• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I may be on TV again

DEROS72

imported post

I am scheduled to speak at a town hall meeeting regarding some Veteran issues.I also found it is at the Shorline comunity center and THE MEDIA WILL BE THERE I'm hoping they will regonize me from staurday or I will remind them.I will be carrying.

just_a_car

imported post

Morris wrote:
If you are talking about the one in the city of Shoreline off of 185th & 1st, I'd recommend you check ahead. It's Shoreline School District property and still classified as a school.

Just an FYI.
I agree that it's still owned by Shoreline School District, but I wonder if it qualifies under RCW 9.41.280, since it is no long a primary or secondary school, nor school transportation, nor an area or facility being used exclusively by public or private schools.

As such, I would think the building and the premises would be beholden to normal carrying of firearms under RCW 9.41.270.

Also, if there are no "GUN FREE ZONE" signs present, you can assume it is not one, as state law requires all such zones to be posted with signs per RCW 9.41.280 (6).

Edit: I am not a lawyer.

NightOwl

imported post

Nope, you're just a car. ah ha? anybody? C'mon...it wasn't that bad...

Looking forward to hearing the outcome of that meeting, Deros.

DEROS72

imported post

It will be interesting .I hope they regognize me in that they will see that folks like us are helping out in many arenas.

DEROS72

imported post

I found out it's part of the scool district posted no firearms .So I will have an empty holster.

just_a_car

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
I found out it's part of the scool district posted no firearms .So I will have an empty holster.
Hrm, I know the field area behind it is posted no firearms (though not "GUN FREE ZONE" as required by law), but I don't recall seeing GFZ signs on the buildings. It's only about a 5-10 minute drive and on the way to a buddy's place so I'll stop by and scope out the exteriors for signage.

just_a_car

imported post

So, I did a little recon on the Shoreline Center on 185th. It apparently houses a lot of things like the Shoreline School District offices, multiple representatives' offices (such as Jay Inslee), and conference rooms.

That said, the center is made up of many, many buildings, some of which are connected to each other. I'm willing to bet your event is going to be in one of the conference rooms in Building B or in the auditorium in Building A on the North side of the center. The school district offices are located in Building D on the West side of the center.

As you can see from the below pictures, the North entrance to building C (which is connected to A and B) does not have any signage whatsoever indicating it as a Gun Free Zone, while the West entrance to Building D does have a small sign on the door indicating it as a Gun Free Zone:

The North Entrance to Building C:

The lack of GFZ signage at the North Entrance:

The West Entrance to Building D:

The Gun Free Zone sign at the West Entrance to Building D:

Map of the center with clear text of what each building contains:

Map of the center with clear indication of what each building is:

Now, if it were me, due to the fact that it's considered school property, yet not an "area" being used "exclusively" by the school, I would CC and continue on as normal, knowing I would be within the law if I was forced (God forbid) to unconceal and present deadly force.

The reason I say this is because all it takes is one person to say to an LEO that you've got a gun and unless they have read the law as carefully as you and I have, I would bet $20 you'd end up in handcuffs.

Plus someone might make the argument that because the buildings connect physically to each other that they are the same "area of facilit(y)", even though it obviously isn't and the map is very clear in dividing the facility into separate buildings.

I am not a lawyer. Carry at your own risk!

just_a_car

imported post

I just realized you might be meeting in the "Community Center" in Buildings E, F, or N and I didn't look at those entrances. When you arrive, check the entrance for GFZ signs and make your decision on how to carry on that.

Nitrox314

imported post

Also, If your going in with a holster, I would leave your gun locked up tight or leave at home. I may just be paranoid, but when I leave my gun in the car, the holster goes with it. I don't wan't people to think I have a gun in the car because it then can become a target (No facts or stats to back up). Just as a Intel Analyst I assume the worst case scenarios in life.

Edit: I say locked up tight, I mean like the guys who have small safes bolted into their trunks or cars. I would leave it at home, but its alwaysup to you.