• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCDO meetup at the Tea Party in Richmond.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Icetera wrote:

I may have to pick up a radio. Can never hurt to be prepared.

I don't know how much we will need them, but it's not a bad idea for a contigency plan if someone is lost or being harrassed.

It will be a talkabout channel (like a motorola, midland, etc.). Work crews in and around the city use channels 1-7 and have probably bought a license to do so. We will have to use an FRS channel. We do not want to be caught outside the Federal Reserve hijacking a channel that requires a license, or using too much power that makes using the channel illegal without a license.

It's not like in the woods hunting. The FCC rules will apply to us in the city.

I have an idea of what channel to use if you all areinterested.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

T Dubya wrote:
Icetera wrote:
I don't know how much we will need them, but it's not a bad idea for a contigency plan if someone is lost or being harrassed.

It will be a talkabout channel (like a motorola, midland, etc.). Work crews in and around the city use channels 1-7 and have probably bought a license to do so. We will have to use an FRS channel. We do not want to be caught outside the Federal Reserve hijacking a channel that requires a license, or using too much power that makes using the channel illegal without a license.

Bargain Outfitters has some good prices on FRS radios and can deliver before the 18th.
Use Code BF425 and take another $5.00 off.
http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/search/search.asp?r=MainHeader+KW+Box&a=browse&k=radio+-+portable

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
T Dubya wrote:
Icetera wrote:

Bargain Outfitters has some good prices on FRS radios and can deliver before the 18th.
Use Code BF425 and take another $5.00 off.
http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/search/search.asp?r=MainHeader+KW+Box&a=browse&k=radio+-+portable

Yata hey
Thanks Grapeshot! That should be a good savings.

FRS channels are 1-14 and GMRS starts with 15. GMRS requires a license although no one gets one. FRS does not require one.

Each channel has subcarriers so we should chose between channels 1 to 14 and then a privacy sub carrier....something like 14-8.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Correction: The link to the radios I mentioned are for GMRS units not FRS. :D

Yate hey

ClumsyCandy

imported post

My Traveling Companion and I will be there (if all goes well). We will be Open Carrying!

Anyone have any suggestions on Handicapped Parking close by? If I have to walk far not sure I'll make it. PM me with suggestions please so we don't hijack the thread!

Thanks!

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Don't think it's a hijack CC. I don't know about handicapped parking.

It'll be a weekday and parking may be at a premium. I will be heading to Standard Parking on 607 E. Marshall St. Multi level parking deck.

I think it is a slightly farther walk from the Standard Parking on 501 N. Seventh St. which is also a multi level deck.

If you get there early, there is a small surface lot: Central Parking at 107 N. Sixth St. Of the ones I looked up it seems the closest walk to the fountain(?) area of the cap grounds but will probably be full by local workers.

I don't know yet when the festivities are supposed to begin, but I'll meet up with folks at the first parking deck I mentioned if they want.

Here's a couple of radios:

http://www.thetwistergroup.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=T5500AA%20W00377&source=fr

http://www.thetwistergroup.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=EM1000R%20D45541&source=fr

Will those work T Dubya? If they're worth it I might just pick a pair up at Target.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I remember the starting time for this event as being 6:00 PM but do not see reference to that time here.

Is 6:00PM correct?

Yata hey

riverrat10k

imported post

cc, the surface lot mentioned is right there. The problem will be them leaving as we are arriving. I have not worked downtown lately, and don't know what they charge.

riverrat10k

imported post

Also, it appears there is construction on the RMA deck, just east. So parking may be tough. Usually parking is available about a 4 block walk from 14th and cary deck. Also parking at 11th and throughout the Shockoe area.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ClumsyCandy wrote:
Thanks guys! I may not be able to make it then! The standing will be hard enough on my leg...
Bring lawn chair.......and sit on it. :)

Are you really going to let someone else stand/sit for your rights?

Yata hey

ClumsyCandy

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
ClumsyCandy wrote:
Thanks guys! I may not be able to make it then! The standing will be hard enough on my leg...
Bring lawn chair.......and sit on it. :)

Are you really going to let someone else stand/sit for your rights?

Yata hey
LOL well, can't do anymore than my leg allows me to!

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

There may be parking at Belle Isle on Tredegar Street. It is just a small and scenic walk to the Federal Reserve from there. The Parking lot may be full, but there is an overflow lot underneath the traintracks.

There is parking if you know where to look.

ClumsyCandy

imported post

What is a "small and scenic walk"? Is it paved level ground?

Not trying to be a pain, but trying to limit the amount of pain I am in : )

And hopefully others will now be aware of potential parking!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Is there going to be a meet up time and place and it may be a good idea to pick a frequency and email it for those of us that will have radios.

riverrat10k

imported post

I was made aware last night that the Annual Shad Planking is also being held on the 15th. I think that ends early (5?) leaving just enough time for those folks to get up here for the rally.

I heard second hand that a Sons of Confederat Veterans organizer at the Planking said he expected 5000 for the Tea Party event.

I hope he is right and my contact was not misinformed about which event he was speaking.