• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flashing a gun on the interstate

jools68

imported post

Yesterday on my way home from work I was travelling on I-35 southbound between Olathe and Gardner. Another motorist flashed a handgun at me, because I didn't let him cut me off. I proceeded to call the police and an officer was about 500 yards down the highway waiting for us. Officers found the gun, took statements from me, and the other driver was handcuffed and put into a police vehicle.

What could happen to the other driver, and his gun?

Note: I am not a gun owner, but I am 100% supportive of responsible gun ownership. Since the other driver was clearly not a responsible gun owner I felt I had to report the incident. Hopefully the other driver learns something from this and doesn't pull another gun out on any other drivers in the future.

old dog

imported post

Would it have been emasculating to back off and permit him to merge or change lanes? Drivers don't always think ahead as to position. Sometimes, partly because of people like you, I suspect, drivers find themselves trappped in the wrong lane. A bit of civility costs nothing and goes a long way.

Certainly, however, he was stupid and wrong to brandish a weapon and should have been nailed. We have too many problems already.

jools68

imported post

Well there were two lanes coming together into one. Usually when that occurs cars in the two lanes will alternate who gets to go next. I slowed to allow the person next to me ahead of me, and this jerk, who was behind the person I let in, swerved over into my lane nearly causing a wreck.

Seeing as how bad a rep gun ownership is getting these days I would think that as a gun advocate you would be irritated with the fool who brandished a firearm, not with the person on their way home from work driving like every other normal driver is.

If you'd like people who want more gun regulation to change their views, then maybe you shouldn't be so quick to defend someone that thought it was okay to brandish a firearm in a threatening manner.

Now I understand why some people are so gung-ho about Obama wanting more gun regulation. It's because of people like you who advocate threatening people with guns whenever you don't like the fact that they don't let you drive like you are more important than everybody else.

FreedomJoyAdventure

imported post

jools68 wrote:
Well there were two lanes coming together into one. Usually when that occurs cars in the two lanes will alternate who gets to go next. I slowed to allow the person next to me ahead of me, and this jerk, who was behind the person I let in, swerved over into my lane nearly causing a wreck.

Seeing as how bad a rep gun ownership is getting these days I would think that as a gun advocate you would be irritated with the fool who brandished a firearm, not with the person on their way home from work driving like every other normal driver is.

If you'd like people who want more gun regulation to change their views, then maybe you shouldn't be so quick to defend someone that thought it was okay to brandish a firearm in a threatening manner.

Now I understand why some people are so gung-ho about Obama wanting more gun regulation. It's because of people like you who advocate threatening people with guns whenever you don't like the fact that they don't let you drive like you are more important than everybody else.
This smells like troll.

old dog

imported post

***Certainly he was stupid and wrong to brandish a weapon and he should have been nailed.***

Perhaps my sentence was to subtle for you to grasp its meaning. As to the "troll", when there is nothing else there is always calumny.

FreedomJoyAdventure

imported post

old dog wrote:
***Certainly he was stupid and wrong to brandish a weapon and he should have been nailed.***

Perhaps my sentence was to subtle for you to grasp its meaning. As to the "troll", when there is nothing else there is always calumny.
Hi Old Dog,

Just to be clear, I assert that jools68 is a troll. He claims to be "100% supportive of responsible gun ownership".

You suggested that he might drive a little more courteously, and then he accuses you of "advocate threatening people with guns whenever you don't like the fact that they don't let you drive like you are more important than everybody else."

That's what I was referring to when I wrote "smells like troll". Check his other post as well.

old dog

imported post

What I wrote was unfair. I misconstrued your comment and I apologize.

FreedomJoyAdventure

imported post

Apology accepted, Old Dog. I realize "this smells like troll" was kinda cryptic.

After reading his other post I do not believe jools68 is really a 2d Amendment supporter.

