• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The 60 minutes gun show report aired 4-12-09

Tomahawk

imported post

RedKnightt wrote:
Here's a prequel article on ABC.com:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=7297745&page=1

and for entertainment purposes only, here's the Fark.com thread discussing it:
icon_smile_big.gif

http://www.fark.com/cgi/comments.pl?IDLink=4319737
Whoa! You forgot the mandatory "duct tape your head" warning! Having read that I now have to clean my brain fragments off the computer screen.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I just watched the 60 minutes report on guns. Omar Samaha said when he refused to show i.d. to a seller at a gun show all he had to do was pay "50" extra bucks.

If you watched the 20/20 piece he said "100" extra dollars.

He contradicted himself. Which makes me wonder "Would a gun-grabber make up something or flat out lie to promote their agenda?".

Of course he won't ever be challenged on that because he has the moral high ground because he lost his sister to gun violence.

To me that doesn't matter at all because when you start trying to erode our civil rights you don't get the moral high ground.

hunter45

imported post

T Dubya wrote:
I just watched the 60 minutes report on guns.  Omar Samaha said when he refused to show i.d. to a seller at a gun show all he had to do was pay "50" extra bucks.

He contradicted himself.  Which makes me wonder "Would a gun-grabber make up something or flat out lie to promote their agenda?".

Of course he won't ever be challenged on that because he has the moral high ground because he lost his sister to gun violence.

To me that doesn't matter at all because when you start trying to erode our civil rights you don't get the moral high ground.

Hmm. Very good observation.

richarcm

imported post

T Dubya wrote:
I just watched the 60 minutes report on guns. Omar Samaha said when he refused to show i.d. to a seller at a gun show all he had to do was pay "50" extra bucks.

He contradicted himself. Which makes me wonder "Would a gun-grabber make up something or flat out lie to promote their agenda?".

Maybe I heard him wrong, probably did, but I thought he said $15 extra dollars on the 60 Minutes episode. I wish he would have hidden a camera on him when he supposedly bought all of these guns. I'd love to see what REALLY happened....just in gereral...not so much in regards to the $50.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Omar Samaha:

"He's like, 'Give me $100 more and I'll let you go and take the risk.' I got two guns for $600 without any identification check," Samaha said.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Story?id=7297745&page=1

Omar Samaha:

"They either sold me the gun still or they said, 'Pay me 15 more dollars and I'll go without looking at your ID," he replied.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/04/09/60minutes/main4931769_page2.shtml

Another thing I noticed. Phillip Van Cleave is an okayshot. I think his target was at 10 yards.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Philip Van Cleave delivered his usual performance - which is to say professional and well spoken, in my opinion.

It's just a shame that his (our) position is presented as the position opposing not only the likes of Sen Fineswine, but also the network itself.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tyrant Feinstein:

"Our police on the streets are essentialy outgunned"

I can't get full autos, tear gas, flash bang grenades, or urban assault vehicles.

"I'll pick the time and the place, no question about that." Tyrant Senator Feinstein on when she will start the legislation on banning a certain style of rifle

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

T Dubya wrote:

+1 I caught that too. Plus in the 20/20 piece.. they made it seem like he could buy from ANYONE.. on the 60 minutes piece they showed him asking people with signs and stuff and not dealers.

wylde007

imported post

T Dubya wrote:
"I'll pick the time and the place, no question about that." Tyrant Senator Feinstein on when she will start the legislation on banning a certain style of rifle
Pick away.

WILL NOT COMPLY.

2a4all

imported post

T Dubya wrote:

It's possible that he said all of these (different "trust level" for each seller) and 20/20 only reported the most spectacular. We don't know how these reports were edited.

I have to agree with the former VSP superintendent (60 minutes parking lot scene) who has difficulty with sellers who don't want to know to whom they sell their guns.

Neither report addressed the possibility that criminals were unloading stolen guns, or guns used in crimes.

les_aker

imported post

T Dubya wrote:
Tyrant Feinstein:

"Our police on the streets are essentialy outgunned"

In all the video coverage I saw of the recent shooting in NY, the police that were hiding behind their cars, trees, etc all appeared to be very well armed. There are all sorts of shotguns, M-16s, etc in their possession. They were certainly better armed than the murderer.

