Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The 60 minutes gun show report aired 4-12-09

Post imported post

I haven't heard anything else on it. Anyone have a link or an embedded youtube video?
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

Post imported post

I would also be interested in seeing this or hearing about it's progress.

Post imported post

Well, first CBS has to compile some footage and tearful victim interviews from the latest mass shootings in no-gun zones, along with some Brady nonsense, and package it all together to complete their slam piece on us.

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    Well, first CBS has to compile some footage and tearful victim interviews from the latest mass shootings in no-gun zones, along with some Brady nonsense, and package it all together to complete their slam piece on us.
    :? like how natgeo shows 'reenactments' of a thug in a driveby using an AK...

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Don't expect a pro-gun presentation or even a fair, unbiased piece. Talked to several vendors at that show and because of previous experiences, they declined strongly to be interviewed again.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    Don't expect a pro-gun presentation or even a fair, unbiased piece. Talked to several vendors at that show and because of previous experiences, they declined strongly to be interviewed again.

Yata hey
    That was smart of them.

I'm sure PVC did just fine as always.

Put as a professional filmmaker/editor, I can tell you for a fact I can, through the magic of editing, make whatever you say sound different than what you MEANT.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

What I don't understand and may ask the promoter, is why they were given permission to film in the first place.

I do take pictures at some of the shows. I started doing it when I ran American Long Rifles and still take them from time to time....BUT ALWAYS WITH THE PERMISSION OF THE PROMOTER and with the assurance that it is for PRO GUN purposes.

Letting 60 Minutes in is like allowing the KKK to film at a Martin Luther King memorial.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

"Watch a special edition of "20/20" on guns in America anchored by Diane Sawyer Friday, April 10, at 10 p.m. ET "

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Econo...621&page=1

Post imported post

N8 wrote:
    "Watch a special edition of "20/20" on guns in America anchored by Diane Sawyer Friday, April 10, at 10 p.m. ET "

I suspect this will have quite a different flavor than a "20/20" hosted by John Stossel.

Post imported post

KBCraig wrote:
    N8 wrote:

I suspect this will have quite a different flavor than a "20/20" hosted by John Stossel.
    I was just going to say, we're off to a bad start already...

TFred

Post imported post

TFred wrote:

TFred
    Are you surprised? Is it a shock to anyone that shootings are on the rise? The world is in turmoil. Out of all those people stocking up on guns and ammo; are any of us surprised that there is a lunatic fringe out there stocking up to use them?

Don't flame me, but we have only heard one side of the story. Anytime a gun is involved the parties involved are tried and convicted in the media within 24 hours and within that same 24 hours there are calls to take away our guns.
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."

Post imported post

T Dubya wrote:
    TFred wrote:

TFred
    Are you surprised? Is it a shock to anyone that shootings are on the rise? The world is in turmoil. Out of all those people stocking up on guns and ammo; are any of us surprised that there is a lunatic fringe out there stocking up to use them?

Don't flame me, but we have only heard one side of the story. Anytime a gun is involved the parties involved are tried and convicted in the media within 24 hours and within that same 24 hours there are calls to take away our guns.
    I was talking about Diane Sawyer being the host of this show. I'm not sure what you're talking about... :?

TFred

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    I was talking about Diane Sawyer being the host of this show. I'm not sure what you're talking about... :?

TFred
    I thought you were referring to the rampages.

Post imported post

T Dubya wrote:
    TFred wrote:

TFred
    One could argue than Diane Sawyer is more dangerous than most rampages.

Post imported post

60 Minutes/VCDL segment to air on Sunday @ 7 PM

Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Bulldog1967 wrote:
    T Dubya wrote:
    TFred wrote:

TFred
    One could argue than Diane Sawyer is more dangerous than most rampages.
    Penetrating observation!
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

20/20 - ABC - is dedicating their show to...

"If I Only Had a Gun" Gun violence in the United States; whether gun owners can actually get to a gun in a crisis situation; the ease with which a gun can be purchased; gun violence as seen through the eyes of a child; the attraction of young people to guns.

Friday, 4/10 at10PM EDT

Here it comes, folks.

Post imported post

This post has gotten off track. OP asked about 60 Minutes program which airs Sunday @ 1900. In stead of hijacking a thread please start a new one for different things.Discussion of 20/20 program should have been a different thread IMHO.

Sorry for the rant.
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Yeah, point taken Wolf. Maybe to be moved to the "News & Political Alerts" section. Seems like it's the hot media topic, though.

Post imported post

Here's a prequel article on ABC.com:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story...745&page=1

and for entertainment purposes only, here's the Fark.com thread discussing it:

http://www.fark.com/cgi/comments.pl?IDLink=4319737

Post imported post

RedKnightt wrote:
    Here's a prequel article on ABC.com:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story...745&page=1

and for entertainment purposes only, here's the Fark.com thread discussing it:

http://www.fark.com/cgi/comments.pl?IDLink=4319737
    Whoa! You forgot the mandatory "duct tape your head" warning! Having read that I now have to clean my brain fragments off the computer screen.

Post imported post

I just watched the 60 minutes report on guns. Omar Samaha said when he refused to show i.d. to a seller at a gun show all he had to do was pay "50" extra bucks.

If you watched the 20/20 piece he said "100" extra dollars.

He contradicted himself. Which makes me wonder "Would a gun-grabber make up something or flat out lie to promote their agenda?".

Of course he won't ever be challenged on that because he has the moral high ground because he lost his sister to gun violence.

To me that doesn't matter at all because when you start trying to erode our civil rights you don't get the moral high ground.

Post imported post

T Dubya wrote:
    I just watched the 60 minutes report on guns.* Omar Samaha said when he refused to show i.d. to a seller at a gun show all he had to do was pay "50" extra bucks.

He contradicted himself.* Which makes me wonder "Would a gun-grabber make up something or flat out lie to promote their agenda?".

Of course he won't ever be challenged on that because he has the moral high ground because he lost his sister to gun violence.

To me that doesn't matter at all because when you start trying to erode our civil rights you don't get the moral high ground.
    Hmm. Very good observation.

Post imported post

T Dubya wrote:
    I just watched the 60 minutes report on guns. Omar Samaha said when he refused to show i.d. to a seller at a gun show all he had to do was pay "50" extra bucks.

He contradicted himself. Which makes me wonder "Would a gun-grabber make up something or flat out lie to promote their agenda?".

Maybe I heard him wrong, probably did, but I thought he said $15 extra dollars on the 60 Minutes episode. I wish he would have hidden a camera on him when he supposedly bought all of these guns. I'd love to see what REALLY happened....just in gereral...not so much in regards to the $50.

Post imported post

Omar Samaha:

"He's like, 'Give me $100 more and I'll let you go and take the risk.' I got two guns for $600 without any identification check," Samaha said.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Story...745&page=1

Omar Samaha:

"They either sold me the gun still or they said, 'Pay me 15 more dollars and I'll go without looking at your ID," he replied.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...69_page2.shtml

Another thing I noticed. Phillip Van Cleave is an okayshot. I think his target was at 10 yards.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast