• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying a rifle in NJ

pullnshoot25

imported post

I know you need a permit in NJ to conceal or openly carry a firearm, but does the firearm definition extend to both rifles and handguns or just handguns?

Just curious...

Tom488

imported post

Speaking in general terms (ie. without respect to the various exemptions provided for in 2C:39-6), you need a permit to carry a handgun in order to legally possess a handgun (2C:39-5b). You need a Firearms ID card to legally possess a rifle or shotgun (2C:39-5c). You may never possess a loaded rifle or shotgun (2C:39-5c(2)).

So, according to the law, you're legal to open or conceal carry a rifle or shotgun, so long as it is unloaded, and you are in possession of a Firearms ID card.

In practical terms, walking down main street with a slung rifle is going to get you arrested.

pullnshoot25

imported post

CowboyKen wrote:
pullnshoot25 wrote:
What is the turnaround time on the arrest? As in, how long from the time I am in cuffs until I am released?

This sounds like it might be fun...
So you think this "sounds like it might be fun..."?

Not the jail part, the arrest-to-figuring out-they-are-Nazis-and--I'm-legal part.

It happens pretty quick out here in CA, shouldn't be much longer in NJ. Then again, I am basing this on relative logical logic, not actual reality.

nj12ga

imported post

Tom488 wrote:
Speaking in general terms (ie. without respect to the various exemptions provided for in 2C:39-6), you need a permit to carry a handgun in order to legally possess a handgun (2C:39-5b). You need a Firearms ID card to legally possess a rifle or shotgun (2C:39-5c). You may never possess a loaded rifle or shotgun (2C:39-5c(2)).

So, according to the law, you're legal to open or conceal carry a rifle or shotgun, so long as it is unloaded, and you are in possession of a Firearms ID card.

In practical terms, walking down main street with a slung rifle is going to get you arrested.

open carry in jersey? only if your wearing blaze orange, a CCW is a permit to carry concealed (handgun) only, to buy a long gun an FID is required,,to buy a handgun a pistol purchase permit is required, when transporting a firearm in nj,it must be in a locked case,unloaded and ammo must be located seperatly in the vehicle, nothing is required to legally own orhave a firearm in your possesion,as long as you are home,place of business you ownor heading to target shoot,gunsmith or hunting; permitsare forpurchase only.

Tom488

imported post

I respectfully suggest that you read the law as it is written:

2C:39-5 - Unlawful Possession of Weapons

b. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any handgun [...] without first having obtained a permit to carry the same [...] is guilty of a crime

Therefore, if you have a permit to carry, you may possess a handgun. Nothing is said about concealed vs. open, so by law, open carry with a permit is legal.

And with respect to long guns:

c. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms perchaser identification card [...] is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

Therefore, possession of a long gun (as long as it's unloaded - see section d) is legal if the possessor has an FID card. Now, if you didn't have an FID, then you're only legal if operating under the exemptions of 2C:39-6e of -6f, and transporting under the requirements of 2C:39-6g, which does NOT require a locked case. Again, quoting from the actual law:

g. All weapons being transported under [various paragraphs of 2C:39-6] shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile.

Closed and fastened case is not a locked case. Also note that nothing is said about ammunition, other than the firearms must be unloaded.

What you could be confused with is the FAQ on the NJSP site that talks about transporting firearms INTO the state. In that FAQ, they're referring to the federal tansportation laws (part of FOPA), which specify a locked case (or locked in trunk), and ammunition separate. FOPA isn't applicable to intra-state transportation - NJ Statute 2C:39 is the only applicable law in that instance.

nj12ga

imported post

Isee your point, dont totally agree but ,my advice to anyone that wants to carry in nj ...dont try..nj is a "may issue" state, other states are "shall issue"....if any normal person went to a PD and asked for the carry application,they'ed get a "when pigs fly" response,only judges and alike get them...even the policeneed to have an FID to buy a gun...NJ doesnt care what gun owners from other states are aloud to do... "ven ju ar en jerzy you vill conform".....god help us...

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Any FID regs for AOW's? Trying to make a 3 barrel .22 gatlin gun, no trigger just
the crank handle to mess with the ATF's one trigger pull regs. Plus
the added fun of: Is it 1 or 3 silencer licences needed, it is just one gun.

Looks like a very nice jail though, even has the dome that our mayor keeps
trying to cram up our a$$.

12 gauge accross back, and 20 guage shells on belt to really mess with them.:cuss:

NJ must be almost as safe as DC with those requirments. :lol:
But the chances of me ever being forced to move back to the NE is about as
good as BHO fighting for tax refunds paid in guns and ammo insted of cash.