TFred

imported post

I missed the show, but from reading the descriptions, this is not at all a surprise.

The media is fresh off a November national election where they didn't only influence, they ensured the election of the President of the United States for their hand-picked candidate.

The elimination of guns from society is relative small potatoes, I have no doubt they fully believe they can accomplish this goal using the same tactics.

A lie, no matter how big, if repeated often and loudly enough is eventually believed.

TFred, who now fully understands the reason that liberals have dumbed down the public education system in this country.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

2a4all wrote:
SNIP:
It's possible that he said all of these (different "trust level" for each seller) and 20/20 only reported the most spectacular. We don't know how these reports were edited.
Bull

XD40coyote

imported post

Mr Van Cleave, you are the man! I liked the pwnage rebuttal in response to the question of armed college students- the response that we have young people the same age serving in the military.

The gun grabber young guy- yep I caught his slip of the tongue which he did TWICE- andI started saying "liar, liar, pants on fire" LOL ( appropriate for people with kindergarten emotional levels like the antis). The 2nd slip was he said he bought a dozen guns, but didn't the 20/20 show have him say 10 guns? Rest of anti stuff was usual gibberish. I mean my gosh, I feel bad that the one young lady was shot in the face, but has she ever thought " if only I had had a gun that day, and fired back at that guy...", or "what if one of my classmates was a gun owner who had a carry lisc and had some training, and had been carrying his gun that day?". And the "gun show loophole" stuff was the stupidest, the part about how the next Cho type will buy at a gun show. I was like " yeah, just give the next nutjob that idea, yeah that's the anti gun spirit!". The damned media fuels these shootings by incessantly chattering about them. And the guy when he said he bought a Glock "more powerful" than the one that killed his sister. OMG a big bad Glock, and a smaller bad Glock went and killed his sister!

Aside from the usual liberish( ooh, I made up a new word?), at least 60 Minutes presented both sides, I found that is was actually balanced and not totally biased. The host though, I could smell anti all over her. I am glad PVC was there.

BTW, PVC, was that an XD you had?

tag

imported post

T Dubya wrote:
Omar Samaha:

"He's like, 'Give me $100 more and I'll let you go and take the risk.' I got two guns for $600 without any identification check," Samaha said.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Story?id=7297745&page=1

Omar Samaha:

"They either sold me the gun still or they said, 'Pay me 15 more dollars and I'll go without looking at your ID," he replied.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/04/09/60minutes/main4931769_page2.shtml

Another thing I noticed. Phillip Van Cleave is an okayshot. I think his target was at 10 yards.
Another amount in the Washington Post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/10/AR2009041003282.html

""I purchased 10 guns in one hour with no questions asked or a background check," Samaha said. "I bought rifles and a Glock, shotguns -- anything, you name it. One person asked me if I could show him a driver's license, and I told him I didn't want to do it, and he said, 'If you give me 75 more dollars, I'll give it to you without looking.' ""

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

les_aker wrote:
XD40coyote wrote:
BTW, PVC, was that an XD you had?

I think Phil was shooting a Kahr Arms K-40, Matte Black with Night Sights.

http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_40sw_k.html

Model #K4044N
You nailed it, Les. I was using Crimson Trace laser grips on it. I figured they would find the shots with the laser more interesting for the piece, so I turned it on after the first group. I was shooting at 7 yards.

I had stupidly left my clear shooting glasses in the car and only had my shooting *sunglasses* in my range bag. The laser helped me aim since my night sights were a little hard to see in a dimly lit indoor range while wearing those sunglasses :?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Am I the only one that noticed that retired VSP superintendent Massendouche made the statement that people from all over the eastern states were there - implying that they were the ones that were buying from private sellers. Massendouche knows that the vast preponderance of out of state tags are from the vendors - licensed FFLs!

If somebody is driving to Va. to illegally buy weapons, there are already laws against that - enforce them.

Yata hey

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Am I the only one that noticed that retired VSP superintendent Massendouche made the statement that people from all over the eastern states were there - implying that they were the ones that were buying from private sellers
I noticed that.. I also noticed when she asked him about it and he said people come here to buy guns from folks selling out of the back of their car.. and thats legal with NO RESTRICTIONS. (What about being over 18? what about being a Virginia Resident?) He said NO RESTRICTIONS.