• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting from out of state

aktion

imported post

I'll be visiting Hawaii from Washington state soon, and I'm wondering what my options for arming myself are. Thus far it appears I'd have to carry it around unloaded in a locked case. And I'll have to check whether I can bring my own ammo, or must I purchase it locally.

And register within 72 hours? Hmm. Not happy about that at all. I'll do some more research. I reckon if I'm told I'm scaring the tourists, I'll just tell 'em I AM a tourist. Ha!

sudden valley gunner

imported post

You cannot openly display your weapon while there. I don't think you can transport your ammo either. There are some good gun shops to buy ammo from. And the Koko head shooting range is pretty good , open to public and free. Only 5 rounds can be loaded at a time. There also is an indoor shooting range in Waikiki on Kalakaua, I haven't been there yet but its private and looks like lots of fun. I will probably go there next time I am there. I go to Hawaii, quite a bit when I can. Used to live there and still have family there.

samaloney2006

imported post

:cuss:First off let me suggest if you ae only visiting do not bring any firearms or ammuntion with you. You cannot get a CCW permit, out of state permits are not recognized and you cannot open carry (forget it). If you want to shoot while you are here I agree with sudden valley gunner on his spots. Koko head I do not like , although it is free. You are limited to 25 or 50 yards, that's it. The indoor range that I use is the one sudden valley gunner mentioned you can move the target anywhere you like. If no one else is there I was told I can go on the other side of the shooting booths and do my training. The targets areon an electric cable.It is the Waikiki Gun Shop, location , go east on Kalakaua from downtown and turn left on Lewers, about 50 or so feet turn left into the alley. It is 3/4 of the way down the alley on the left. On the right (in the lot) are 4 designated parking spots (free). As an aside both indoor ranges that I know of rent guns and you must buy your ammo from them. Not exactly inexpensive but that's Hawaii. If you do come to Hawaii please contact me and I will showyou around and we can go shooting. I only keep one 1911 here (we can share) because of registration, I won't bring anymore here or buy here.If either of you guys come out E-mail me at nwms.jim@hawaiiantel.net :cool:

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I haven't been back home as much as I would like due to work. All though I almost found some work in Hawaii. I don't mind registering two of my pistols I have so I might bring them when I come so that my brother in law can shoot with me. I would love to hook up with you and go to the Waikiki indoor range haven't been there yet but it looks decent on their website. Next time I make it over I will let you know.