• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NURSING HOME 8 DEAD POSTED NO GUNS

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I don't trust your sources. I heard it on the news, but I don't believe them, either. That place had a sticker on the front door that said "No Guns", so there's NO WAY anyone could have been shot!

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ray wrote:
Lawsuit time
So, I'm assuming what you mean to say is that you want establisheda legal precedentthat any business that posts no weapons signs is responsible for andthus liable for the security of anyone who is legally at this business?

buzzsaw

imported post

Can't say that I have ever thought of it in exactly those terms ComradeV but since you put it so well I would have to say that is a concept I could certainly get behind.

Curins

imported post

My mother works with gut that got shot first. It's sad, Micheal doesn't know when he's going to get his truck back because the police impounded it for evidence. He did so many interviews the next day, I still don't think the MSM has stopped calling him.

PT111

imported post

Reading through that article he makes quite a few assumptions that I think tend to stretch the limits of what he is trying to say.

First it is quite often repeated on here that BG's don't pay any attention to signs. I don't soubt that one bit but then he keeps trying to say that the reason that this facility was chosen as well as other mass murder sites was becasuse of the signs. Evidently if the author is correct then BG's do pay attention to signs.

When someone is planning to carry out a mass murder like this I really don't think that a sign declaring a place a GFZ has any impact on the choice of the site. It is still debatable why this facitilty was chosen but wheter or not his ex-wife working there was a factor is certainly more probable than the No guns allowed sign. Do we really think that a sign one way or the other would have made a difference in what location the Columbine or VT murders occured?

I am not saying at all that an armed individual would not have made a difference in the numbers of Columbine or VT killings but the author tries to indicate that places are chosen for mass murders because they are GFZ is stretching it too far in my opinion and tends to limit the credibility of any other points that he is trying to make. I really don't think that when a person is deciding to kill as many people as he can that he rides around until he finds a place with a No Weapons Allowed sign to do his killing.

BRobb19

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA
imported post

Well imagine that one establishment has a big sign posted at the front door that says "SOME OF THE LAW-ABIDING CITIZENS HERE ARE LAWFULLY ARMED".

And then down the road, the other establishment has a big sign posted on the front door that says "THERE ARE NO GUNS ALLOWED IN THIS BUILDING".

It's kind of a no brainer wondering which establishment the bad guy is going to feel safer and more at ease walking into and opening fire.

Vegassteve

imported post

BRobb19 wrote:
Well imagine that one establishment has a big sign posted at the front door that says "SOME OF THE LAW-ABIDING CITIZENS HERE ARE LAWFULLY ARMED".

And then down the road, the other establishment has a big sign posted on the front door that says "THERE ARE NO GUNS ALLOWED IN THIS BUILDING".

It's kind of a no brainer wondering which establishment the bad guy is going to feel safer and more at ease walking into and opening fire.

It does work just like that. here in Vegas a few years ago one of the pawn shop chains was getting robbed over and over. The staff did not carry. At the other chain of pawn stores in town the staff did carry. They were tried once by the robbers and they fled quickly.

So yes a armed place is something people think twice about hitting.

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Reminds me of the story about the guy who tried to rob a gun store. It had a cop car in front, one uniformed police officer inside and several armed patrons. Despite all this he clearly was a motivator and tried to demand compliance, which he was given something like 50 shots fired and 12 different types of rounds found in him.

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ComradeV wrote:
Reminds me of the story about the guy who tried to rob a gun store. It had a cop car in front, one uniformed police officer inside and several armed patrons. Despite all this he clearly was a motivator and tried to demand compliance, which he was given something like 50 shots fired and 12 different types of rounds found in him.

sorry my memory deceived me,

http://www.snopes.com/crime/dumdum/gunshop.asp

apparently the Darwin Award's account was slightly glamourised for heightened amusement.

PT111

imported post

BRobb19 wrote:

So all we have to do to make our schools, shopping mall etc. safe is put a big sign out front saying people in here are carrying guns. If we do that then there is no need for anyone to carry or even pass any gun laws. Gee what a simple solution to the crime rate and mass murders. If VT had just put those signs around campus Cho would havehad to go to GMU to do his killing assuming they didn't have the signs.

PT111

imported post

ComradeV wrote:
Even the true story shows how anyone that thinks criminals actually make logical decisions are overestimating their ability to reason.

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think the reasoning here is, that if you allow people to defend themselves, the proposition of an actively engaged and armed public will make the majority of criminals much more cautious in their violentbehaviors and allow for the obstinate ones to be dealt with accordingly.

The Signage example is I suppose just to give fair warning?

Tomahawk

imported post

One of the many ideas common in the RKABA movement is this idea that spree-shooters only go after places where guns are prohibited, because they are afraid to get shot.

I question this theory.

I haven't seen any evidence that this is true, and of course you can't ask the shooters because they almost always fail to live long enough to get questioned.

