Thread: Springfield XD question

Post imported post

So I have a couple of questions about the Springfield XD that I own. If there is a loaded round in the chamber and say I was to drop the gun, would it still discharge? or are the chances of that happening slim due to the grip safety?

Post imported post

Pretty much all of the new guns, and a lot of the old guns are built so that they won't go off if they are dropped. I'm sure you'll be fine. But don't drop it, cuz you could ding that precious XD!

Post imported post

The XD pistols have an internal striker block that does not allow the striker in the forward position unless the trigger is pulled. This safety has nothing to do with the grip safety.

The grip safety wont allow the slide to move backwards, or the trigger to be pulled if it isnt depressed.

Post imported post

The grip safety is one of the contributing features for my buying the XD. I developed a very good habit of placing my thumb over the hammer of my pistols when holstering. If by some odd chance the trigger does get pressed I can easily hold the hammer for single action or feel it move for double action. The Block I carry at work doesn't have a hammer and all that would result from a trigger pull while holstering is a missing thumb with a ND. With the XD, my thumb over the back removes my hand from the grip safety which prevents the trigger from being pulled.

Post imported post

I would worry more about dinging the surface you drop it on! These things are made out of recycled soviet tanks!

The XD has passed a barrage of drop tests with no problems.

Post imported post

Thanks everyone that is really helpful & good to hear. I'll be careful. I'll make surenot to damage the nice looking XD or the surface that it could drop on!! LOL:celebrate

Post imported post

If you have anymore XD questions check us out at http://www.xdtalk.com
    Charles A. Hall, self-proclaimed Lone Eagle || Carry: Kahr CW40
    Lone Eagle Observer (http://www.charlesahall.us)
    Facebook Page || http://twitter.com/CharlesAHall

Post imported post

Yup. The "Ultra Safety Assurance", or USA system that the XD uses is very effective. When I got my XD a few years ago, I was nervous to carry it with the striker back and a round in the chamber at first because there was no "manual" safety, but over time, you begin to trust it more. I have been dragging mine all over the place for quite awhile now with no problems. I love my XD! I mean... you can't tell by my handle or anything, right? hehehehe

Kevin
    If it isn't broke, then don't fix it, or you'll fix it until it's broke.