• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying a gun while on a motorcycle

hcantrelle

imported post

Does anyone know what the law is about carrying a gun while on a motorcycle?

KBCraig

imported post

A motorcycle is a motor vehicle. You can carry a loaded handgun in (on) a motor vehicle in Louisiana with no permit, either openly or concealed.

If you're carrying openly, then once you stop and dismount, you're covered by the right to OC as stated in the Louisiana state constitution (Section 11, I believe).

imported post

KBCraig,
You are absolutely correct. Article 1 sec 11 guarantees the right to bear arms.
Your motor vehicle is an extension of your home and you are afforded SOME of the rights you'd enjoy sitting in your recliner. Can't really remember anyone being ordered out of their recliner, though.

Last year, at the request of a Jefferson Parish deputy, a state legislator attempted to outlaw riding a motorcycle while armed. When I read him article 1 sec 11, I asked him why would he be involved in something which would directly violate both the supreme law of the state AND his oath of office? He agreed, withdrew his bill, end of THAT problem.
Cantrelle, do you ride, also?

hcantrelle

imported post

yes we enjoy to ride. i just never knew the law.I have heard that if Ihave my gun in the car and I get pulled over that Ican be put in cuffs and my gun and or bullets can be taken. another question is can i carry my hand gun walking down the street?

hcantrelle

imported post

Iask about thestreet because if my gun is in a holster on my side whenI get off my bike then I'm no longer on a motor vehicle instead I'm in a public place and was wondering how the law applies