• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wal-mart Open Carry

xD.45Service

imported post

So in regards to how I was asked to leave wal-mart in Troy, I sent them a nice email on how open carry was legal in ohio and how they offended me and so on. Well i recieved a call from one of the assistant managers last night while i was at work. Called her back this morning, just got off the phone, She was saying walmarts policy is "If we dont see it, we dont care, because that's the law" I corrected her in that and explained open carry to her. She says she has to do more research on their policy for that. Does anyone in ohio here carry in Wal-marts other than Piqua/Sidney/Troy? and if so what does the management say about it? I would like to tell her about all the other stores in ohio that don't have a problem with it.. So, if you would, Let me know.

Legba

imported post

I don't shop Wal-Marx personally, so I haven't had any direct experience with this. I did have a weird experience recently where I drove some dope fiend to a methadone clinic while I was carrying. They had a guard (himself unarmed)there, but no posting about carry that I noticed. Whereas it may have been legal for me to be there armed, I didn't have any business inside, and I didn't want to instigate what would certainly have been a bad scene, so I stayed in the car. Drug addicts are prohibited persons, but a chauffeur for one should be OK, right? Pretty fine hairsplitting to the cops though, so I didn't press the issue.

My understanding is that Wal-Marx's official policy is to follow state law, so absent any posting, you should be legally OK. Tell them to throw up a sign if they don't like it, and then tell them you won't do business there if and when they do.

-ljp

v8shoguy

imported post

I OC in every WalMart I go to.
Colerain (US-27 at R. Regan highway in Cinci)
Northgate (US-27 at I-275)
Oxford

All OK. I talked to the manager of the Oxford store when they were posted. He was pro-2A and told me the back-story to the sign, then it was down next week.

Interestingly enough, I've only been asked to cover up by one WM, and that was in KY. They said there were family-friendly store and I should cover up. I told them that I couldn't and that I could finish shopping or they could ask me to leave right then. That is the only WM that I've ever had a problem then. I still OC when I go there. If they want me to leave they'll ask me to leave.

xD.45Service

imported post

Well, i got a call back from the assistant manager at the troy wal-mart stating they were simply uninformed and that they apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused, So i am allowed to carry there she says.

Well, that was easy enough.

xD.45Service

imported post

I want to but i have to talk the wife into it, driving to cleveland might suck but i will see what i can do. What time is it going on? and thats a friday isn't it?

Names Mike btw

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

xD.45Service wrote:
Well, i got a call back from the assistant manager at the troy wal-mart stating they were simply uninformed and that they apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused, So i am allowed to carry there she says.

Well, that was easy enough.
There is NO WAY.

This just can't be the case - you got a favorable answer without getting the Board of Directors to put it in writing?? Does not compute, does not compute...

Maybe you should let gunsfreak4791know how you did it. :cool:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum52/23050-1.html

IxionDeece

imported post

xD.45Service wrote:
I want to but i have to talk the wife into it, driving to cleveland might suck but i will see what i can do. What time is it going on? and thats a friday isn't it?

Names Mike btw
Yeah it is on the 10th, at 11 am. I am just trying to find someone else who is going cause I dont exactly trust my car to drive that far....lol.

matthollycart

imported post

I went to Super Walmart in Wadsworth, OH and open carried. Nothing was said to me... people didn't really notice much. I have also done so at Target in Cuyahoga Falls and Marc's. I think part of the reason people don't say anything to me is because when I go, I'm usually with my wife and 5 children, or at least with 2 of the children myself.

I've heard of stories where Wal Mart doesn't like it, but until they say something to me, I"m going to do it. The more people that know that open carry is legal, and the more people see it, the more acceptable it should become.

RebelHell

imported post

I open carried for the first time in Walmart here in Springfield last week (Tuttle Rd.). I kinda figured they would either throw me out or give mea wide berth. Surprisingly neither happened. Everyone was extremely polite and courteous. Almost sickeningly so. Never seen so many people in walmart jump out of their way to help me out. I guess it's true, An armed society is a polite society. :lol:

*edited for typos

sv7006`

imported post

I open carry at the south point, walmart and nothing has ever been said to me. but i can say that some employees do know me fairly well as i go up there like 4 times a week after i get off of my job to just look around and past time.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

xD.45Service wrote:
So in regards to how I was asked to leave wal-mart in Troy, I sent them a nice email on how open carry was legal in ohio and how they offended me and so on. Well i recieved a call from one of the assistant managers last night while i was at work. Called her back this morning, just got off the phone, She was saying walmarts policy is "If we dont see it, we dont care, because that's the law" I corrected her in that and explained open carry to her. She says she has to do more research on their policy for that. Does anyone in ohio here carry in Wal-marts other than Piqua/Sidney/Troy? and if so what does the management say about it? I would like to tell her about all the other stores in ohio that don't have a problem with it.. So, if you would, Let me know.

I OC at ALL and EVERY Walmart that I visit.

There has only been ONE Walmart that asked me to disarm and that was believe it or not the one in Price, Ut of all places !!!

Otherwise Walmart is Great here in Utah (to me at least)

matthollycart

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
xD.45Service wrote:

I OC at ALL and EVERY Walmart that I visit.

There has only been ONE Walmart that asked me to disarm and that was believe it or not the one in Price, Ut of all places !!!

Otherwise Walmart is Great here in Utah (to me at least)
You are blessed to live in such a good state. But at least I don't live in Florida or New York.

sv7006`

imported post

Matt don't forget California also. its not to friendly with weapons period

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

There have been sporadic stories of people here getting hassled with OC in Wal-Marts, but those who have pursued the issue by getting in touch with corporate in Bentonville, AR have always been told they're OK, and that W-M follows the laws of the state they are in. There's even a recording of a spirited phone call in which a corporate-office spokeswoman just about falls all over herself apologising for the hassle someone got when OC'ing in a local store.

Bottom line: Do it! There's NO official policy against it! :monkey