• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My First day OC :(

LEO Cadet 09

imported post

My brother convinsed me to OC today for the first time. We went to Dick's to pick up an item really quick in Dickson City, Pennsylvania. It didn't really go well. I'm shocked to see how many people react negatively at the mere sight of a firearm. We received several dirty looks, and when standing in line, people refused to stand near us. Even the cashier seemed tense and robotic. My brother said it was very unusual and told me not to get discouraged....but that was not what I was expecting.

Carnivore

imported post

They would most likely have acted the same way if you had a big patch of hair missing from the back of your head..LOL! A birthmark the size of a softball, two different types of shoes on, a pair of pants with one long leg, and on leg cut off, your shirt on backwards...etc.etc. We humans are very judgemental, especially on first impressions, and anything slightly out of the ordinary can a lot of times magnify our worst fears or suspicions.. I say to heck with em.. the sooner you get comfortable with an opencarry firearm on your person, the sooner you'll probably not notice the reactions of the weird /judgemental/paranoid humans in your daily travels.. just answer all inquiries, with a "I'm doing this for you" or "Trust me I have onlyyour best interest in mind"

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Correct as it may be, it's quite arrogant to assert that you know what is in somebody's best interests better than they do. It's not going to help normalize OC.

I don't get many negative reactions. In fact, they're extremely rare.

If negative reactions were the norm (which they are not), people wouldn't view OC as good public relations.

jeeper1

imported post

I was in my Academy class A uniform.A white button down shirt, black tie, black dress pants, sock, and dress shoes. I look like a johavah's witness...

That was the problem, they thought you were going to shove religion down their throats at gun point. :lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Are you looking for approval or expressing your rights in a positive fashion? The more you OC the more confident of doing such you will become - that confidence will be reflected in your demeanor and say something to those around you.

When people look at me with less than total acceptance, I nod and smile at them. Those small gestures frequently relax them and sometimes leads to very good discourse.

Good luck and carry on.

Yata hey

Edited for typo

canadian

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
When people look at me with less than total acceptance, I nod and smile at them. Those small gestures frequently relaxes them and sometimes leads to very good discourse.

This makes sense to me, as it should to you as well, cadet. Think back to your classes on reading body language. You're not used to OC, and it translates into your body language. Other people around you can sense your discomfort and it makes them uncomfortable as well. I'm sure your experiences will improve as your comfort level does. Don't give up. :)

KBCraig

imported post

I don't generally discourage anyone from OCing, but if you're in a law enforcement academy, you should be aware that anything you do that is out of the "norm" can be looked at harshly. All sorts of perfectly legal behavior has gotten people kicked out of academy before.

LEO Cadet 09

imported post

Thank you, I hope you are right. I tried to just stay relaxed but hopefully it will just come a little more naturally with practice.

"the law, without enforcement, is merely advice"

FogRider

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Are you looking for approval or expressing your rights in a positive fashion?...
I certainly don't need approval, but it still sucks to be treated by a frickin' leper. I'm the kind of guy who cares very little about the opinions of strangers and the disapproval get's to even me just a little bit.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

LEO Cadet 09 wrote:
All I can say is that if I was looking for approval, I certainly wouldn't be open carrying.
My question was intended to be rhetorical in nature not challange to your intents. :)

Actually, I do OC in part to gain approval or at least acceptance of as many people as possible everywhere I travel and I OC with very few exceptions 24/7.

You have taken the first step. Hope you take many more.

Yata hey

cato

imported post

You want to graduate and we want you to graduate and pass your probationary period (if any) and be a friend to self defense rights while on the job.

So...I would suggest not doing anything that your fellow recruits aren't doing. And why were you in public and not at home studying? Why are you on line and not studying? Get to it maggot! :D

chiefjason

imported post

I carried almost all day today for the first time. I work a LOT so I have not been able to get out much. Went into 8 stores today looking for the radio my wife said she wanted. Only had 1 person say something and maybe, being optomistic here, 12 people even notice. The guy at the auto parts store gave me the "Are you local LEO?" Told him no but NC is an open carry state. He says, "Well kinda." I told him that was like being kinda pregnant it is or it isn't and if noone does it then it goes away. Turned to leave and the guy behind me had a big grin. At Target I had someone behind me switch lanes to the one with the longer line. Guess 5 ft was enough protection from the scarry gun mojo.

I also try to make eye contact and smile or speak to the employees. I usually hold doors open, carrying or not. Smiling, friendly, courteous people don't make good bad guys. Getting more comfortable will help too. Today was a good day! :D Good luck with it.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Are you looking for approval or expressing your rights in a positive fashion?  The more you OC the more confident of doing such you will become - that confidence will be reflected in your demeanor and say something to those around you.

When people look at me with less than total acceptance, I nod and smile at them.  Those small gestures frequently relax them and sometimes leads to very good discourse.

Good luck and carry on.

Yata hey

Edited for typo
This.