• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What other CHP's do you have?

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

I just started looking into what other state's CHP'sare available to us. I already have Virginia, Utah and New Hampshire and just mailed away for Pennsylvania.

Aside from Florida, any others that you guys can think of that are fairly easy to get?

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Arizona. I have taken the training for the Utah CHP (or whatever they call it), but never did get around to filing the paperwork so I'll probably need to retake the course. However, since taking the Utah course Arizona and Virginia have added reciprocity states that the Utah permit would've bought me. I think the only remaining states that I could possibly pick up are Nevada and Minnesota.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

jmelvin wrote:
Arizona. I have taken the training for the Utah CHP (or whatever they call it), but never did get around to filing the paperwork so I'll probably need to retake the course. However, since taking the Utah course Arizona and Virginia have added reciprocity states that the Utah permit would've bought me. I think the only remaining states that I could possibly pick up are Nevada and Minnesota.

Arizona would be a fun permit to have. I'll look into that one.

As for Utah, you have one year from the date of the class to apply. Are you in that one year window?

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'm probably in that year window if I can find the paperwork. The problem with getting the Arizona permit is that the coursework is only taught in AZ, if I recall. Fortunately it's only an 8 hour course now and you can use the rest of your time to discover this cool state.

nova

imported post

Maine
New Hampshire

next year I'll get a VA CHP.

hometheaterman

imported post

How do they allow you get a permit in another state you don't live in?

I know my mother tried to get a permit in another county that she owned land with a house in as the permit was $15 vs $50. Well, didn't really try just called to ask if she could and they told her she had to get it in the county she resided in. Didn't seem to matter that she owned a house their too since it wasn't where her residence was.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

hometheaterman wrote:
Depends on the state.. MANY people get Virginia No-Resident permits and UTAH and Florida since they are pretty easy to get and are good permits to have.. I'd say if you can only get two.. get VA and UTAH

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

hometheaterman wrote:

I know my mother tried to get a permit in another county that she owned land with a house in as the permit was $15 vs $50. Well, didn't really try just called to ask if she could and they told her she had to get it in the county she resided in. Didn't seem to matter that she owned a house their too since it wasn't where her residence was.
Non-resident permits are offered by many states. Your mom's issue was likely because she was applying for a "resident" permit but in the "wrong" county...I live in Montgomery Co. 9+ months out of the year, but since I rent here and have a permanent address in Suffolk, I had to go back to Suffolk for my Resident permit.

As to the original topic: I have Virginia and New Hampshire. Just needed unrestricted passage down I-95S. GA was standing in my way, so a NH permit fixed that.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

hometheaterman the restrictions would fully depend on the state. Virginia offers both resident and non-resident CHP, so anyone who is not otherwise barred from obtaining a CHP may get one regardless of residency status. Virginia residents however mustmake their application to their circuit court presiding over their residential area, but in any case the court must issue the permit if the state mandated requirements are met. Arizona, Utah, Florida, Nevada, Pennsylvania and various others do the same. In some states like Connecticut and Massachusetts, it's actually generally easier for a non-resident to receive a permit to carry or conceal a handgun, since the non-resident permits go through a state bureau that may be less restrictive in their permitissuance than the counties or cities that some residents would have to go to.

Note here thought that both Connecticut and Massachusetts are, "may issue" states where the issuing officials have wide lattitude for approval and rejection of permit requests and there is no statewide minimum requirement that must be met that would force the issuing body to issue a carry permit. That is to say someone in the rural areas of Massachusetts may have a sheriff that will issue a firearm carry permit to just about anyone, except for those legallybarred from owning a firearm, but a police agency chiefnear Boston may only issue permits to political cronies or no-one at all because they can pick and choose who will and won't get a permit.

hometheaterman

imported post

jmelvin wrote:
hometheaterman the restrictions would fully depend on the state. Virginia offers both resident and non-resident CHP, so anyone who is not otherwise barred from obtaining a CHP may get one regardless of residency status. Virginia residents however mustmake their application to their circuit court presiding over their residential area, but in any case the court must issue the permit if the state mandated requirements are met. Arizona, Utah, Florida, Nevada, Pennsylvania and various others do the same. In some states like Connecticut and Massachusetts, it's actually generally easier for a non-resident to receive a permit to carry or conceal a handgun, since the non-resident permits go through a state bureau that may be less restrictive in their permitissuance than the counties or cities that some residents would have to go to.

