• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New guy, in Winston Salem.

wyker

imported post

I was recommended this site by a friend and it seems to be very beneficial.

I've lurked enough and figured I'd say hello and join in on some discussions. I am located in Winston Salem.

I am starting from scratch and looking to make my first handgun purchase sometime soon. I've really just been reading up on all the laws, procedures, etc.

I believe I am interested in a .40 or .45 mostly for home protection put obviously for possible OC as well. I started this process two years ago and just now am motivated to become educated and armed. Can anyone around offer advice on a recommended LGS?

I look forward to spending more time here.

-Ryan

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If you have the time, you should try out all the popular calibres(9mm, .40, .45) and maybe even the less popular ones( .357Sig, 10mm, 9mm Makarov) if you can and figure out which calibre and particular pistol suits your balance of firepower, magazine capacity, weight, recoil, etc.

and the end of the day, a "weaker" weapon in your hands that you know and trust and can use reliably is a much better alternative to a supposedly "superior" firearm that you are not comfortable or familiar with using.

Also, it is generally accepted that no one likes to get shot by any size bullet and usuallybeing disarmedis an inferior choice to being armed when you need to defend yourself.

wyker

imported post

All very valid points.

I'm a big guy and really enjoyed the fit that Springfield had in their .45 I would assume its similar in their other models. I am eager to visit a LGS and get a better FEEL for what I've been looking at online.

I am open to many recommendations.
I have decent size hands, so a smaller grip isn't as stable in my hand.

BRobb19

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA
imported post

Ryan, welcome to the forum.

Is it the Springfield XD you are referring to? If so, they make it in .45, .40, 9mm, and .357SIG. All of these will have the same feel in your hand, but they will each shoot a bit different because of the different caliber. These are great guns and although I do not NEED one of these, I still consider buying one now and again.

My first handgun purchase was a Taurus Millenium Pro PT111 9mm compact with a stainless steel slide. I absolutely love this gun, and I usually carry it on me most everywhere that I go. Since you might not prefer its compact size, Taurus does make a "24/7" line of pistols that are basically the full-size/tactical version of what I have. These can all be bought in 9mm, .40, and .45. Taurus is an excellent brand and they price their handguns very competitively when compared to other leading manufacturers of similar guns. I have never once had a single problem or misfire with my Taurus. They also back all of their new guns with a LIFETIME warranty to the original owner, no questions asked.

I highly recommend that you at least check out their website,
http://www.taurususa.com

Once again, welcome to the Forum.
-Brandon

SPRINGFIELD_45_ACP

imported post

Hello & welcome to the forum & good luck on your first purchase...Personally i like the Taurus 24/7 40 caliber the price was right & it feels great in my medium sized hands..I don't leave home without my friend & his 15 little buddies.....:celebrate

wyker

imported post

Thanks for the advice. I will be looking in town soon.

Anyone around Winston Salem with some advice on a LGS?

RayBurton72

imported post

Definately check out the Gun rack in Kernersville. I have bought both of my Kimbers there as they have very good prices for a storefront shop. I got better deals on my Kimbers than I coul;d at the gun shows (last year before all the craziness) and they have a pretty good selection ...

Ratt402

imported post

Welcome wyker! I too have just started coming to this website and have enjoyed it a great deal! Everyone here has been great with responses, so it has been an enjoyable experience for me, I hope the same goes for you as well.

I went to The Gun Rack in Kville and bought a Glock 23C. I like a Glock (and this is just a personnel preference) because it has a dependable history and for me, I feel very comfortable carrying with one chambered with the safeties of the Glock. All 3 are in the trigger and the biggest one being between my ears (even though my wife may say different on the area between my ears! haha) There are many handguns out there as good, like I said, this is just my favorite.

Good luck to you and once again, welcome!

Semper Fi !