• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun community

TechnoWeenie

imported post

With all the talk about militias and whatnot, I was analyzing the pros/cons of such organizations, which got me to thinking...

One of the great things about the militia is the ability to put aside differences to forward one case (even though that cause might be #%(&# up).

Has anyone ever thought about making/joining a commune/gun community?

Picture a bunch of guys putting together a bunch of money, buying a few hundred acres, having their own houses/lots, and having community shooting ranges, parks, gardens, solar power, etc.

Still having their 9-5 or whatever, still living their own life, but living in an environment that would further their goals in life (self sustaining, preparedness,etc).

I'm not talking about a paramilitary militia organization, I'm talking about a bunch of gun guys that can pool their resources that could create something amazing...

Despite our race/religion/personal beliefs, we all have pretty much the same ideals, although slightly different. I think building a community around such strong ideals would be an excellent idea.

partyncwby

imported post

I don't see why not, except for the county trying to stop the community from having a shooting range. The concept you speak of, neighbors with common interests is not a new one. Every so often I've run across "horse" communities. Everyone has a few acres with room for a barn and access to riding trails and a community riding arena.

Gene Beasley

imported post

Kind of reminds me of Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh. Jeez, I hope that doesn't thoroughly date me. At any rate, buy up all the land, incorporate and run your city as you see fit. Too bad none of us is independently wealthy.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

solar/wind power, federal law requires electric companies to 'buy back' power from those that produce it, it actually would make a lot of sense...

ChuckUFarley

imported post

Here is a case where a whole town did it, I don’t know if all the men carried butthey were required to own, and of course the crime dropped.

Gun Ownership Mandatory In Kennesaw, Georgia Crime Rate Plummets

http://www.tysknews.com/Depts/2nd_Amend/crime_rate_plummets.htm

Type of Content:

Article
The New American magazine reminds us that March 25th marked the 16th anniversary of Kennesaw, Georgia's ordinance requiring heads of households (with certain exceptions) to keep at least one firearm in their homes.

The city's population grew from around 5,000 in 1980 to 13,000 by 1996 (latest available estimate). Yet there have been only three murders: two with knives (1984 and 1987) and one with a firearm (1997). After the law went into effect in 1982, crime against persons plummeted 74 percent compared to 1981, and fell another 45 percent in 1983 compared to 1982.

And it has stayed impressively low. In addition to nearly non-existent homicide (murders have averaged a mere 0.19 per year), the annual number of armed robberies, residential burglaries, commercial burglaries, and rapes have averaged, respectively, 1.69, 31.63, 19.75, and 2.00 through 1998.

With all the attention that has been heaped upon the lawful possession of firearms lately, you would think that a city that requires gun ownership would be the center of a media feeding frenzy. It isn't. The fact is I can't remember a major media outlet even mentioning Kennesaw. Can you?

The reason is obvious. Kennesaw proves that the presence of firearms actually improves safety and security. This is not the message that the media want us to hear. They want us to believe that guns are evil and are the cause of violence.

The facts tell a different story. What is even more interesting about Kennesaw is that the city's crime rate decreased with the simple knowledge that the entire community was armed. The bad guys didn't force the residents to prove it. Just knowing that residents were armed prompted them to move on to easier targets. Most criminals don't have a death wish.

There have been two occasions in my own family when the presence of a handgun averted potential disaster. In both instances the gun was never aimed at a person and no shot was fired.

Icouldnt find the one i was looking for i think it was in Texas or Arizona another small town i think made it maditory to carry, if i remember right, same thing crime dropped, people are friendly again. (but i suppose you would be friendly with all the guns awalking about)

FMCDH

imported post

ChuckUFarley wrote:
Icouldnt find the one i was looking for i think it was in Texas or Arizona another small town i think made it maditory to carry, if i remember right, same thing crime dropped, people are friendly again. (but i suppose you would be friendly with all the guns awalking about)
"An armed society is a polite society."

Its proven over and over again that when BGs know their is a significant risk that the people they are planning on victimizing are armed, they simply go elsewhere......like... to "gun free zones".

Anyone ever hear of a mass shooting or a shooting of any kind taking place at a gun range? So many guns being present and handled, yet no incidents? No criminals pick those places to ply their trade? Amazing! ;)

Criminals, by and large, are cowards. Pure, simple, truth. :)

sudden valley gunner

imported post

FMCDH wrote:
ChuckUFarley wrote:

Anyone ever hear of a mass shooting or a shooting of any kind taking place at a gun range? So many guns being present and handled, yet no incidents? No criminals pick those places to ply their trade? Amazing! ;)

Here in Whatcom county a few months ago. I had to laugh at the irony of it though.

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/477/story/759890.html

FMCDH

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Here in Whatcom county a few months ago. I had to laugh at the irony of it though.
Not sure an ND that only had the handler as the victim, or a suicide counts as a crime. In a way, it could be said that he did everything he could to make sure no one else go hurt by his decision to end his own life. Shooting himself in a re-enforced room where the bullet couldn't go through a wall to kill someone else....think about it.

Your right tho, it is ironic. :?

Would be interesting to know if he shot for a while before the "incident" happened, or if he stepped directly into the cubical and shot himself.

Not finding much information on this incident outside of the one article.

grishnav

imported post

Liberty communes... Hmm... I actually like that idea! A small city, created not by force of government but by mutual contracts voluntarily entered into between consenting adults. Could be something amazing.

Actually, I think Phssphtok is working on something similar for himself right now, but I don't know how much of his plans he wants divulged, so I won't say any more. You can ask him if you're curious.

Johnny Law

imported post

grishnav wrote:
Liberty communes... Hmm... I actually like that idea! A small city, created not by force of government but by mutual contracts voluntarily entered into between consenting adults. Could be something amazing.
Ahhhhhhhh...........the never ending quest for a utopian society. If you can't change the world at least you can have your own little happy sanctuary, safe from all the evils of the big world..........for a while. If it weren't for the gun part it sounds like what several groups of liberal hippies have tried (unsuccessfully)to do in various locations (rajneeshpuram, Jonestown).

Mix in a little religion and you've got yourself a CULT, at least as far as the "outside" world is concerned. Next thing you know "they" willlabel it "New Waco", and you'll be blessed with the prying eye of BIG BROTHER! Then the old issue of "we take care of our own" and don't need or wantthe Government or Law Enforcement here, creeps up. Then comes the day when something horrible happens in paradise, and it all comes tumbling down.

Sound familiar? It's happened many times before to other well meaning groups who "just wanted to be left alone" to dwell in the true happiness of their beliefs.

It is a nice dream though.............a pipe dream.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

If set up right, we wouldn't, with the exception of acute care, Ie. hospital.

Hef

imported post

We have a golf communities, so why not a gun community? I live in a gated community. I'd LOVE to have a community rifle range instead of a golf course.

FMCDH

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
I love it....an 18 hole rifle range:celebrate:celebrate
You can practice your driving while I practice my "skeet" shooting! ;)

O! Did you want to use that ball again??