• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Purdy Liquor Store

kenshin

imported post

I've noticed for sometime that the Purdy liquor store has a sign prominently posted on the front door. "Must be 21 years of age ... to enter this store" I've informed them previously that you must be 21 only to purchase and have pointed them to conversations I've had with the Liqour Control Board. Yet, they still refuse to take the sign down.
033109025.jpg

Anybody know an email for someone higher up at theLiqour Control Board than just the basic contact email? wslcb@liq.wa.gov

On a side note, there's also a sign posted saying they "Reserve the right to refuse service to anyone". I'm not sure about this, but since they're state funded, wouldn't they have to provide service to everyone?

David.Car

imported post

I would give a call to the Liquor Laws and Rules line and inform them they have a branch that is disregarding the correct postage and following of WA state law. They should get on that pretty quick.

adamsesq

imported post

I'd do as I do with other signs that are contrary to law, ignore it and do what you want anyway. I'd feel free to carry there and bring my children in spite of the sign.

If the sign helps them keep out unattended minors who shouldn't be there I guess I don't have a problem with it.

-adamsesq

kenshin

imported post

adamsesq wrote:
I'd do as I do with other signs that are contrary to law, ignore it and do what you want anyway. I'd feel free to carry there and bring my children in spite of the sign.

If the sign helps them keep out unattended minors who shouldn't be there I guess I don't have a problem with it.

-adamsesq
I understand the sentiment, I don't want minors to be able to illegally purchase liquor there, however, if an ill-informed person were to see that sign they would think that they were not allowed to carry in the liquor store.

I know that I was that way when I first started carrying. I had thought the Liquor stores were off limits to minors and therefore a person would not legally be able to carry there. It wasn't until someone from OCDO set me straight that I found out the facts.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

GIG HARBOR

Contract Liquor Store: 646GIG HARBOR PURDY
6705 TYEE DR
GIG HARBOR WA 98332-8631Mon-Thu 11:00-7:00
Fri-Sat 11:00-8:00
Store Manager:
SUSAN (253-857-5966)
District Manager:
EARL HILL (253-471-5338)

Earl Hill
District Manager
Office: 253/471-5338
Cell: 253/370-2250
Roberson Bldg Ste 208
Fax: 360/704-5021
EH@LIQ.WA.GOV]
6240 Tacoma Mall Blvd
Tacoma WA 98409-6819

aktion

imported post

Ah, too bad they're not open on Sundays. I'll be in the neighorhood this weekend; thought maybe I'd stop in and pick up some of Grandpas Cough Syrup. And point out the error in signage.

kenshin

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:

GIG HARBOR

Contract Liquor Store: 646GIG HARBOR PURDY
6705 TYEE DR
GIG HARBOR WA 98332-8631Mon-Thu 11:00-7:00
Fri-Sat 11:00-8:00
Store Manager:
SUSAN (253-857-5966)
District Manager:
EARL HILL (253-471-5338)

Earl Hill
District Manager
Office: 253/471-5338
Cell: 253/370-2250
Roberson Bldg Ste 208
Fax: 360/704-5021
EH@LIQ.WA.GOV]
6240 Tacoma Mall Blvd
Tacoma WA 98409-6819
Thanks for the numbers M1, I called and spoke with a Mindy there (she answered Susan's #), and explained my position. The conversation was positive, she agreed to talk with Susan about it when she returned as well as to call the District Manager.

I told her that I'd save her the hassle as I was about to call him as well. Which I did a few minutes later. Got no response but did leave him a voice mail with my concerns about the sign and my number to contact me back at.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Most welcome...

Earl was quick to get back with me. If you send him an email you will have a transaction record that can be printed and used at a later date if needed.

Ajetpilot

imported post

Any update on this? I see that the signs are still on the front of the store, so nothing has changed.Does the Liquor Control Board have any control over this store? Is this store owned by the state, or is it a privately leased store that has a state franchise to sell liquor?

I just answered my own question. I see that it is listed as a "contract store."Maybe contract stores can make their own rules because it is not owned by the state.

If anyone has any information on this, please let us know.

cdjspider

imported post

kenshin wrote:
I know that I was that way when I first started carrying. I had thought the Liquor stores were off limits to minors and therefore a person would not legally be able to carry there. It wasn't until someone from OCDO set me straight that I found out the facts.
Really? I always thought you had to be 21 to enter a liquor store. Well at least I feel better im not the only one who has been disarming for no reason :banghead:. Time to start carrying in liquor stores yay! :celebrate

SANDRAT

imported post

Hey people!Of course you can carry in a State Liquor store,the liquor store in Wilbur,WA is also the local gun store,the owner is a great guy and got his FFL to help out the local guys as no one had one locally.

kenshin

imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
Any update on this? I see that the signs are still on the front of the store, so nothing has changed.Does the Liquor Control Board have any control over this store? Is this store owned by the state, or is it a privately leased store that has a state franchise to sell liquor?

I just answered my own question. I see that it is listed as a "contract store."Maybe contract stores can make their own rules because it is not owned by the state.

If anyone has any information on this, please let us know.
Sorry, I haven't followed through on this yet. Been incredibly swamped at work. I've called the store manager and left a message and then the district manager and left two messages but haven't gotten replies from either of them. I'll try another call to them today.

kenshin

imported post

Just got off the phone with Earl Hill, the district manager. He said that he was heading over to the Purdy store and would have a discussion with the store manager there. I'll swing by on my way home and take a look since it's right on the way.