• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SCCC April 20-24th empty holster

Neplusultra

imported post

My take is the professor is right and wrong. It would be a good idea to advertise and let the student body know ahead of time. It will be a force multiplier and may get you into the school paper, in fact the paper is probably the place to go....

I would not take what he says about the students thinking it a bad idea and that it makes them feel scared. First who presented this information to them and how did he do it? If I had someone telling me how great the Nazis were would it surprise me to find out they were a Nazi :^) Hate to bring up the Godwin law so soon... Anyway that is one of the main purposes of the SCCC isn't it? To alleviate fear and educate and not just advocate.

If the students have fear it's because they are unfamiliar with guns and gun owners. There is a great episode on "30 Days" on hulu.com about a anti-gunner living in a house with progunners for thirty days. She was "very" uneasy but came to see gun owners and guns as normal after she experienced it first hand. Perhaps part of the newspaper article could be an open invite for any student that wants to go to the range and shoot guns, supported by the SCCC members....

Neplusultra

imported post

If you can't get an article in the school paper before the scheduled protest I would suggest delaying just for JMU until it does appear, or at least the day it appears. There's also no reason you can't extend the protest to more than one day. A whole week sounds much better to me anyway. You'll get five times the exposure.....

crazydude6030

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
We are wearing our empty holsters next Thursday at JMU. I thought it was an all week thing, but I guess not. Unfortunately we've only had about 12 people at the meetings, but then again the SCCC group at JMU didn't even exist before last month.

Our campus leader notified the JMU police department of the empty holster protest. Look at this response he got:

Dear Mr. Dales:

As a faculty member I received your message, forwarded by Chief Schifflett, about the SCCC's plan to wear holsters next Thursday, the 23rd, though the Chief listed the 24th as the date. I have a couple of questions and comment.

First, is it the 23rd or 24th?

Second, I asked my students this morning if they new about the planned protest. They did not. Are you planning to make sure the JMU community is notified that some students are planning to wear holsters while on campus? I know you notified the Chief, but are you sure the message will get to the majority of the students? Can you imagine the level of fear if it doesn't? Wouldn't do your cause much good.

Third, even after I explained to my students that the holsters would be empty and, using SCCC's website, the reason for the protest, my students did not think the holster wearing was a good idea. It scares them, makes them feel less safe, as does the idea of students carrying concealed weapons on campus. So you may want to consider if a significant number of your peers support your cause. You and other SCCC members certainly have a right to feel safe in your daily lives, but so does every other citizen.

Sincerely,

Kenneth Wright

Dr. Kenneth R. Wright
Associate Professor
Writing, Rhetoric, and Technical Communication
James Madison University
Harrisonburg, VA 22807
(540) 568-6162

Odd response. Its funny because just for kicks and grins i decided three weeks ago to wear my holster to class until class is done. So far not one person has asked me about it or expressed any problem with it.

nova

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
We are wearing our empty holsters next Thursday at JMU. I thought it was an all week thing, but I guess not. Unfortunately we've only had about 12 people at the meetings, but then again the SCCC group at JMU didn't even exist before last month.

Our campus leader notified the JMU police department of the empty holster protest. Look at this response he got:

Dear Mr. Dales:

As a faculty member I received your message, forwarded by Chief Schifflett, about the SCCC's plan to wear holsters next Thursday, the 23rd, though the Chief listed the 24th as the date. I have a couple of questions and comment.

Second, I asked my students this morning if they new about the planned protest. They did not. Are you planning to make sure the JMU community is notified that some students are planning to wear holsters while on campus? I know you notified the Chief, but are you sure the message will get to the majority of the students? Can you imagine the level of fear if it doesn't? Wouldn't do your cause much good.

Third, even after I explained to my students that the holsters would be empty and, using SCCC's website, the reason for the protest, my students did not think the holster wearing was a good idea. It scares them, makes them feel less safe, as does the idea of students carrying concealed weapons on campus. So you may want to consider if a significant number of your peers support your cause. You and other SCCC members certainly have a right to feel safe in your daily lives, but so does every other citizen.

Sincerely,

Kenneth Wright

Dr. Kenneth R. Wright
Associate Professor
James Madison University
Harrisonburg, VA 22807
(540) 568-6162
Ohhhhh scary empty pieces of dead cow! LOOK OUT!!!!

hunter45

imported post

I'd like to carry two empty mags in the new magazine pouch I just ordered, but if they are that scared of an empty holster, maybe I won't push them any further.

Riana

imported post

nova wrote:
:lol:That right there made me laugh out loud!

As for students being frightened by empty holsters.... WTH? I should think even liberals would know better...

sccrref

imported post

Riana wrote:
nova wrote:
:lol:That right there made me laugh out loud!

