• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clark County Nevada

LadyMuse

imported post

I have recently seen advertising by this site on facebook stating that it is legal to open carry in nevada, however upon further investigation I have also seen that there are some restrictions on Clark County. I have tried to research the issue myself but I do not understand most of the terminology and lingo involved. My father raised me to be capable and competent with rifles and handguns, he taught me extensive safety but he never really took the time to explain the legalities to me. We kept them in the basement in a locked closet unless we went to the range to shoot them so open carry was never discussed in our household.

Can someone please take just a moment and explain the basics of open carry laws in Clark County Nevada to me? I'd like to purchase a ladies handgun and a holster, I'd prefer to open carry but would probably get a permit to conceal so that I don't have to worry about jackets and hoodies etc flopping over it on accident but I've got no idea as to what's legal and what's not and I don't want to be one of those irresponsible open carry people who goes somewhere like Wal-Mart if it's not permitted and makes the entire open carry community look bad because I didn't use my brain first.:banghead:

Much appreciated.

PikesPeakMtnMan

imported post

Check out the Nevada sub-forum. They should be able to answer all of your questions there. Laws and restrictions vary greatly from state to state so I won't attempt to try and help you and potentially give you bad information.

Welcome to OCDO, it's always good to see more ladies coming onboard!

TommyJ1912

imported post

LadyMuse,

Welcome to "The OC" community! :)

As far as Nevada goes, open carry is legal because there is no prohibition against it within state law and the state has preempted counties, cities, and towns from regulating the "transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing" of firearms and ammunition [see NRS 244.364, NRS 268.418, and NRS 269.222] - http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/Index.cfm

This preemption includes Clark County and any towns/cities (incorporated or unincorporated) within it. As long as your firearm is not concealed, you shouldn't have a problem.

Here's a good link to check out most of what you need to know regarding NV's firearms and other weapons laws: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/nevada.pdf

- Mike S.

LadyMuse

imported post

So I just took the other poster's suggestion and went to the nevada sub forum before I got notice of this response. This response is AWESOME though, thanks so much!!!

NightOwl

imported post

Only marginally on topic, but since you mentioned Wal-mart, thought I'd let ya know that they have a corporate policy to go with state law. If you have a problem (ie asked to leave, etc) you can contact corporate and they'll straighten out the local store that's not allowing you to. I don't have the number on hand, but it's floating around the forum on how to contact the corporate head of security and other pertinent people to resolve the issue. Obviously, you'd still have to leave at the time, but it would be taken care of for future visits after.

PS. Welcome to the forum.