Cheers,

FJA

jools68

imported post

I would just tell you if I was against gun ownership. What would be the point of trying to lie on here? I just think that in order for Americans to continue to have the right to bear arms it would be a good idea for people to act like we can handle having that right.

The man that I'm talking about in my post did not display any qualities of responsible gun ownership whatsoever.

As an advocate of responsible gun ownership I would think you would want to attract more people towards gun ownership, rather than spreading the believe that gun owners are irresponsible. Personally I believe that a large majority of gun owners are incredibly responsible people, but the few out there pulling guns on interstates don't give the rest of you a very good name. If I were in your position, then people like that would piss me off.

The only reason I came on this message board was to have a question answered. I ran across this message board one day and thought it sounded like there were some very intelligent gun owners that frequent this website, and I bookmarked it in case I ever wanted some questions about gun ownership answered. Unfortunately, this has not worked out well, and you guys seem to not be very accepting of "outsiders".

I won't bother you guys anymore, and I regret that this forum has left me with a more negative attitude towards gun ownership than I originally had.

old dog

imported post

Looking over the thread again I fail to find anyone supporting the vermin jools encountered as jools seems to infer. I for one simply suggested that a level of maturity is rarely misplaced.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

jools68 wrote:
Yesterday on my way home from work I was travelling on I-35 southbound between Olathe and Gardner. Another motorist flashed a handgun at me, because I didn't let him cut me off. I proceeded to call the police and an officer was about 500 yards down the highway waiting for us. Officers found the gun, took statements from me, and the other driver was handcuffed and put into a police vehicle.

Note: I am not a gun owner, but I am 100% supportive of responsible gun ownership. Since the other driver was clearly not a responsible gun owner I felt I had to report the incident. Hopefully the other driver learns something from this and doesn't pull another gun out on any other drivers in the future.

The man is probably facing a felony charge, if convicted he will lose his right to own firearms, he may go to prison for a few years, we will have a large legal bill, in short his life will be ruined.

Have you been contacted to press charges? The police did not see him do this so it's your word against his. That is if the man didn't confess.

jools68

imported post

Venator wrote:
jools68 wrote:

The man is probably facing a felony charge, if convicted he will lose his right to own firearms, he may go to prison for a few years, we will have a large legal bill, in short his life will be ruined.

Have you been contacted to press charges? The police did not see him do this so it's your word against his. That is if the man didn't confess.

Thank you Venator! You have provided a very helpful answer to my question. I certainly do not want the guy to go to prison for a few years since (hopefully) he has learned a lesson already by being arrested.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to stop them from pressing charges as the police already took a statement from me, and they know he must have done it because I described the gun accurately, and I wouldn't have had any way of knowing he had it if he had not flashed it.

Now that I have some kind of idea of what may happen to him I will do whatever I can to attempt to have the charges dropped.

Also, I certainly didn't mean to come on here and cause a disturbance. I just wanted to know what could happen to the guy so I know how I would like to handle the situation.

Thanks again Venator.

carracer

imported post

I think someone local to him should invitejools to a range or club to bust some clays or knock down some silhouettes and burgers! If you are ever in the Boise idaho area I'd like to show some hospitality!

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

jools68 wrote:
Venator wrote:
jools68 wrote:

Thank you Venator! You have provided a very helpful answer to my question. I certainly do not want the guy to go to prison for a few years since (hopefully) he has learned a lesson already by being arrested.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to stop them from pressing charges as the police already took a statement from me, and they know he must have done it because I described the gun accurately, and I wouldn't have had any way of knowing he had it if he had not flashed it.

Now that I have some kind of idea of what may happen to him I will do whatever I can to attempt to have the charges dropped.

Also, I certainly didn't mean to come on here and cause a disturbance. I just wanted to know what could happen to the guy so I know how I would like to handle the situation.

Thanks again Venator.

Well I hope you can do what you feel is right. The prosecutor will most likely want you as a witness and if you refuse to testify he may decide to drop the charge as his case becomes weaker.

