• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Operation Fortress" Who's up for it??

MrSigmaDot40

imported post

Yea Yea, I haven't been around for a while, i've been waiting for the whole incorp thing (whatever happened with that?).

Anyway I came up with a ruff Idea for a civialin OP a while ago. How bout we make a real stand and show the people how its done?

I want to get a few people together and rent out an entire apartment complex in the worst neigboorhood in Oakland we can find. We offer to help clean it up, upgrade it, paint it, etc to help pay rent and to make living conditions up to standard.

Now, what we do is have the place be a flaming beacon of 2A. I'm talking UOC, OLL's, Etc, Etc.. We all take up on our training and develop special tactics and plans if any number of problems arise. (More Classified Tactics would involve less than lethal weapons so nobody can provoke a shooting easily )

I'm from Oakland that's all I'm willing to say but therecouldbe a liaison with the neighborhood though me, and Intel on the surrounding area. If I could find enough people and avacant enough complex I'd love to do this. I don't know how many of you work close enough or can make that type of change in life to do this but it is just a thought.

I would eventually like to occupy an entire city block (this is kind of a mini free state thing)but that is really pushing it. But for the apartment building I say put up a small fence, no trespassing signs, install inexpensive cameras, fly the American flag on the roof, couple NRA/Pro gun signs up to make it CLEAR that the building and its occupants aren't to be F*$%^ with.

I know its a long shot idea but damn it would sooooo work, the publicity would be great.

"Operation Fortress"
I'm thinking about posting up on CG also.

EDIT: Apt Examples:

This Is EXACTLY what i'm talking about right here!

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa/1103120300.html
$750 / 1br - Apartment ($1000.00 Moves You In) (oakland east) (map)
3n03pd3ocZZZZZZZZZ9415d03690a087c1378.jpg

If you painted this place up, gave it a nice almond/off white type color to bring it into the 21st century and so new garage doors, it would make a world of difference. Get some scrap granite for countertops, etc ,etc. I'm sure we could get some help and materials from the cast firearms community. somebody may be able to donate a little paint, service, other materials (carpet etc). If i could find some people that aren't the color of the middle light on traffic lights i'd love to do it. I know it would be a little hard finding a vacant ENOUGH place, but they are out there.

Clarification EDIT:

I want to clear this up....

I am not saying that we would be honorary Volunteer Deputy Fire Marshal Officer Picklestiens. I'm not saying we set up shop and then call the police any everything from jay walking to kids riding bicycles without helmets.

This Op would be to show an example of what the average citizen can do, and what they can do with the help of their neighbors.

While whatever hell breaks loose around the area people are going to start wonder why nothing happens to the apartment complex? Why don't their apts get broken into? why don't their cars get stolen? why aren't they scared?

That's what its all about. My vision would have it setup in a DEFENSIVE manor (hence "Operation FORTRESS"). We would not be trying to be super heroes, taking down drugs spots. but as I said before if a stand needed to be made against whoever, I'd be down. if they don't like that we moved in on the block, then we can handle it however they want to bring it.

The goal here is to be an example and to slowly get to know the natives and try to educate them about 2A gun control, what's going on in the area, etc etc. We might be able to through bar b q's or whatever and really get in good with the people in the area.

That's the type of stuff I'm talking about, all the tactics and show of force is strictly for defense. We mind are business and fortify the complex that's it.

demnogis

imported post

Start by renting the apartments themselves... Then move up to leasing the whole building.

If I lived in NorCal, I would consider the idea. Especially since the monthly rate could be less if the whole lot was being leased...

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

This is the funniest/coolest idea ever. The residents would have to travel in firing teams to get to the store and back. The cops would have to respond to a shooting there every week. But MAN OH MAN would the lowlifes hate it. I wonder if police departments give police officers a bonus if they reside in the city they patrol. It would certainly be beneficial to do so.

Somehow I don't think I could convince my fiancee to move to east Oakland though, so I'll have to declare myself out.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

I like the concept, but I am a little bit of a wet blanket on the scope and the 'island' strategy.

Operation Overlord

Im a particular fan of staging incremental advances-- in the fashion the D-Day invasion of Europe. The allied forces did not select a single point at which they would land all of their troops. Several locations along the French coast were attacked at the same time, keeping the Germans guessing as to where the bulk of our forces would establish a beachhead. In advance of the invasion, intel was collected and interpreted, troops and equipment were staged in Britain, and the French resistance played a part by disrupting rail transportation, communications and other sabotage.

I propose this strategy-

Form Alliances- You stand much more to gain if you have allies that have similar goals. The Free State Project focuses primarily on those willing to move across the nation to populate their island of liberty. While it stacks the deck in favor of libertarians politically, I believe we need 'Free State' communities nationwide. There are many people who subscribe to this ideology who cannot afford to move that far or do not wish to abandon the state of their birth.

Collect your intel- I think you have already looked into this, and being a part of the community certainly gives you the ins and outs of who and where the bad guys are.

Stage your troops and equipment- If you have allies that are willing to make this commitment, they are going to have to prepare to change their lifestyles pretty radically. This means having the attitude and the hardware required to invade an entrenched enemies stronghold. The opposition has had alot of time to build their presense and harden the obvious approaches, you are not going to get behind the lines with some C-Rations, a Swiss army knife and courage. The troops and their equipment should be placed strategically- enabling redundancies, substitutions, fall back plans, and overlapping fields of fire.

