Thread: Hello, new here from outside Detroit.

Post imported post

Just learning about open carry. I have a few questions. Is there somewhere with a list of cities in Michigan where OC is banned. And I Have a beretta 92fs with an inside the pant holster. The entire handle and up to a little in front of the rear sight is viewable if I tuck my shirt behind it. Would this be considered O.K. or not? Any feedback would be appreciated.

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

First: Welcome to OCDO
    Second: Please read the stickyed threads at the top of the forum.
    Third: Preemption nullifies all local ordinances against open carry.
    Forth: If you have a CPL the shirt tucked behind the IWB holster is fine.
    Fifth: If you do not have a valid CPL DO NOT CARRY USING AN IWB HOLSTER !

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

As doug said,

Open Carry is legal statewide. Per MCL 123.1102, No local form of gov't can make any regulations regarding transportation and carriage of a firearm.

The ONLY thing local gov't can regulate with regard to firearms is the discharge of the firearm.

Welcome to OCDO. Read up, there's a lot of laws to wrap your brain around!

-Zzz

Post imported post

Thanks guys, I'm gonna get a smaller pistol soon anyway. Earlier I tried out my Ruger GP-100, with a regular belt holster, It was quite noticeable. I live in metro detroit so people would have had a fit. I'm Thinking about a Kahr, a Kel Tec, or Smith & Wesson 5-shot .38, .357, or Taurus 5 shot .38, .357.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

aceofspades3ss3 wrote:
    Thanks guys, I'm gonna get a smaller pistol soon anyway. Earlier I tried out my Ruger GP-100, with a regular belt holster, It was quite noticeable. I live in metro detroit so people would have had a fit. I'm Thinking about a Kahr, a Kel Tec, or Smith & Wesson 5-shot .38, .357, or Taurus 5 shot .38, .357.
    If you think Livonia's bad, try in Ann Arbor!

Seriously though, 90% of people are in their own world and don't even notice. The only people I catch flak from are Mall Security and off-duty police officers. They all seem to think that the only people who carry besides them are criminals.

I keep information on me and use it profusely.

Post imported post

aceofspades3ss3 wrote:
    Welcome aboard! You will learn that open carrying, no matter how big or small the handgun, actually isn't a big deal to the overwhelming number of other people in the overwhelming number of times you do it. Therefore, purchase and carry the firearm YOU feel comfortable with from the perspective of survivability. That is what matters.

I suggest you come to an open-carry gathering before making a final purchase decision. See all the different sizes and types of handguns. Talk with folks about the various things they like about what they carry.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Post imported post

welcome to OC

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:
    Somewhere in all my research I missed the part about if you have a CPL the shirt tucked behind the IWB holster is fine. I could have easily OC'd at the Coffee Beanery meeting!

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

Ethan_Frome wrote:
    dougwg wrote:
    Somewhere in all my research I missed the part about if you have a CPL the shirt tucked behind the IWB holster is fine. I could have easily OC'd at the Coffee Beanery meeting!
    We had a member arrested for that. At this time we don't know of any case law supporting an IWB. So be careful.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

Venator wrote:
    Ethan_Frome wrote:
    Somewhere in all my research I missed the part about if you have a CPL the shirt tucked behind the IWB holster is fine...
    We had a member arrested for that. At this time we don't know of any case law supporting an IWB. So be careful.
    Brian, wasn't the guy arrested because he wasopen carrying with an IWB holster and hedid NOT have a CPL? I think Ethan is talking about carrying in that manner WITH a CPL, right? And our expectation is this is unambiguously lawful, correct? If you have a CPL, you can carry in this manner because if it's considered concealed, you are covered by your license, and if it's considered open carry you are covered because OC is not illegal. Is that reasoning right?
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Post imported post

DanM wrote:
    Venator wrote:
    Ethan_Frome wrote:
    Somewhere in all my research I missed the part about if you have a CPL the shirt tucked behind the IWB holster is fine...
    Brian, wasn't the guy arrested because he wasopen carrying with an IWB holster and hedid NOT have a CPL? I think Ethan is talking about carrying in that manner WITH a CPL, right? And our expectation is this is unambiguously lawful, correct? If you have a CPL, you can carry in this manner because if it's considered concealed, you are covered by your license, and if it's considered open carry you are covered because OC is not illegal. Is that reasoning right?
    Yes of course I was referring to no CPL. With a CPL the gun can be anywhere on orin your body.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

MOC Charter Member - Dearborn Heights, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Venator wrote:
    ...in your body.
    :what:

Post imported post

ISMOID wrote:
    Venator wrote:
    ...in your body.
    :what:
    With an ismoidal scope.:celebrate That's deep concealment.

Post imported post

Is there specific code on how much gun has to be exposed?

Post imported post

AB wrote:
    Is there specific code on how much gun has to be exposed?
    No, and that is the problem. There is an AG opinion about holsters being not concealed, but obviously IWB holsters started off as being intended to conceal. Also, flap holsters hide most of the gun, to the point where you might think someone was carrying even if a flap holster was empty.

It's something that could use case law, but no one wants to be the test subject.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

When ever law is not defined by itself, you have to look at law definitions like ina dictionary attorneys use.

ie,Blacks Law Dictionary

"There is an AG opinion about holsters " Do you have this?

Post imported post

I OC in Warren and have OCed in Livonia. Recently I OCed at the Rock Financial Showplace.Had to unload my IWB 45acp at the door and they put a chicken strap through the barrel which allowed me to put said 45 back in IWB. Reloaded on my way out the door.No Problem in Livonia,Warren or anywhere I have OCed.As should always be anywhere in MI. Thank you Guy's! God Bless!
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

Post imported post

hamaneggs wrote:
    I OC in Warren and have OCed in Livonia. Recently I OCed at the Rock Financial Showplace.Had to unload my IWB 45acp at the door and they put a chicken strap through the barrel which allowed me to put said 45 back in IWB. Reloaded on my way out the door.No Problem in Livonia,Warren or anywhere I have OCed.As should always be anywhere in MI. Thank you Guy's! God Bless!
    I live near 9 and Ryan, need some local lunches! Tired of seeing those guys in Jackson having all the fun...

Post imported post

AB wrote:
    When ever law is not defined by itself, you have to look at law definitions like ina dictionary attorneys use.

ie,Blacks Law Dictionary

"There is an AG opinion about holsters " Do you have this?
    All your questions can be answered here: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/13328.html

We have the AG opinions cite in a few places, check out the download of the MOC Open carry brochure in the above link.