Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First day OC :(

Post imported post

My brother convinsed me to OC today for the first time. We went to Dick's to pick up an item really quick in Dickson City, Pennsylvania. It didn't really go well. I'm shocked to see how many people react negatively at the mere sight of a firearm. We received several dirty looks, and when standing in line, people refused to stand near us. Even the cashier seemed tense and robotic. My brother said it was very unusual and told me not to get discouraged....but that was not what I was expecting.

Post imported post

Maybe you should try new attire?

Post imported post

They would most likely have acted the same way if you had a big patch of hair missing from the back of your head..LOL! A birthmark the size of a softball, two different types of shoes on, a pair of pants with one long leg, and on leg cut off, your shirt on backwards...etc.etc. We humans are very judgemental, especially on first impressions, and anything slightly out of the ordinary can a lot of times magnify our worst fears or suspicions.. I say to heck with em.. the sooner you get comfortable with an opencarry firearm on your person, the sooner you'll probably not notice the reactions of the weird /judgemental/paranoid humans in your daily travels.. just answer all inquiries, with a "I'm doing this for you" or "Trust me I have onlyyour best interest in mind"

Post imported post

Correct as it may be, it's quite arrogant to assert that you know what is in somebody's best interests better than they do. It's not going to help normalize OC.

I don't get many negative reactions. In fact, they're extremely rare.

If negative reactions were the norm (which they are not), people wouldn't view OC as good public relations.

Post imported post

marshaul wrote:
    Maybe you should try new attire?
    I was in my Academy class A uniform.A white button down shirt, black tie, black dress pants, sock, and dress shoes. I look like a johavah's witness...

Post imported post

I was in my Academy class A uniform.A white button down shirt, black tie, black dress pants, sock, and dress shoes. I look like a johavah's witness...

That was the problem, they thought you were going to shove religion down their throats at gun point.
    Perhaps if you would use a real computer you wouldn't have to apologize for not being able to do so many things on the internet!

Post imported post

BUY THE FREAKIN BIBLE, NOW!!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Are you looking for approval or expressing your rights in a positive fashion? The more you OC the more confident of doing such you will become - that confidence will be reflected in your demeanor and say something to those around you.

When people look at me with less than total acceptance, I nod and smile at them. Those small gestures frequently relax them and sometimes leads to very good discourse.

Good luck and carry on.

Yata hey

Edited for typo
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    When people look at me with less than total acceptance, I nod and smile at them. Those small gestures frequently relaxes them and sometimes leads to very good discourse.

This makes sense to me, as it should to you as well, cadet. Think back to your classes on reading body language. You're not used to OC, and it translates into your body language. Other people around you can sense your discomfort and it makes them uncomfortable as well. I'm sure your experiences will improve as your comfort level does. Don't give up.

Post imported post

I don't generally discourage anyone from OCing, but if you're in a law enforcement academy, you should be aware that anything you do that is out of the "norm" can be looked at harshly. All sorts of perfectly legal behavior has gotten people kicked out of academy before.

Post imported post

Thank you, I hope you are right. I tried to just stay relaxed but hopefully it will just come a little more naturally with practice.

"the law, without enforcement, is merely advice"

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    Are you looking for approval or expressing your rights in a positive fashion?...
    I certainly don't need approval, but it still sucks to be treated by a frickin' leper. I'm the kind of guy who cares very little about the opinions of strangers and the disapproval get's to even me just a little bit.

Post imported post

All I can say is that if I was looking for approval, I certainly wouldn't be open carrying.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

LEO Cadet 09 wrote:
    All I can say is that if I was looking for approval, I certainly wouldn't be open carrying.
    My question was intended to be rhetorical in nature not challange to your intents.

Actually, I do OC in part to gain approval or at least acceptance of as many people as possible everywhere I travel and I OC with very few exceptions 24/7.

You have taken the first step. Hope you take many more.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Banned

Post imported post

How do you know they were staring ? Were you staring at them first ?

It is funny how you can tell if someone is staring .

Banned

Post imported post

R a Z o R wrote:
    How do you know they were staring ? Were you staring at them first ?

