• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hello, new here from outside Detroit.

aceofspades3ss3

imported post

Just learning about open carry. I have a few questions. Is there somewhere with a list of cities in Michigan where OC is banned. And I Have a beretta 92fs with an inside the pant holster. The entire handle and up to a little in front of the rear sight is viewable if I tuck my shirt behind it. Would this be considered O.K. or not? Any feedback would be appreciated.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

First: Welcome to OCDO
Second: Please read the stickyed threads at the top of the forum.
Third: Preemption nullifies all local ordinances against open carry.
Forth: If you have a CPL the shirt tucked behind the IWB holster is fine.
Fifth: If you do not have a valid CPL DO NOT CARRY USING AN IWB HOLSTER !

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

As doug said,

Open Carry is legal statewide. Per MCL 123.1102, No local form of gov't can make any regulations regarding transportation and carriage of a firearm.

The ONLY thing local gov't can regulate with regard to firearms is the discharge of the firearm.

Welcome to OCDO. Read up, there's a lot of laws to wrap your brain around!

-Zzz

aceofspades3ss3

imported post

Thanks guys, I'm gonna get a smaller pistol soon anyway. Earlier I tried out my Ruger GP-100, with a regular belt holster, It was quite noticeable. I live in metro detroit so people would have had a fit. I'm Thinking about a Kahr, a Kel Tec, or Smith & Wesson 5-shot .38, .357, or Taurus 5 shot .38, .357.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

aceofspades3ss3 wrote:
Thanks guys, I'm gonna get a smaller pistol soon anyway. Earlier I tried out my Ruger GP-100, with a regular belt holster, It was quite noticeable. I live in metro detroit so people would have had a fit. I'm Thinking about a Kahr, a Kel Tec, or Smith & Wesson 5-shot .38, .357, or Taurus 5 shot .38, .357.

If you think Livonia's bad, try in Ann Arbor!

Seriously though, 90% of people are in their own world and don't even notice. The only people I catch flak from are Mall Security and off-duty police officers. They all seem to think that the only people who carry besides them are criminals.

I keep information on me and use it profusely.

DanM

imported post

aceofspades3ss3 wrote:
Welcome aboard! You will learn that open carrying, no matter how big or small the handgun, actually isn't a big deal to the overwhelming number of other people in the overwhelming number of times you do it. Therefore, purchase and carry the firearm YOU feel comfortable with from the perspective of survivability. That is what matters.

I suggest you come to an open-carry gathering before making a final purchase decision. See all the different sizes and types of handguns. Talk with folks about the various things they like about what they carry.

Ruckus

imported post

dougwg wrote:
Somewhere in all my research I missed the part about if you have a CPL the shirt tucked behind the IWB holster is fine. I could have easily OC'd at the Coffee Beanery meeting!

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Ethan_Frome wrote:
dougwg wrote:
Somewhere in all my research I missed the part about if you have a CPL the shirt tucked behind the IWB holster is fine. I could have easily OC'd at the Coffee Beanery meeting!
We had a member arrested for that. At this time we don't know of any case law supporting an IWB. So be careful.

DanM

imported post

Venator wrote:
Ethan_Frome wrote:
Somewhere in all my research I missed the part about if you have a CPL the shirt tucked behind the IWB holster is fine...
We had a member arrested for that. At this time we don't know of any case law supporting an IWB. So be careful.

Brian, wasn't the guy arrested because he wasopen carrying with an IWB holster and hedid NOT have a CPL? I think Ethan is talking about carrying in that manner WITH a CPL, right? And our expectation is this is unambiguously lawful, correct? If you have a CPL, you can carry in this manner because if it's considered concealed, you are covered by your license, and if it's considered open carry you are covered because OC is not illegal. Is that reasoning right?

Venator

imported post

DanM wrote:
Venator wrote:
Ethan_Frome wrote:
Somewhere in all my research I missed the part about if you have a CPL the shirt tucked behind the IWB holster is fine...

Brian, wasn't the guy arrested because he wasopen carrying with an IWB holster and hedid NOT have a CPL? I think Ethan is talking about carrying in that manner WITH a CPL, right? And our expectation is this is unambiguously lawful, correct? If you have a CPL, you can carry in this manner because if it's considered concealed, you are covered by your license, and if it's considered open carry you are covered because OC is not illegal. Is that reasoning right?
Yes of course I was referring to no CPL. With a CPL the gun can be anywhere on orin your body.:lol:

Michigander

imported post

AB wrote:
Is there specific code on how much gun has to be exposed?
No, and that is the problem. There is an AG opinion about holsters being not concealed, but obviously IWB holsters started off as being intended to conceal. Also, flap holsters hide most of the gun, to the point where you might think someone was carrying even if a flap holster was empty.

It's something that could use case law, but no one wants to be the test subject.

AB

imported post

When ever law is not defined by itself, you have to look at law definitions like ina dictionary attorneys use.

ie,Blacks Law Dictionary

"There is an AG opinion about holsters " Do you have this?

Haman J.T.

imported post

I OC in Warren and have OCed in Livonia. Recently I OCed at the Rock Financial Showplace.Had to unload my IWB 45acp at the door and they put a chicken strap through the barrel which allowed me to put said 45 back in IWB. Reloaded on my way out the door.No Problem in Livonia,Warren or anywhere I have OCed.As should always be anywhere in MI. Thank you Guy's! God Bless!

FatboyCykes

imported post

hamaneggs wrote:
I OC in Warren and have OCed in Livonia. Recently I OCed at the Rock Financial Showplace.Had to unload my IWB 45acp at the door and they put a chicken strap through the barrel which allowed me to put said 45 back in IWB. Reloaded on my way out the door.No Problem in Livonia,Warren or anywhere I have OCed.As should always be anywhere in MI. Thank you Guy's! God Bless!
I live near 9 and Ryan, need some local lunches! Tired of seeing those guys in Jackson having all the fun...

Venator

imported post

AB wrote:
When ever law is not defined by itself, you have to look at law definitions like ina dictionary attorneys use.

ie,Blacks Law Dictionary

"There is an AG opinion about holsters " Do you have this?

All your questions can be answered here: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/13328.html

We have the AG opinions cite in a few places, check out the download of the MOC Open carry brochure in the above link.