If the guy is local you may want to find out who he is. He might turn out to be an okay guy that was having a bad day. Or maybe he is a jerk.

But in the end it's up to you. Does he deserve the possible ramifications for showing his gun, perhaps, but perhaps not. You guys could end up being friends and he can take you to the range andteach youmore about firearms.

captainamerica

imported post

Reporting it is the proper and prudent thing to do. However, in doing so you leave yourself open for retaliation if the suspect or someone else decides such. I honestly believe you should consider owning a firearm for at least around your residence and learn how to use it. I have very little trust in the way people like that choose to live and if ever in such a situation I want to option to defend myself at home as well as away. At least think about it.

KBCraig

imported post

jools68 wrote:
Also, I certainly didn't mean to come on here and cause a disturbance.
Trust me, you didn't. We have bigger disturbances amongst ourselves over whether or not to use the word "weapon" in describing our personal firearms. :D

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

jools68 wrote:
I would just tell you if I was against gun ownership. What would be the point of trying to lie on here? I just think that in order for Americans to continue to have the right to bear arms it would be a good idea for people to act like we can handle having that right.

The man that I'm talking about in my post did not display any qualities of responsible gun ownership whatsoever.

As an advocate of responsible gun ownership I would think you would want to attract more people towards gun ownership, rather than spreading the believe that gun owners are irresponsible. Personally I believe that a large majority of gun owners are incredibly responsible people, but the few out there pulling guns on interstates don't give the rest of you a very good name. If I were in your position, then people like that would piss me off.

The only reason I came on this message board was to have a question answered. I ran across this message board one day and thought it sounded like there were some very intelligent gun owners that frequent this website, and I bookmarked it in case I ever wanted some questions about gun ownership answered. Unfortunately, this has not worked out well, and you guys seem to not be very accepting of "outsiders".

I won't bother you guys anymore, and I regret that this forum has left me with a more negative attitude towards gun ownership than I originally had.
IF you are for real you need to understand a few basic tenets of internet forums:

1) A new user is generally received well, IF one takes the time to get a feel for the norms of the forum one is posting to - new users who don't are generally not highly regarded

2) No single individual speaks for all users of a forum

3) You need to have a thick skin, and understand that the nuances of "in-person" speech are hard to convey on an internet forum

4) "Newbies" to gun-related forums are regarded with suspicion when they use code-words such as "reasonable" or "responsible" with regards to gun ownership

5) As a "newbie", throwing around insults is off-putting, to say the least

In a few short posts (5) you have gone from asking a question, to insulting the members, to apologizing for creating a disturbance...:uhoh:

Stick around, read more, and ask away, but my suggestion is that you not jointhis or anyother forum and think that your presence ought to be treated with fanfare.

rscottie

imported post

I do not advocate brandishing a firearm by no means, but let me play devils advocate.

You stated that you slowed to allow the car in front of theguy that brandished a gunto merge as your understanding of traffic flow was that you should alternate as the lanes merge. You are correct andin a perfect world drivers should cooperate.

Now, perhaps the guy that was behind the one you slowed for thought that you were slowing for him. Imagine his surprise when yousped up to cut him off.

As perceptions belong to the beholder, he may have thought you were trying to wreck him to which he responded by showing you that he could fight back and you probably shouldn't cut him off.

You will need to examine YOUR actions closely to determine whether what you did helped fuel the fire. I mean, playing devil's advocate, you did state that youwere trying to only allow the one car in. He quite possibly perceived YOU as the threat with your car trying to wreck him.

It's possible, I don't know, I wasn't there.

Gunslinger

imported post

I'm all for responsible freedom of speech and religion, too. However, throwing the term around that is a mantra for el presidente obooba--when he's not bowing to the ragheads, and the other gun grabbers doesn't endear you to a forum that knows the word for the red herring it is in this context. While I think you did the proper thing, you could have stated you support the 2nd Amendment and met with a more receptive audience than using a catchword for our enemies. And make no mistake, they are enemies.