As for students being frightened by empty holsters.... WTH? I should think even liberals would know better...
Conservatives would definitely know better whatever their age. Liberals do not and will not know better. They will be afraid of the empty holsters, mag holders and mags. It is the nature of the beast.

Neplusultra

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
DHCruiser wrote:
That was my thought...lol! Heck, wear it everyday. I can't remember the cite, but I seem to remember it was ruled an expression of free speech, so it should be protected.
be careful JMU doesn't try to pin you with something for that:uhoh:
If they for some oddball reason actually try to do so. Act all confident and just say, "How do you spell 'lawsuit'". That's "Lawsuit, with punitive damages". First, there is nothing illegal about it so public U's are fair game. If JMU is private, there has to be some specific rule about it. If they try to apply some general disturbing the peace mumbo jumbo don't be worried about that because the perception of others is not relevant if you are not doing something overtly threatening, which an "empty" holster is NOT! Good golly, it's freakin' EMPTY! :^) Now if you were to say something like, "If this holster wasn't empty I'd shoot you in the head" , then yeah, you'd be boned :^).

CRF250rider1000

imported post

I meant the magazines, which are technically a part of a firearm. I probably wouldn't go that far, but an empty holster is just fine.;) I realized that I quoted the wrong person at first so I fixed it:)

essayons

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
snip

Sincerely,

Kenneth Wright

Dr. Kenneth R. Wright
Associate Professor
James Madison University
Harrisonburg, VA 22807
(540) 568-6162
I can't get over the part in bold. I mean, isn't it the entire point of the protest to get attention for your cause and to garner support for it? If "a significant number of your peers" supported the cause (publicly at least), what would be the point of the protest. We'd just bring the issue up at the next SGA meeting and presto-whammo, CC on campus.

I guess you shouldn't protest anything unless everybody is already on your side. Free Speech! but only if everyone agrees with you? It dismays me this person is a professor, but it is sadly typical of academia these days. Lots of knowledge but no damn sense.

Neplusultra

imported post

essayons wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
snip

Sincerely,

Kenneth Wright

Dr. Kenneth R. Wright
Associate Professor
James Madison University
Harrisonburg, VA 22807
(540) 568-6162
I can't get over the part in bold. I mean, isn't it the entire point of the protest to get attention for your cause and to garner support for it? If "a significant number of your peers" supported the cause (publicly at least), what would be the point of the protest. We'd just bring the issue up at the next SGA meeting and presto-whammo, CC on campus.

I guess you shouldn't protest anything unless everybody is already on your side. Free Speech! but only if everyone agrees with you? It dismays me this person is a professor, but it is sadly typical of academia these days. Lots of knowledge but no damn sense.
Ha! Nice observation! Deception is never rational, I guess we need to remember that :^).

hunter45

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
DHCruiser wrote:
That was my thought...lol! Heck, wear it everyday. I can't remember the cite, but I seem to remember it was ruled an expression of free speech, so it should be protected.
be careful JMU doesn't try to pin you with something for that:uhoh:
If they for some oddball reason actually try to do so.  Act all confident and just say, "How do you spell 'lawsuit'".  That's "Lawsuit, with punitive damages".  First, there is nothing illegal about it so public U's are fair game.  If JMU is private, there has to be some specific rule about it.  If they try to apply some general disturbing the peace mumbo jumbo don't be worried about that because the perception of others is not relevant if you are not doing something overtly threatening, which an "empty" holster is NOT!  Good golly, it's freakin' EMPTY!  :^)   Now if you were to say something like, "If this holster wasn't empty I'd shoot you in the head" , then yeah, you'd be boned :^).

So what do you guys think, should I carry the spare mags, too? I want to carry them, but I also don't want to cause a big commotion.

hsmith

imported post

hunter45 wrote:

Dear Mr. Dales:

Sincerely,

Kenneth Wright

Dr. Kenneth R. Wright
Associate Professor

James Madison University
Harrisonburg, VA 22807
(540) 568-6162
I SPELL GOOD

IanB

imported post

Edited: ARRRGGGHHH!! Hsmith beat me to it. If I had read the rest of the thread before posting I would have newn he caught it first! :lol:

hunter45

imported post

Wow! Some professors are canceling class here at JMU on Thursday because of the empty holster protest (and I think there's only like 15 students that are wearing empty holsters, or at least that's how many have come to the meetings).

CRF250rider1000

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
Wow! Some professors are canceling class here at JMU on Thursday because of the empty holster protest (and I think there's only like 15 students that are wearing empty holsters, or at least that's how many have come to the meetings).
seriously!? wow................