I will say that not all officers subscribe to this way of thinking; those that don't are hard to come by. Just go to the forums of Officer.com and look at the demeanor of law enforcement when it comes to respect for your rights. They are not the majority, however.

My experiences with Law Enforcement in Orange County have been 50/50 good and bad. Hopefully as we make law enforcement more aware that people are being informed of their rights, they will be less inclined to infringe upon them. Know your rights, know the limits at which Law Enforcement have in respect of them, and assert them. There is no reason to be afraid of the police. They should, however, be afraid of doing the wrong thing - and the consequences of. Too long have the people been sheepish.

In regards to not carrying ammo: I've never heard of that. I carry two loaded magazines on me while carrying. I can't understand the purpose of lawfully carrying a firearm if you don't have usable ammunition for it.

Again, welcome to OCDO! Please update your info to show what City/State or County/State you live in. Know your rights, read the law, and Carry On! :)

_Patriot

imported post

I agree with everything you said. I may have picked up on the not carrying ammo from another state's forum but I know I read it twice and really thought it was a bad idea. Who am I to say what someone can or can't do though, just want people to be careful.

On to the Us v. Them attitude of cops. Can we really blame them for some of it. I am not making excuses for it and do not agree with it but let's look at the facts. As I said, I was a reserve for a long time and you can imagine working in criminal law for as long as I did, I have many many friends who are cops. The fact is that they are people too. They make mistakes and should be allowed to make minor mistakes without public ridicule. Just look at some of the comments towards Ca Cop. The media blows so much of what they do out of proportion and has people persuaded to believe that half of them are crooked and corrupt. This is simply not true. Most cops are really goo hearted people who are trying to "protect and serve." Most of the newer cops get into this attitude and as time goes on they relax. Look at the Oakland incident with the 4 cops dead. They held a rally and marchin support of the bad guy calling him a hero. The bad guy is the bigger reason why we have to fight for our rights rather than the cops. Laws are enacted because of criminals commiting crimes. Many don't even know where the Loaded weapon law came from. It was from a Black Panther march in the 1967. Respect and courtesy is a two way street. Treat others as you would want to be treated. Just a thought

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

_Patriot wrote:
...Many don't even know where the Loaded weapon law came from. It was from a Black Panther march in the 1967. Respect and courtesy is a two way street. Treat others as you would want to be treated. Just a thought
It is my understanding that the Black Panthers were marching to protest the law after it was introduced. Certainly, their plan backfired and helped secure support for the law. Still, I can't fault the Black Panthers for what they did. The blame firmly rests on the politicians who fear armed constituents.

ETA: keep in mind that some states have it written in their constitution that the right to keep and bear arms extends to public meetings. So the idea of armed men in the state house is not foreign or frightening on its own merits - the fear of armed men in the state house is certainly cultural, and therefore could be reversed eventually.

Tippet

imported post

I wasn't cognizant of the cop-bashing around here until I saw CaCop's farewell post, frankly my reading here has been a little limited. Prior to this thread, the stuff I've read here gave me the impression that this place is populated by civi and LE alike, and that there is a core principal of involving police in a positive manner. You notify them of gatherings in an effort to foster better relations, avoid undue trouble. I had the perception that the general attitude was if not pro-le, at least not anti-le.

I'm a pro cop guy. I believe we'd be in a real mess without cops. I believe that most cops are good people and serious professionals who will do the right thing. There may be a few bad apples here and there, but I've never met any yet.

Now that I look around a little more, I do see a few people who don't seem to share my opinion of the police. Well, that disappoints me , but I'm not sure it would help matters any to up and walk away. If everyone who doesn't hate cops leaves, this movement will be populated only by cop-haters.

hey can anyone tell me why my cursor is invisible and is there a switch to turn it on?

_Patriot

imported post

I don't think that CaCop wanted you to feel sorry for him, I think he came here to help. Then when some of you called him names and blamed him for "bad apple" cops he left or said he was leaving. By people offending him or "bashing" cops, you have now returned the "Us v Them" attitude. The road goes both ways. Instead of calling people names, have an adult discussion.

As far as getting harrassed for open carrying, what would you have them do?

Picture this.

9-11 Operator:9-11 is this an emergency?

Citizen:Oh my god, there is a man with a gun at the local gas station.

9-11 Operator:What is the man doing?

Citizen:I don't know, guns scare me. Just send the cops to protect me.

9-11 Operator:Unit 1 man with a gun at Gas Station.

Officer: Am I responding to a robbery or what.(blood pressure goes up)

--Officer arrives--

Officer:why do you have a gun?

Open Carry:it's my right and I am not going to show you my ID. You cops are all corrupt.

Officer:I still don't know if this is a robbery or if it is just an ordinary good hearted hard working citizen. Can I just check you out to be sure the other ordinary good hearted hard working citizens are safe? (blood pressure still a little high)

Open Carry:Nope, you are going beyond the scope of your duties.

Officer:Well, I have some big books in my trunk. Let me look through them and see if I can figure out something you are doing wrong so I can be sure the other ordinary good hearted hard working citizens are safe.

------

Point #1-Someone calls 9-11, the cops have to respond. Can you imagine what would happen if we left the decision to respond in the hands of a short telephone call with a dispatcher who knows very very little about the law?

Point #2-The officer is just doing his job, trying to protect us. If he feels something is unsafe, he will do everything he can to make it safe, hence trying to take you to jail for a silly or no good reason.

Point#3-If the Open Carry looked at the big picture and presented his ID, explained things, had a nice conversation, the officer would be put at ease and all would be well.

Maybe it is a cry for help. Help in assisting them in insuring the safety of the people. Which is what I think is the point of this entire web-site.

fighting_for_freedom

imported post

Unfortunately, Mr. Patriot, the scenario you just presented, if the OCer abided by your point #3, is a little faulty. Here is why: we have had a good many OCers who were very polite with the cops, gave them their ID, and tried to explain things, all to no avail. They were harrassed, often cuffed, and generally treated like scum.

In the perfect world, all an OCer would have to do when questioned by a cop is be polite, show ID, and all would be well. Unfortunately, this is NOT a perfect world, and as such, we sometimes must take a firm (however disliked) stance for our rights. If we are to be held to the letter of the law, then so must everyone that makes and enforces it.