Keep your intentions ambiguous- Subterfuge, distraction, confusion- keep your assaults indirect. In other words 'Fortress? What fortress? There isnt an alliance of pro gun armed libertarians here. Just regular people.'

Elist the local resistance- There are many good people stuck behind enemy lines, who for lack of any other option, languish in their crime ridden neighborhoods. It would be important to work with local police, but perhaps there is a neighborhood watch, maybe there are crusty old veterans ala Kowalski from 'Grand Torino', or families willing to make a stand. Establishing a network with them is key in sabotaging criminals in hardened neighborhoods.

Establish your beachheads- Once you have the allies, the equipment, the resistancenetwork and the enemy confused, you would make your landing- in much the way you are indicating. An apartment complex, townhomes, duplexes, owned or leased by liberty-minded people collectively looking out for their neighbors and clean out the community.

Just my take on it.

MrSigmaDot40

imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
This is the funniest/coolest idea ever. The residents would have to travel in firing teams to get to the store and back. The cops would have to respond to a shooting there every week. But MAN OH MAN would the lowlifes hate it. I wonder if police departments give police officers a bonus if they reside in the city they patrol. It would certainly be beneficial to do so.

Somehow I don't think I could convince my fiancee to move to east Oakland though, so I'll have to declare myself out.

10min drive and your in downtown San Leandro and can shop for whatever with no problem. San Leandro and Oakland are 2 different worlds as soon as u cross the city line.

I would def recommend single people only, but some may have wives that want in also. Plus it looks better if there are some families that can manage to live in peace there. Whoever can swing it do it.

MrSigmaDot40

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
I like the concept, but I am a little bit of a wet blanket on the scope and the 'island' strategy.

Operation Overlord

Im a particular fan of staging incremental advances-- in the fashion the D-Day invasion of Europe. The allied forces did not select a single point at which they would land all of their troops. Several locations along the French coast were attacked at the same time, keeping the Germans guessing as to where the bulk of our forces would establish a beachhead. In advance of the invasion, intel was collected and interpreted, troops and equipment were staged in Britain, and the French resistance played a part by disrupting rail transportation, communications and other sabotage.

I propose this strategy-

Form Alliances- You stand much more to gain if you have allies that have similar goals. The Free State Project focuses primarily on those willing to move across the nation to populate their island of liberty. While it stacks the deck in favor of libertarians politically, I believe we need 'Free State' communities nationwide. There are many people who subscribe to this ideology who cannot afford to move that far or do not wish to abandon the state of their birth.

Collect your intel- I think you have already looked into this, and being a part of the community certainly gives you the ins and outs of who and where the bad guys are.

Stage your troops and equipment- If you have allies that are willing to make this commitment, they are going to have to prepare to change their lifestyles pretty radically. This means having the attitude and the hardware required to invade an entrenched enemies stronghold. The opposition has had alot of time to build their presense and harden the obvious approaches, you are not going to get behind the lines with some C-Rations, a Swiss army knife and courage. The troops and their equipment should be placed strategically- enabling redundancies, substitutions, fall back plans, and overlapping fields of fire.

Keep your intentions ambiguous- Subterfuge, distraction, confusion- keep your assaults indirect. In other words 'Fortress? What fortress? There isnt an alliance of pro gun armed libertarians here. Just regular people.'

Elist the local resistance- There are many good people stuck behind enemy lines, who for lack of any other option, languish in their crime ridden neighborhoods. It would be important to work with local police, but perhaps there is a neighborhood watch, maybe there are crusty old veterans ala Kowalski from 'Grand Torino', or families willing to make a stand. Establishing a network with them is key in sabotaging criminals in hardened neighborhoods.

Establish your beachheads- Once you have the allies, the equipment, the resistancenetwork and the enemy confused, you would make your landing- in much the way you are indicating. An apartment complex, townhomes, duplexes, owned or leased by liberty-minded people collectively looking out for their neighbors and clean out the community.

Just my take on it.

Lots of good points/ideas here, but as my new edit above states.... I'm only talking about DEFENSE and being an example to the people around that you don't have to live in fear and to embrace the 2A. That keeps us out of a lot of trouble. The area will begin to hange slowly by itself. we just talk with people, help educate them but mind our biz.

Oh also you touched on a lot of things i have thought about. I have lot of ideas just didn't want to throw them all on the table at once.

As of now the main ones i've put out (on CG) would be:

-2 way Coms for everybody.

-Rotating Cover Watch. Forany of us you come and go. This would be like say Monday is my day to give cover. I would have the radioclose byand if somebody is coming home (or leaving)they radio in down the street, I come out UOC or OLL on the Balcony or in another cover area and watch over them until they are insidetheir unit (mostly thinking of night time).

-Central Alarm System. Something simple that people could trigger if they had a break in to alert everybody else. It would have to tell you what unit the alarm was tripped in. That way somebody could call 911AND take up positions to stop the criminal as the leave or if they hear a fight for life is going on they can try to make entry.