• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Anyone Try Cleaning Guns with Simple Green

carhark

Opt-Out Members
Kitsap & Whatcom Counties, Washington, USA
imported post

I just heard you can clean guns with simple green. Just spray 'em down with it, then with water, and you're done. I'd imagine afterwords you'd want to lubricate as well. I'm a bit skeptical myself; it sounds too easy to be true.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

simple green is a nice cleaner that will clean just bout anything. It's supposed to be all natural, no harsh chemicals, and easily remove/dissolve organic particles.

I use it everywhere on my car/in house, it's never damaged anything (including paint/plastic) and cleans very well.

As far as using it as a gun cleaner, I don't, but I don't see why not.

Just get an AK, spray some brake cleaner on it, then put it in the dishwasher. Make sure to give it a good coat in oil when you pull it out.. ;)

aktion

imported post

As the saying goes; if it's too good to be true, then it probably is.

As a cleaner/degreaser, it sure is useful. I haven't had any problems yet. However, it isn't going to do much to remove copper or lead fouling in the barrel, so there is that. And of course, lubricating and/or oiling necessary parts and components is still advisable where applicable. And make sure no water remains in any crevices, or rust is sure to pay a visit. I like to use cans of compressed air, taking care not to hose the weapon down with propellant.

Not a one stop gun maintenance product.

JSK333

imported post

I've used it, it works well for some parts.

A good all-in-one cleaner/lube is Sea Foam Deep Creep. You can find it at AutoZone or NAPA. They also make a great liquid carbon cleaner for fuel tanks/intakes/crankcases.

IanB

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Just get an AK, spray some brake cleaner on it, then put it in the dishwasher.
I hope you're joking. The last thing you should be putting in the dishwasher is a product that has lead on it. Have you gotten your blood lead level tested lately?

sirpuma

imported post

Yes, Simple Green is AWESOME for cleaning guns. It's biodegradable, inexpensive, safe on your hands and will clean ANYTHING off your guns (except the bluing).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr7pBBBXLis&feature=channel_page

My gunsmithing instructor uses it exclusively and has for years. He's got over 35 years of experience in the business and says it's the best method for cleaning.

Richard6218

imported post

Great timing on this subject!!! It so happens I have a DVD from AGI (American Gunsmiths Inc.) that's a technical manual and armorer's course for Glock pistols. The instructor completely disassembles a G22 and uses Simple Green to clean it. He rinses with fresh water and when the parts are dry uses BreakFree to lube it. Simple (pardon the pun) as that.

I have used Simple Green around boats for many years because it is environmentally friendly and gets the job done. And lest anyone charge me with being an environmentalist wacko, let me just say that around boats, if you let as much as a thimbleful of oil get on the water you can have the Coast Guard all over you in no time. And those guys play for keeps.

amlevin

imported post

For those that may be a little beind the times, Hoppe's has been selling a product very similar to "Simple Green" for a while now:

http://www.hoppes.com/products/elite_gun_cleaner.html

It may not be green in color or have the same "minty" smell but it pretty much the same type of degreaser.

Use of either the Hoppe's or Simple Green will removee the oil, dirt, carbon that causes most of the fouling in pistols. For copper fouling a good brushing ath the same time you use the above cleaners will keep most of it out. Since I started using the Hoppe's product I hav not noticed any copper or lead fouling in any of my pistols. My AR's don't seem to get much fouling either but I use a copper removing foam every couple of months for good measure.

The neat part of the new cleaner is that my wife doesn't gripe as much because of the smell. Makes it more comfortable to clean my guns during the winter. I can do it inside rather than in the cold garage:D

Richard6218

imported post

amlevin wrote:
For those that may be a little beind the times, Hoppe's has been selling a product very similar to "Simple Green" for a while now:

http://www.hoppes.com/products/elite_gun_cleaner.html

It may not be green in color or have the same "minty" smell but it pretty much the same type of degreaser.

Use of either the Hoppe's or Simple Green will removee the oil, dirt, carbon that causes most of the fouling in pistols. For copper fouling a good brushing ath the same time you use the above cleaners will keep most of it out. Since I started using the Hoppe's product I hav not noticed any copper or lead fouling in any of my pistols. My AR's don't seem to get much fouling either but I use a copper removing foam every couple of months for good measure.

The neat part of the new cleaner is that my wife doesn't gripe as much because of the smell. Makes it more comfortable to clean my guns during the winter. I can do it inside rather than in the cold garage:D
I thought I'd try Hoppe's Blast and Clean and I have to say I was a bit disappointed with it. Hoppe's claims all you do is spray it on and the gun is then sparkling clean. Not so. This stuff is extremely volatile and toxic. There are warnings on the label about open flames. When you spray it on, yes it does dissolve the crud but it leaves a film on the surfaces that then have to be wiped down. I think the Simple Green and BreakFree route is a lot better. FWIW

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Richard6218 wrote:
This stuff is extremely volatile and toxic
http://www.hoppes.com/msds/CD1_MSDS.pdf

moz-screenshot-1.jpg
Section 3, OSHA Hazard Classifications, Health Hazard Classification, TOXIC is un-checked while irritant is checked.

