• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

vancouver wa oc'ers? and introduction

JOESEEB

imported post

My name is Joe and I'm 25 years old. I just bought my first handgun about twomonths ago followed by my rifle. these wherethe first weapons that i purchased for myself. In the future I plan on getting a Shooty if there not outlawed by then.

In the three and a half years I have lived in Vancouver I have only seen maybe one person OC. As I only have a shoulder rig I have yet to OC but plan on it as soon as I can get a new holster. Next week I will be applying for my CPL which i am really excited about. In the future I plan on participating in the OC adopt a Hyw program but its just to far away. if there's anyone in the Vancouver area that would like to get together and talk, hang out or OC;I would like to make some new friends so please contact me.

adamsesq

imported post

JOESEEB wrote:
My name is Joe and I'm 25 years old. I just bought my first handgun about twomonths ago followed by my rifle. these wherethe first weapons that i purchased for myself. In the future I plan on getting a Shooty if there not outlawed by then.

In the three and a half years I have lived in Vancouver I have only seen maybe one person OC. As I only have a shoulder rig I have yet to OC but plan on it as soon as I can get a new holster. Next week I will be applying for my CPL which i am really excited about. In the future I plan on participating in the OC adopt a Hyw program but its just to far away. if there's anyone in the Vancouver area that would like to get together and talk, hang out or OC;I would like to make some new friends so please contact me.

Hi JOE! Welcome. The Washington list is pretty active and there are a few people on the southern end of the state. I OC there somewhat often. Feel free to come across the border too but we have some weird rules regarding loaded open carry in some places here so know them. But feel free to join us for a lunch on the 19th - see the Oregon forum for details.

-adamsesq

Phssthpok

imported post

If you're game, I'll go with you to apply for your CPL. I'm out of work ATM so scheduling is pretty open for me. (I will be out of town this weekend though).

Also I seem to recall that w07rolla has a court date on the 7th of April which I'm planning on attending.

nathan

imported post

Hi Joe,

There are a handful of us in Vancouver. I open carry daily without any problems so give it a try when you're ready.

How did you hear about OCDO?

Nathan

JOESEEB

imported post

"Hi JOE! Welcome. The Washington list is pretty active and there are a few people on the southern end of the state. I OC there somewhat often. Feel free to come across the border too but we have some weird rules regarding loaded open carry in some places here so know them. But feel free to join us for a lunch on the 19th - see the Oregon forum for details."
-adamsesq

[shadow=red]I have been thinking about going to the lunch on Sunday as i have viewed that post several times. I am not sure i understand all of Oregon's rules. and i would have to talk with my wife before i could say i can go. Sunday's are a bad time for me as my wife leads worship and i am the tech guy for our church. but i still would like to go and may show up. thank you for the invite.[/shadow]

"If you're game, I'll go with you to apply for your CPL. I'm out of work ATM so scheduling is pretty open for me. (I will be out of town this weekend though).
Also I seem to recall that w07rolla has a court date on the 7th of April which I'm planning on attending."
Phssthpok

[shadow=blue]well i wont have any money until after the 6th so I will have to get off work early on the 10th to go and apply. i work in Portland and get off at 4 o clock so there is no way i can make it on time unless i get off early. I would love the company. i have to iron out the details with my wife and ill get back to you with the time and date. thank you for the support.[/shadow]

"Hi Joe,
There are a handful of us in Vancouver. I open carry daily without any problems so give it a try when you're ready.
How did you hear about OCDO?"
Nathan

[shadow=green]After hearing the sickening news about obomas plans I decided to find out as much as i could and find ways top preserve the right of the people to keep and bear arms. this took me to many sites and eventually while looking up repocity (if its spelled wrong I'm sorry) which lead me here. until i found this site i thought you could only carry if you had it concealed and had a permit or licence. I intend to OC soon I just want to make sure i understand all the rules before i do. I need a new holster as well my current one is a shoulder rig (digital camo) i just don't think that will give the right impression. so i plan to buy a fobus paddle holster soon just for OC carry. I feel this holster will give a more professional impression on the public. [/shadow]

once again thank you all for being so kind and helpful.

adamsesq

imported post

Just a quick suggestion on holsters. If you are going to OC OWB then get something that has some retention. There are a few choices but the Serpa seems to be one of the most popular.