I put forth the theory that spree-shooters are merely looking for places with lots of targets, where they can go out in a blaze of glory and take as many victims with them as they can.

In many states, including pro-gun states, these places just happen to be the ones which prohibit guns. Schools, post offices, workplaces, even many shopping malls, usually prohibit guns. Even in places where they don't have a ban, most people aren't carrying anyway.

The kid who shot up a Fairfax County, VA, police station a few years back obviously wasn't deterred by the fact that his intended victims were all armed, including the ones he killed. This tells me that at least some of these shooters aren't scared of the idea that some people in the chosen crime scene may be armed. Some of them may even like the idea, who knows.

It's just a theory of mine, I have no proof of course, but it makes more sense to me.

This doesn't change my attitude, though. Even though lack of a gun prohibition may not deter a spree-shooter or some other criminal, it does allow people to protect themselves against these shooters, and that is the real heart of the matter: to not infringe on a person's right to decide how he wants to protect himself from violent crime.

PT111

imported post

ComradeV wrote:
I think the reasoning here is, that if you allow people to defend themselves, the proposition of an actively engaged and armed public will make the majority of criminals much more cautious in their violentbehaviors and allow for the obstinate ones to be dealt with accordingly.

The Signage example is I suppose just to give fair warning?

There are two lines of reasoning on this. In the county in GA where the sheriff declared that every home must have a gun the crime rate dropped to almost zero. This implied that having everyone armed cut crime to almost nothing. However several studies pointed out that crime was reduced but in that county the crime rate was low to begin with and did not have the normal crime areas such as public housing to start with and was almost 100% white to make a racial statement. This does skew the results of any study other than having an armed population does help.

The other type or reasoning is that in one study 87% of incarcerated criminals interviewed said that getting caught was the last thing on their mine. They all felt that they were too smart to get caught. The possibility of something going wrong and winding up in jail never entered their mind. I had lunch with a LEO the other day and he expressed the same sentiment that almost without fail when he catches a criminal they want to know what happened to allow them to be caught. If he talks with a potential criminal they always laugh at the ones that got caught and brag about they are too smart to ever be caught.

The summary is that never underestimate the intelligence of criminals. They do not think like honest people.

PT111

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
<snip>
I put forth the theory that spree-shooters are merely looking for places with lots of targets, where they can go out in a blaze of glory and take as many victims with them as they can.

In many states, including pro-gun states, these places just happen to be the ones which prohibit guns. Schools, post offices, workplaces, even many shopping malls, usually prohibit guns. Even in places where they don't have a ban, most people aren't carrying anyway.

The kid who shot up a Fairfax County, VA, police station a few years back obviously wasn't deterred by the fact that his intended victims were all armed, including the ones he killed. This tells me that at least some of these shooters aren't scared of the idea that some people in the chosen crime scene may be armed. Some of them may even like the idea, who knows.

It's just a theory of mine, I have no proof of course, but it makes more sense to me.

This doesn't change my attitude, though. Even though lack of a gun prohibition may not deter a spree-shooter or some other criminal, it does allow people to protect themselves against these shooters, and that is the real heart of the matter: to not infringe on a person's right to decide how he wants to protect himself from violent crime.
I totally agree with your points.

BRobb19

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA
imported post

PT111 wrote:
BRobb19 wrote:

So all we have to do to make our schools, shopping mall etc. safe is put a big sign out front saying people in here are carrying guns. If we do that then there is no need for anyone to carry or even pass any gun laws. Gee what a simple solution to the crime rate and mass murders. If VT had just put those signs around campus Cho would havehad to go to GMU to do his killing assuming they didn't have the signs.
What the hell are you talking about?

No one is advocating that anybody put up any signs.

Putting up a sign that says "SOME OF THE LAW-ABIDING CITIZENS HERE ARE LAWFULLY ARMED" doesn't change any law or policy. It is merely a reminder of what everyone should already know, which is the fact that law-abiding citizens may very well be armed in that establishment. This was used as a representative example of any place that does NOT post signs prohibiting carry. It doesnt matter whether that sign is posted or no sign is posted or a banana is posted, law-abiding citizens may still be armed in that establishment. Whether you remind people of this or not, it doesn't change any law.

However, a "THERE ARE NO GUNS ALLOWED IN THIS BUILDING" sign DOES change the policy, and it DOES change the law regarding legal carry into that establishment. A bad guy would understand that no law-abiding citizen would be armed.

And the point you tried to make about Virginia Tech is about as dumb as any point you've tried to make recently on any of the other threads. Virginia Tech does not allow law-abiding citizens to carry guns on campus. So whether Virginia Tech had put up signs that said "THERE ARE NO GUNS ALLOWED ON THIS CAMPUS", or not, the shooter still knew the policy was the same regardless.