• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting at Radford University

nova

imported post

just heard it from a few of my friends there. nice. :?

dish

imported post

I attend radford as a student and it has been pretty big event. It was only 1 victim but it is locking down this place. I suppose radford doesnt want to another VT to happen since thats right down the road. They are sweeping all of campus where the shooter ran. It is pretty wild how they have command posts and all this set up really fast. Its a man hunt. I have a HK p30 and my landlord/roommate/buddy has more than enough guns and we have been on the look out. I am not far from where the shooting and where the suspect ran so you never know. I hope they find him somewhere hiding soon so thing can get back to normal. I'm glad in these situations I am armed and feel bad for the people who are in fear.

dish

imported post

They have no released any info on the victim however my buddy heard 8 shots or so. I hope all 8 didnt hit their mark. This area with VT having the huge massacre then a recent decapitation and now radford which is 10 miles down the road is having this. I hope he is caught soon though.

Neplusultra

imported post

I was only half thinking about strolling through the Tech campus this coming week with my "Guns Save Lives" t-shirt while OCing. Maybe now I really will take a half day off and do so.... the problem is I don't have a reason to be there except the library perhaps. I met someone two weekends ago on campus that works in Norris hall. That's got to be strange to some degree.

Neplusultra

imported post

Let us know if you hear what the shooting was about. Drug deal gone bad or innocent victim of robbery or some such...

There was a robbery right next door to my shop just last weekend right here in Pearisburg of all places! Hate to say it was right under my nose too :X

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

It looks like the fellow was killed. The shooting wasn't on campus, they just thought the shooter ran that direction. I guess things have changed there in the last 40 years. We used to wander around that area all night and never even thought of having problems....unless it was from someone from Tech, after our women:uhoh:

Neplusultra

imported post

peter nap wrote:
It looks like the fellow was killed. The shooting wasn't on campus, they just thought the shooter ran that direction. I guess things have changed there in the last 40 years. We used to wander around that area all night and never even thought of having problems....unless it was from someone from Tech, after our women:uhoh:
Pete, didn't know you had a sex change. Forty years ago Radford was an all girls school wasn't it :^).

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Pete, didn't know you had a sex change. Forty years ago Radford was an all girls school wasn't it :^).
They were allowing men in in the late 60's and were fully coed around 72. The first year I was there, there were 3000 women and 500 men:p

some verb

imported post

I was actually on campus when this happened in an EMT class. We heard the call for the gunshot wound, then a bit later the people that actually go there started getting the alerts.

They of course advised staying where you were and shutting doors etc, so most of us promptly left and went to our cars. We passed a building with giant windows and saw a bunch of people standing around looking out at is, and somebody opened the door and said we needed to come inside.

no thanks.

mercutio545

imported post

peter nap wrote:
They were allowing men in in the late 60's and were fully coed around 72. The first year I was there, there were 3000 women and 500 men:p
Man, I like the sound of that ratio! :D

TFred

imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
peter nap wrote:
It's not as good as it sounds... Speaking in vast generalities, women who attend mostly women colleges are usually not looking to date on campus.

I'd guess most of those 3000 girls had boyfriends at Tech, VMI, UVa, or back home.

TFred

dish

imported post

haha there is still a 60%+ to 40% ratio of guys to women here these days with about 10000 students. Anyways I hit the range today with a buddy who was near where the shooting occurred. This incident has just made you realize how even a small college town can have these things happen which reinforces the idea of personal protection with a firearm. I hope they catch this guy.

ps: I bet all you old timers who used to attend radford would not recognize it. I has changed alot just in the 5 years I have been here. In 5 more years it will be even more new buildings. The campus is expanding more and more its really wild.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

TFred wrote:
mercutio545 wrote:
peter nap wrote:
It's not as good as it sounds... Speaking in vast generalities, women who attend mostly women colleges are usually not looking to date on campus.

I'd guess most of those 3000 girls had boyfriends at Tech, VMI, UVa, or back home.

TFred
It was almost as good as it sounds Fred.:lol:

There was one dorm (forgot the name but it was right behind Norwood) where the Seniors, who were the only unsocial group, lived. Other than that, life was good!

Muse was self contained and you didn't see many of the girls there (It went CoEd later)

Other than those two, it was open season!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

dish wrote
ps: I bet all you old timers who used to attend radford would not recognize it. I has changed alot just in the 5 years I have been here. In 5 more years it will be even more new buildings. The campus is expanding more and more its really wild.
I have only been back a couple of times Dish. I guess the last time was around 80. It had changed then and I didn't like the changes. When I was there it was very much like Animal House....and I loved it:shock:

I don't want to see it as a modern University. To quote an old saying "[font="georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif"]You can never go home again, but the truth is you can never leave home, so it's all right. "

We all have our sweet spots in life, and like to remember them the way they were.:)

I do have a question though....Is Deli Mart still behind the campus. They used to sell Country Club Beer, for 1.29 a 6 pack or 4.00 a case. We gave him a lot of business;)

[/font]

dish

imported post

Central deli mart? on lightside fairfax? yea thats still off campus but the deli mart on darkside on jefferson is like border of campus.. adams st is no longer a street.. jefferson and tyler are the two main streets that border the campus making it what it is today. Its pretty wild how many new buildings are in the works.. and they finally tore down JD's and joes diner.

Neplusultra

imported post

peter nap wrote:
[font="georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif"]I do have a question though....Is Deli Mart still behind the campus. They used to sell Country Club Beer, for 1.29 a 6 pack or 4.00 a case. We gave him a lot of business;)

[/font]
DooD, you should have shopped in Bburg. Blatz beer was only $1.09 a six. Headache in a bottle is what I called it. Peter, where you there when the "Depot" was there?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
peter nap wrote:
[font="georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif"]I do have a question though....Is Deli Mart still behind the campus. They used to sell Country Club Beer, for 1.29 a 6 pack or 4.00 a case. We gave him a lot of business;)

[/font]
DooD, you should have shopped in Bburg. Blatz beer was only $1.09 a six. Headache in a bottle is what I called it. Peter, where you there when the "Depot" was there?

If it was there I missed it. There was very little in Radford in those days.