• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Springfield XD question

bmeldrum

imported post

So I have a couple of questions about the Springfield XD that I own. If there is a loaded round in the chamber and say I was to drop the gun, would it still discharge? or are the chances of that happening slim due to the grip safety?

mqondo

imported post

Pretty much all of the new guns, and a lot of the old guns are built so that they won't go off if they are dropped. I'm sure you'll be fine. But don't drop it, cuz you could ding that precious XD! :D

thx997303

imported post

The XD pistols have an internal striker block that does not allow the striker in the forward position unless the trigger is pulled. This safety has nothing to do with the grip safety.

The grip safety wont allow the slide to move backwards, or the trigger to be pulled if it isnt depressed.

Francis Marion

imported post

The grip safety is one of the contributing features for my buying the XD. I developed a very good habit of placing my thumb over the hammer of my pistols when holstering. If by some odd chance the trigger does get pressed I can easily hold the hammer for single action or feel it move for double action. The Block I carry at work doesn't have a hammer and all that would result from a trigger pull while holstering is a missing thumb with a ND. With the XD, my thumb over the back removes my hand from the grip safety which prevents the trigger from being pulled.

ScottyT

imported post

I would worry more about dinging the surface you drop it on! These things are made out of recycled soviet tanks!

The XD has passed a barrage of drop tests with no problems.

bmeldrum

imported post

Thanks everyone that is really helpful & good to hear. I'll be careful. I'll make surenot to damage the nice looking XD or the surface that it could drop on!! LOL:celebrate

LovesHisXD45

imported post

Yup. The "Ultra Safety Assurance", or USA system that the XD uses is very effective. When I got my XD a few years ago, I was nervous to carry it with the striker back and a round in the chamber at first because there was no "manual" safety, but over time, you begin to trust it more. I have been dragging mine all over the place for quite awhile now with no problems. I love my XD! I mean... you can't tell by my handle or anything, right? :) hehehehe

Kevin