The ingredients are acetone, heptane, methyl ethyl ketone, ethyl acetate and carbon dioxide.

Richard6218

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Richard6218 wrote:

moz-screenshot-1.jpg
Section 3, OSHA Hazard Classifications, Health Hazard Classification, TOXIC is un-checked while irritant is checked.

The ingredients are acetone, heptane, methyl ethyl ketone, ethyl acetate and carbon dioxide.
CARBON DIOXIDE :question::what: BAN IT!! THAT IS THE MOST DANGEROUS GAS OF ALL. HOW DARE THEY PUT THAT IN THEIR PRODUCT? THEY SHOULD BE PROSECUTED FOR PROMOTING USE OF SUCH A HAZARDOUS SUBSTANCE! ;);)

amlevin

imported post

Richard6218 wrote:
I thought I'd try Hoppe's Blast and Clean and I have to say I was a bit disappointed with it. Hoppe's claims all you do is spray it on and the gun is then sparkling clean. Not so. This stuff is extremely volatile and toxic. There are warnings on the label about open flames. When you spray it on, yes it does dissolve the crud but it leaves a film on the surfaces that then have to be wiped down. I think the Simple Green and BreakFree route is a lot better. FWIW

Thisproduct is the same as "Gun Scrubber" and others that work just like "Brake Clean". Stinky and toxic when inhaled. Great for removing grease and oil but don't finish the job (due to the remaining film).

The Hoppe's product I referred to is not the same.

amlevin

imported post

Richard6218 wrote:

Thisproduct is the same as "Gun Scrubber" and others that work just like "Brake Clean". Stinky and toxic when inhaled. Great for removing grease and oil but don't finish the job (due to the remaining film).

Richard6218

imported post

amlevin wrote:
Richard6218 wrote:

I know that -- I was just digressing to shed some light on another product

Richard6218

imported post

Progress report:

I completely stripped my Glock 21C and put all the parts in a foil pan. Sprayed everything liberally with Simple Green and let them soak for about an hour. Rinsed all in HOT water, drained and put in a 200 degree oven for about 20 minutes. Voila: clean as a whistle :) Next step will be a good coating of Break Free, put it back together and I'm back in business. Good stuff --- it's not just for boats anymore.

PS: I'm following the procedure in the DVD shown by the instructor (see my post of a couple days ago, above). Except that I substituted the oven thing for compressed air, which I don't have access to.

sirpuma

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Richard6218 wrote:

moz-screenshot-1.jpg

These three chemicals are known carcinogens and go straight to your liver and kidneys. I used to work with them in the Air Force, all three are strong solvents. They ARE volatile and very toxic.

sirpuma

imported post

Richard6218 wrote:
Progress report:

I completely stripped my Glock 21C and put all the parts in a foil pan. Sprayed everything liberally with Simple Green and let them soak for about an hour. Rinsed all in HOT water, drained and put in a 200 degree oven for about 20 minutes. Voila: clean as a whistle :) Next step will be a good coating of Break Free, put it back together and I'm back in business. Good stuff --- it's not just for boats anymore.

PS: I'm following the procedure in the DVD shown by the instructor (see my post of a couple days ago, above). Except that I substituted the oven thing for compressed air, which I don't have access to.
Yeah, my gunsmith instructor recommended a hair dryer if you didn't have access to an air compressor. LOL.

amlevin

imported post

sirpuma wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
Richard6218 wrote:

moz-screenshot-1.jpg

These three chemicals are known carcinogens and go straight to your liver and kidneys. I used to work with them in the Air Force, all three are strong solvents. They ARE volatile and very toxic.

My liver and Kidneys have already been severely tested by the drinking I used to do:shock: Maybe I should have just used the stuff I drank to clean my guns and stuck to drinking milk.:cry:

As for the cleaners being toxic, what isn't today. Has anyone ever noticed the list of "side effects" for all the drugs they advertise today. The drug may cure the disease/illness but you have to put up with extreme headache, diarrhea, sudden weakness, blindness, impotence, kidney damage, liver damage, and even the big one---death. Makes one want to just put up with what ailes you rather than risk the side effects.

In closing, if you are cleaning your gun using one of the "deadly solvents" just hold your breath and work quick:cool:

Richard6218

imported post

amlevin wrote:
sirpuma wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
Richard6218 wrote:

moz-screenshot-1.jpg

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f8"
<snip>
In closing, if you are cleaning your gun using one of the "deadly solvents" just hold your breath and work quick:cool:
OR --- just go back to Plan 1: Simple Green