• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCDL Services I'd Like To See

bennettprescott

Opt-Out Members
imported post

It is incredibly difficult to keep all the gun activity in the legislature straight. On any given day I find out about a bill that I like or dislike that is firearms related, and I try to write my appropriate representatives about it. I also usually find out about a bill that I had no idea about, that's about to be voted on, and now I have to scramble to write a defensive not to my rep before it's too late.

I think that one of the most valuable things the CCDL could do on their website would be to list every current representative's vote on past gun issues, and upcoming gun issues they will see. I have to wade through a lot of non-gun-related voting to find the stuff that my local rep has done to piss me off, and sometimes I don't find out about it until it's way too late since the "bad" parts were buried in some national park bill or something.

It would also be incredibly valuable to have an endorsement from the CCDL to think about on my way to the polls. Some of my reps I follow more closely than others, and upcoming reps that may be more pro-gun I may not even know about. My first time voting in CT was just weeks after moving here and I felt like I was voting blind, it would be nice to not have to do that again.

I know we at the CCDL don't have anything like the numbers we need to get that sort of service going yet, but I think it should be a goal in the first year of our operation. I think it could be a major part of our recognition at the state level, with various politicians seeking our endorsement, and the ability to say to those that lost it exactly why they did. Additionally, every time a representative makes a quick vote without checking the fine print, we at the CCDL could get their attention with a few dozen (or hundred!) letters.

GoldCoaster

imported post

This is a great idea. Along with that divvy up a list of state and national "representatives" per geographic area so that when it comes time to mobilize and get their attention we all know who we are writing to and each "quadrant" of the state can get going on the letter writing without the pre-arrangement "Ok I'll take so and so" it will be known who writes to whom and it gets done.

Having a list of perhaps easily printable info for the pro-2A attorneys - the ones in Derby I have and Miss Baird is probably a good resource too. I'm sure there are others in the state we need to find out. I'd be interested if they'd consider themselves a good "first call" in the event of a firearms related hassle.

Some informal listing/rating of various shops and ranges around the state. I'm only really familiar with Bridgeport Shooting Range and a couple of the shops in Milford. I like BSR and shoot there often, good people, good classes, and now a nice shop etc. As for shops, one shop in Milford didn't seem interested in helping, the other one was very friendly and patient. that kind of thing. I'd rather patronize shops that appreciate us.

I'm sure there's more we can do, just need to ponder it some more.

romma

imported post

This is a great Bennett.... Soon enough I am sure we will have a list of target objectives that will come up very very soon that we can put to a vote.

Although the primary focus is on the model we are building for now, we can focus attacks pretty quickly I'd imagine...

Soon our new Media person (whoever that is) can draft announcements that will be sent to local TV stations and newspapers announcing the formation of a new CTbasedFirearms RightsGroup.Possibly after our next meeting or two. ;)

romma

imported post

Great point Bennett. I want our State legislature to have to think twice about the ramifications of having to deal with the likes of us before they even consider drafting legislation that goes against our principled beliefs..

Same thing for DPS attempting to propose any as well...

buketdude

imported post

side note...SB 353 (Microstamping is dead)....tomm is the last day it can be voted on its not even on the agenda.....

Hello, I was wondering if the Senator knew the status of SB353 (An act concerning the microstamping of pistols). I know the deadline is friday and was wondering if this bill is dead or if it will be coming up for a vote? Thank you so much!!!

[align=left]Dear Erik,[/align] [align=left]Senator Kissel has heard that this bill will not be taken up for a vote and is dead, but we won't know for sure until Friday.[/align] [align=left]Thank you for your email![/align] [align=left]Elisabeth[/align]