• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SCCC April 20-24th empty holster

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Ok so the week is fast approaching and I will be wearing my Blackhawk Serpa to every class that week. I would like to hand out info cards on open carry and concealed carry. Can anyone give me a link to a good handout that I can use. I would like to educate students on their right to defend themselves. I will also wear an extra mag holster. Anything else that I am missing?

hunter45

imported post

I'll be sporting my Blackhawk Serpa holster to class every day that week as well. I'm even bringing along an extra holster for one of my friends who said he would like to participate. Good idea about handing out OC info cards, I hadn't thought about that. I'll bring some of Ed's cards to hand out.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Same here! I tried to get my buddy at VT to carry one of my other holsters but he wont do it. I told him he was a.......well..........a bad name lol He likes shooting, but isn't OC friendly or college CC friendly:banghead: I told him wait till I'm 21 I'll be armed EVERYWHERE:celebrate

RoisinDubh

imported post

I plan on wearing my blackhawk serpa holster to all my classes that week as well. I think I might have a night test that week too, to which I'll probably also wear my holster.

nova

imported post

Last year I ordered a SCCC button from Cafepress.com. I suppose I'll wear it. However I've been less than thrilled with SCCC, after their selfish comments regarding OC in Texas. Not to mention I haven't heard a peep from GMUSCCC since last year. :? I think the guys that headed it up all graduated.

hunter45

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Same here! I tried to get my buddy at VT to carry one of my other holsters but he wont do it. I told him he was a.......well..........a bad name lol He likes shooting, but isn't OC friendly or college CC friendly:banghead: I told him wait till I'm 21 I'll be armed EVERYWHERE:celebrate

My friend was pretty enthusiastic about wearing the holster, and he's never even shot a gun before. He didn't really have an opinion on guns when I met him in August, but now he's very pro-gun and he went with me to the SCCC meeting this month (that was actually the first meeting ever at JMU). Now he's going to come shooting with me real soon and he plans on buying his first gun in the near future. :celebrate

Neplusultra

imported post

nova wrote:
Last year I ordered a SCCC button from Cafepress.com. I suppose I'll wear it. However I've been less than thrilled with SCCC, after their selfish comments regarding OC in Texas. Not to mention I haven't heard a peep from GMUSCCC since last year. :? I think the guys that headed it up all graduated.
What did they say about OCing?

nova

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
nova wrote:
What did they say about OCing?
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum64/20262.html

useful_idiot

Founder's Club Member
imported post

nova wrote:
Sooo... You will be taking over the effort from now on?! :cool:

nova

imported post

Well I'll have to see how the lawsuit against GMU goes. Though the plaintiff is not affiliated with the univ. it would make it a lot easier to push the issue with the school if there's no doubt the univ. has no legal standing on disarming the public.

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

I'm not sure I'm going to wear an empty holster.

I'm 22. I have my permit.

See if you can guess why I don't want to advertise that I'm into guns...might be selfish, but that's my story and it is what it is.

I'm in 4xxx and 5xxx classes in a small department. The classes aren't very large and the odds of my professors noticing my nice purdy Bianchi are pretty high and I don't really want them to notice...

foxcall

imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
I'm not sure I'm going to wear an empty holster.

I'm 22. I have my permit.

See if you can guess why I don't want to advertise that I'm into guns...might be selfish, but that's my story and it is what it is.

I'm in 4xxx and 5xxx classes in a small department. The classes aren't very large and the odds of my professors noticing my nice purdy Bianchi are pretty high and I don't really want them to notice...

Hey - your situation sounds exactly like mine haha. I'll probably still wear a holster around campus or something though.

nova

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
This fall I turn 21 and will be keeping my firearms talk to a minimum on campus. I have been looking at the smartcarry mainly.;)
Next April for me, and I feel the same way about keeping quiet on the issue on campus. Walk softly and carry a big stick.

Now if only the campus will let me try out one of their police interceptor segways...:uhoh:

hunter45

imported post

nova wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
This fall I turn 21 and will be keeping my firearms talk to a minimum on campus. I have been looking at the smartcarry mainly.;)
Next April for me, and I feel the same way about keeping quiet on the issue on campus. Walk softly and carry a big stick.

Now if only the campus will let me try out one of their police interceptor segways...:uhoh:

I have to wait 25 more months. :X

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Smartcarry + Wrangler Gold Buckle slim fit (my pants of choice) = UNCOMFORTABLE

IWB @ 4:30ish is comfy and hides well. Only concern is shirt riding up, but I've gotten pretty used to what shirts will cover it in what situations...

My $.02 on that situation. If I had my way (read: I were richer) I'd have a .380 mouse gun for deep conceal only...but I don't...so my choices are full size 9mm or less than full size .45.

hunter45

imported post

We are wearing our empty holsters next Thursday at JMU. I thought it was an all week thing, but I guess not. Unfortunately we've only had about 12 people at the meetings, but then again the SCCC group at JMU didn't even exist before last month.

Our campus leader notified the JMU police department of the empty holster protest. Look at this response he got:

Dear Mr. Dales:

As a faculty member I received your message, forwarded by Chief Schifflett, about the SCCC's plan to wear holsters next Thursday, the 23rd, though the Chief listed the 24th as the date. I have a couple of questions and comment.

First, is it the 23rd or 24th?

Second, I asked my students this morning if they new about the planned protest. They did not. Are you planning to make sure the JMU community is notified that some students are planning to wear holsters while on campus? I know you notified the Chief, but are you sure the message will get to the majority of the students? Can you imagine the level of fear if it doesn't? Wouldn't do your cause much good.

Third, even after I explained to my students that the holsters would be empty and, using SCCC's website, the reason for the protest, my students did not think the holster wearing was a good idea. It scares them, makes them feel less safe, as does the idea of students carrying concealed weapons on campus. So you may want to consider if a significant number of your peers support your cause. You and other SCCC members certainly have a right to feel safe in your daily lives, but so does every other citizen.

Sincerely,

Kenneth Wright

Dr. Kenneth R. Wright
Associate Professor
Writing, Rhetoric, and Technical Communication
James Madison University
Harrisonburg, VA 22807
(540) 568-6162