-adamsesq

Phssthpok

imported post

once again thank you all for being so kind and helpful.
My first time OCing was a group picnic in Tacoma in a park. We had 5 or 6 cops congregated at a distance giving us the stink-eye at one point and I was CERTAIN we were going to get into it. After a few minutes they started to filter away and we were left in peace. Once you experience just ONE police/OC encounter (even just as a witness) where the OC 'wins' on legal grounds your whole worldview changes (at least mine did). Doing it with a group of friends helps a lot for your first time.:cool:

JOESEEB

imported post

SORRY ABOUT THE COLOR I WAS JUST TRYING TO SEPERATE. I HAVENT LOOKED AS SEPRA HOLSTERS YET BUT I WILL. AND THANKS FOR THE ADVICE.

edited:I have spent over tow hours using my google FU trying to find a sepra holster that fits a ruger p90 ans alass can not find one however teh fobus holster i vertualy the same it has a retension screw so just the same and is designed to fit my handgun. any other sugesstions? I will gladly look at others if anyone can point them out.

heresolong

imported post

JOESEEB wrote:
SORRY ABOUT THE COLOR I WAS JUST TRYING TO SEPERATE. I HAVENT LOOKED AS SEPRA HOLSTERS YET BUT I WILL. AND THANKS FOR THE ADVICE.

edited:I have spent over tow hours using my google FU trying to find a sepra holster that fits a ruger p90 ans alass can not find one however teh fobus holster i vertualy the same it has a retension screw so just the same and is designed to fit my handgun. any other sugesstions? I will gladly look at others if anyone can point them out.
Blackhawk doesn't make Serpas for any Rugers that I can find. I carry a KP345PR. However I went to Cabela's and we tested a bunch of the Serpas using a 345 they had in their gun case. Turned out that the one for the XD45 fit like a glove. I would recommend finding a friendly store and doing it that way. Make sure your pistol is unloaded before going in, however.

The advantage of the Serpa is the latch that locks into the trigger guard. In order to draw the weapon you put your hand in draw position, push down on the latch with your index finger, and then draw the pistol. Almost impossible to draw unless your hand is coming down at just the right angle. I currently have a Fobus and it is just a friction retention system. The trigger guard sort of clips into a molded area that is tensioned by the screw. Works nicely but not as secure as the Serpa.

adamsesq

imported post

Agreed with heresolong. I don't know what is happening with their sale out/bankruptcy or whatever but Sportsman's Warehouse on 82nd and Johnson Creek just off 205 had quite a large selection of Serpa's a year ago.

It might be hard to find a retention holster for a Ruger as they are not often thought of as carry guns although they are really nice. It is really worth a bit of work to find a safe quality holster though if you are going OC in public situations.

-adamsesq

JOESEEB

imported post

the only diffrance between a sepra and a fobus is that teh index finger is used to release on a sepra and on the fobus you must pull the firearm with a spacific amount of force and in the right direction. there is a fobus that has a push button thumb release. as you grab the handle of the firearm you depress the button with your thumb and it slides out. other then that there realy isnt anything that is not leather or nylon that will futh the P90 even the holster that ruger produced for the p-series handguns use only force retention. im looking hard and thinking about getting the thumb lever fobus. what do you think?

opticsplanet_2047_1931520502

Need quick access and level 2 retention? The FOBUS thumb release holster is your solution. Giving you instant access to your handgun, utilizing a thumb release lever mechanism, retention and speed are your allies. No need to alter your presentation or grip, the handgun is released during natural draw stroke with a smooth and quick motion. A revolutionary retention concept engages the trigger guard area during re-holstering, keeping the handgun secure at all times.

adamsesq

imported post

I like the fobus retention. I just like the Serpa better because it is a more natural act and the fobus might just require a bit more training/practice. But the fobus retention is far better then some compression only holster. IMnSHO.

-adamsesq

JOESEEB

imported post

well unfortuanatly my pistlo is laking in the accessory department but only there so its hard to find a good holster but i think im going to get the FOBUS and practice practice practice....

just_a_car

imported post

I see you've already decided on the Fobus, but I'd like to mention something about the Serpa that hasn't been mentioned yet.

The lever that is depressed with your index finger, upon drawing, places your index finger squarely upon the frame of the pistol, directly above the trigger... yano, exactly where it's supposed to be when you draw to prevent Negligent Discharge.

I have heard of situations where people (and I've only heard of LEO, but there may be other cases) were pressing the lever with a curled finger (like pulling a trigger) instead of levering it with a flat finger and that action (and continued force) put their finger in the trigger guard after sliding off the frame and they had an ND (one case was a female officer that shot herself in the thigh - don't want to find source at the moment, but it wouldn't be too hard to find).

I see the above-mentioned issue being A) a moot point for any firearm with an external safety mechanism such as a safety lever or button and B) curling your finger should never be a natural action while drawing and you should train not to do that... it's just irresponsible firearms handling, in my opinion.

JOESEEB

imported post

I OC'ed for the first time today!!! went on a walk and took the trash out just to get the feel for it:shock::what::celebrate. I also went to buy ammo but not OCing and couldn't find any ammo. so i bought a Fobus holster and must say i love it (sceptical at first) it feels comfortable to wear and unless its on your hip its impossible to draw. tested out how to draw a Little and took it off (when off i couldn't get it out, but i didn't try more then a couple times) all in all its amazing.