Note here thought that both Connecticut and Massachusetts are, "may issue" states where the issuing officials have wide lattitude for approval and rejection of permit requests and there is no statewide minimum requirement that must be met that would force the issuing body to issue a carry permit. That is to say someone in the rural areas of Massachusetts may have a sheriff that will issue a firearm carry permit to just about anyone, except for those legallybarred from owning a firearm, but a police agency chiefnear Boston may only issue permits to political cronies or no-one at all because they can pick and choose who will and won't get a permit.

Thanks. That makes sense I just didn't know it was the case. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

nova

imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
I live in Montgomery Co. 9+ months out of the year, but since I rent here and have a permanent address in Suffolk, I had to go back to Suffolk for my Resident permit.
Funny how VA won't let you get your CHP in Montgomery Co., yet they allowed all those students at VA Tech to register to vote in that county (which resulted in the county going for BHO). Interesting.:?

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

nova wrote:
SaltH2OHokie wrote:
I live in Montgomery Co. 9+ months out of the year, but since I rent here and have a permanent address in Suffolk, I had to go back to Suffolk for my Resident permit.
Funny how VA won't let you get your CHP in Montgomery Co., yet they allowed all those students at VA Tech to register to vote in that county (which resulted in the county going for BHO). Interesting.:?
That was/is a F'd up situation in my opinion. The way I read the law you had to register to vote where your legal address was (ie the address on your license.) There is nothing saying you can't change that to your college address (and I thought about doing that just for the ease of getting the permit up here) but my money is that near zero of those voters changed their permanent address. I know my sister didn't...and she voted up here...

nova

imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
nova wrote:
SaltH2OHokie wrote:
That was/is a F'd up situation in my opinion. The way I read the law you had to register to vote where your legal address was (ie the address on your license.) There is nothing saying you can't change that to your college address (and I thought about doing that just for the ease of getting the permit up here) but my money is that near zero of those voters changed their permanent address. I know my sister didn't...and she voted up here...
My brother got his voter registration card down there, listed his blacksburg residence. His DL is still from fairfax. he voted down there (not for "the one").
That election had lots of funky crap going on which is no doubt why "the one" "won" the election. The cards were stacked in his favor from the beginning.

Chaingun81

imported post

Pardon my ignorance...i only have VA CHP and it seems to me that it already gives me reciprocy in most reasonable shall issue states. I noticed that a lot of people get UtahandFlorida - which states each of them adds in addition to what VA permit gives?

denwego

imported post

For me, it's Virginia, NH, and a limbo-esque Colorado permit. Since I'm no longer a resident of CO, my permit is inactive and invalid, but if I ever moved back to the state before 2013, it would be automatically active again (no reapplication).

t11spanner

imported post

denwego wrote:
For me, it's Virginia, NH, and a limbo-esque Colorado permit. Since I'm no longer a resident of CO, my permit is inactive and invalid, but if I ever moved back to the state before 2013, it would be automatically active again (no reapplication).

Virginia, Utah (NR) and Nevada. My Nevada is in the same state as Denwego's.

Carl

virginiatuck

imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
Pardon my ignorance...i only have VA CHP and it seems to me that it already gives me reciprocy in most reasonable shall issue states. I noticed that a lot of people get UtahandFlorida - which states each of them adds in addition to what VA permit gives?
For starters, Alabama and Georgia do not reciprocate with Virginia for concealed carry permits.

Virginia doesn't honor Alabama's permits because Alabama won't make a database of current permit holders available 24/7 by phone or Internet. So in turn, Alabama won't honor Virginia's permit *only* because Virginia won't honor Alabama's permit.
http://www.ago.state.al.us/ag_items.cfm?Issue=64

I do not know why Georgia doesn't reciprocate with Virginia, but at least in Georgia you can legally conceal a handgun in a motor vehicle without a permit. I believe it is Article 4 of Chapter 11 of Title 16 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated. I don't have a link.