It is funny how you can tell if someone is staring .

You can't sense a stare?

Post imported post

You want to graduate and we want you to graduate and pass your probationary period (if any) and be a friend to self defense rights while on the job.

So...I would suggest not doing anything that your fellow recruits aren't doing. And why were you in public and not at home studying? Why are you on line and not studying? Get to it maggot!

Post imported post

I carried almost all day today for the first time. I work a LOT so I have not been able to get out much. Went into 8 stores today looking for the radio my wife said she wanted. Only had 1 person say something and maybe, being optomistic here, 12 people even notice. The guy at the auto parts store gave me the "Are you local LEO?" Told him no but NC is an open carry state. He says, "Well kinda." I told him that was like being kinda pregnant it is or it isn't and if noone does it then it goes away. Turned to leave and the guy behind me had a big grin. At Target I had someone behind me switch lanes to the one with the longer line. Guess 5 ft was enough protection from the scarry gun mojo.

I also try to make eye contact and smile or speak to the employees. I usually hold doors open, carrying or not. Smiling, friendly, courteous people don't make good bad guys. Getting more comfortable will help too. Today was a good day! Good luck with it.

Post imported post

They're just not used to it.

Once it becomes commonplace again, you'll get nary a glance.

Thanks for bearing the ice-breaking discomfort.

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    Are you looking for approval or expressing your rights in a positive fashion?* The more you OC the more confident of doing such you will become - that confidence will be reflected in your demeanor and say something to those around you.

When people look at me with less than total acceptance, I nod and smile at them.* Those small gestures frequently relax them and sometimes leads to very good discourse.

Good luck and carry on.

******* Yata hey

Edited for typo
    This.

Post imported post

if you want to feel comfortable when OC come to where i live and go into the true value. it seems like the i hate my life and dont care about anything club works there. its weird the vibe you get in there. there were some uncomfortable customers last time i OC'd there, but then again it seems like every customer is uncomfortable when they go into that store.....:?

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

You know it's both funny and a little bit weird to me when I read about people on this site gettin negative reactions, stares, and outright verbal slams when they are OC'ing. Perhaps it's because I have yet to run into anything like this while OC'ing. Yes, I notice people taking notice of my "little friend". But nothing like some of the things I have read on these various forums and threads which makes me wonder that maybe my time will come and it's only a matter of time before it does. Maybe my disasterous encounter is just waiting to happen.

But I have to tell you, OC'ing in my neck of the woods, and its surrounds, is a no brainer. Maybe it's because I appear to be an off duty LEO or agent of some kind. Or maybe it's because the rig I carry resembles an LEO-type rig (Glock 23 in a DeSantis Mini Slide belt holster - all black). Or maybe it's my general demeanor - I'm an outgoing friendly type and not "scary" looking, who makes eye contact and smiles and jokes frequently. But this part of Virginia, even with all of the influx of people from other parts of the country and the world, just does not seem to be a problem. Crazy but true.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

LEO Cadet 09 wrote:
    the law, without enforcement, is merely advice
    Not a good premise while interacting with equals and, arguably, your (pay)masters.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth.

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    Are you looking for approval or expressing your rights in a positive fashion? The more you OC the more confident of doing such you will become - that confidence will be reflected in your demeanor and say something to those around you.

When people look at me with less than total acceptance, I nod and smile at them. Those small gestures frequently relax them and sometimes leads to very good discourse.

Good luck and carry on.

Yata hey

Edited for typo
    Exactamundo! It's all in your confidence level.

I can't always understand what you say Grape, buy you always write good and make the point.

Yata Hey!
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

Post imported post

T Dubya wrote:
    Exactamundo! It's all in your confidence level.

I can't always understand what you say Grape, buy you always write good and make the point.

Yata Hey!
    ...write well... (ducks behind desk as class throws books and erasers at me)
    Remember Peter Nap and Skidmark. Do them proud. Be active. Be well informed. ALL rights matter.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when you may have to back up your acts with your life."

--Robert A. Heinlein

Hey NSA! *&$# you. Record this--- MOLON LABE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast