• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

sorry if this has been posted...

mellio

imported post

Very good video. I think he represents responsible gun ownership well. I can't believe the word didn't get around to leave his shop alone. The rats just couldn't stay away from the cheese! :D

MetalChris

imported post

mellio wrote:
Very good video. I think he represents responsible gun ownership well. I can't believe the word didn't get around to leave his shop alone. The rats just couldn't stay away from the cheese! :D
I think the perps where pretty much all gang-bangers wishing to exact revenge on Mr. Thomas.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

MetalChris wrote:
mellio wrote:
I think the perps where pretty much all gang-bangers wishing to exact revenge on Mr. Thomas.

This.

And that guy knew it. That's why he placed a gun every 3 feet inside his store.

He lives by three rules:
1. be polite
2. be professional
3. have a plan to kill everyone you meet

protector84

imported post

This.

He lives by three rules:
1. be polite
2. be professional
Let's talk some sense here. The goal is to stop the threat not to execute the person. Also, being prepared doesn't mean being paranoid. If you need a gun "every 3 feet" then you need a psychiatrist. The Marines in Iraq don't even take it that far. I don't really understand this obession with killing. I've run into it at the range and in gun shops. In other words, if a person breaks into your house, people act like shooting him is not enough. You need to shoot him ten times, then ten more times. I suppose next you should dismember the body, then shoot his family, then burn down his house, and ultimately even shoot his grave site. :shock:

Again, you "shoot to stop the threat" so if the person is injured but has surrendered, you don't keep shooting. Anyone who seriously believes they need to be ready "to kill everyone they meet" needs to be reported to the authorities and certainly has no business owning weapons. Since I doubt anyone who says this really takes themselves seriously, let's at least discuss defense in a sensible manner at an adult level of understanding.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

protector84 wrote:
This.

He lives by three rules:
1. be polite
2. be professional
Let's talk some sense here. The goal is to stop the threat not to execute the person. Also, being prepared doesn't mean being paranoid. If you need a gun "every 3 feet" then you need a psychiatrist. The Marines in Iraq don't even take it that far. I don't really understand this obession with killing. I've run into it at the range and in gun shops. In other words, if a person breaks into your house, people act like shooting him is not enough. You need to shoot him ten times, then ten more times. I suppose next you should dismember the body, then shoot his family, then burn down his house, and ultimately even shoot his grave site. :shock:

Again, you "shoot to stop the threat" so if the person is injured but has surrendered, you don't keep shooting. Anyone who seriously believes they need to be ready "to kill everyone they meet" needs to be reported to the authorities and certainly has no business owning weapons. Since I doubt anyone who says this really takes themselves seriously, let's at least discuss defense in a sensible manner at an adult level of understanding.

I think YOU should read more and post less.

If someone breaks into my home, they are getting shot, a lot... until they hit the ground. and if the so much as flinch in my direction, they will get shot again.

ChinChin

imported post

protector84 wrote:

So in your perfect world; after firing 1 shot and hitting a criminal who is out to murder you. . .you would stop firing and administer a census on if he felt he was in error with his chosen professon?

Given the basic human survival instinct; you don't think that person might take advantage of your "concern" and rush you to take your weapon from you? I've read reports where a criminal on various narcotics have been shot 15 or 16 times and kept on fighting.

As for judging the mental stability of the shop owner who felt he needed a firearm place every three feet; once you have been in three shootouts, shot through the neck and have 6 or 7 gunshot wounds to show for it, I'll be more apt to accept you as an authority on the topic.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

ChinChin wrote:
protector84 wrote:

So in your perfect world; after firing 1 shot and hitting a criminal who is out to murder you. . .you would stop firing and administer a census on if he felt he was in error with his chosen professon?

Given the basic human survival instinct; you don't think that person might take advantage of your "concern" and rush you to take your weapon from you? I've read reports where a criminal on various narcotics have been shot 15 or 16 times and kept on fighting.

As for judging the mental stability of the shop owner who felt he needed a firearm place every three feet; once you have been in three shootouts, shot through the neck and have 6 or 7 gunshot wounds to show for it, I'll be more apt to accept you as an authority on the topic.

http://www.lawofficer.com/news-and-articles/articles/lom/0412/the_peter_soulis_incident.html

IrRelevant

imported post

Great video, i admire that gentleman!!

Im curious,I try to shoot at least once a week, but how shouldI go about training my self to respond ifI were in a situation whereI needed to. Holster drills? What do you all recommend,I only have a range to shoot in, so im not as free to train as some of you may be.

protector84

imported post

How about using "common sense" when faced with defensive scenarios instead of "knee-jerk reactions." You shoot to "stop the threat" or "bring the person down." That doesn't mean you give up any tactics in the process, either. In other words, you don't do the same thing they do on TV where you set the gun down and kiss your wife while the bad guy gets back up. Most states allow you to shoot only as necessary to stop the threat. Technically, that means that if you shoot the bad guy a couple of times and say they both hit non-vital areas, the bad guy falls down, and says "I surrender! Don't shoot me!" then you stand at a safe distance (10 feet minimum) while you hold him at citizens' arrest and then dial the police. What you don't do is then walk up tothe person and put a final shot in his forehead. You don't proceed to tie him up and then strangle him.

The point is you stop the threat, whether or not the person lives or dies. However, your objective is not to end the person's life. You are not allowed to "make sure he's dead." Don't get me wrong either. If someone were threatening my life, I would likely empty at least half a magazine from a pistol or two powerful shells from the shotgun. Unfortunately, it seems like some people here have a different objective than lawful self-defense but instead have some sort of desire to execute criminals. Be advised that in most states even if someone broke into your house/store/whatever, if the police can prove that excessive force was used, you will be liable in criminal AND civil court. So this "one in each knee cap and a final point-blank to the head" commentary that I hear here and at gun shops will get you no where except the gray-bar hotel.

As to the "gun every three feet" rule, I'm sorry but I don't believe everything I read or watch and especially on YouTube, Facebook, MySpace, and similar junk websites. If this were true in a typical convenience store, judging by the average square footage, the store owner would have to have dozens of guns in the store and where would he hide them all? It defies logic as if there were that many guns around then customers could get a hold of them and steal them or use them against him. If the store is that dangerous, common sense would imply that the owner would have a pistol on him at all times and maybe a shotgun strategically placed where he could get to it but an unauthorized person couldn't.A gun "every 3 feet?" I also have a bridge to sell. Enjoy your YouTube. I'm moving on to the next thread. :uhoh:

riverrat10k

imported post

protecter84:

I agree shoot only when in fear for my life and to stop the threat. However, if I catch someone whois raping a female family member, a gun would not be my choice.

A knife to the eyes, tongue, genitals, and off with both hands, then......

911 for an ambulance and first aid so he has many years to think about what he did.

That threat is officially stopped.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

protector84 wrote:
How about using "common sense" when faced with defensive scenarios instead of "knee-jerk reactions." You shoot to "stop the threat" or "bring the person down."

Its a matter of education. I can't think of too many human beings that are so serene that they don't have strong emotions on the subject of self-defense. Leave out the education about the law on self-defense, education on tactics, education on what to expect from bad-guys, and all you have left is TV shows, and natural anger.

Also, don't forget that talk/rant is, for some people, different than what they would actually do in a defensive scenario. In this case I'm referring to the personality that talks brutal, but in a real defensive situation would naturally stop once the threat was over. Meaning his talker got ahead of his understanding of self and ability to estimate his reaction.

As to people who are so serene they, without education, would talk and act mostly correctly, many of themsociety looks up to, saints,philosophers, etc.People like that are around. They're just not common. That's why they are revered.

So, when you see big talk, brutal talk, tacticallyunsound orillegal talk, step in and educate. The majority will come around. They're good guys at heart.

protector84

imported post

I've noticed how the instant someone places emotions in a conversation or discussion then immediately the quality goes down. You get somewhere by thinking through issues logically and using facts and reason. Just like the person who then replies about what he would do if someone raped his family member. Again, no logic just knee-jerk reactions based on emotions. From a perspective of logic and reason, if he carried that out he would actually be sued for damages and then sent to prison for aggrevated assault. It is my opinion that rape is incredibly evil and a person who is raping someone should be killed. Acting on those opinions is a different thing, however. Again, logic would fail in the example above. Suppose the guy got the knife away from you and started stabbing you? Suppose he was on drugs and had incredible strength? Suppose he had a partner in crime hiding who you didn't see who then kills you while you're torturing the rapist? Again, logic out the window. Using one's head (if they have one) would mean you would stop the threat as effectively as possible. You would want to shoot the rapist but without any shots accidently hitting the victim. You would want to aim for center of mass to increase the likelihood of the rapist stopping the attack and minimizing a missed shot. After the threat is stopped, you would probably hope the rapist died but it may not be a smart thing to put the gun right to his head and pull the trigger again because that would now be excessive force.

But enough of that logic stuff. If I'm out with a girlfriend and someone grabs her and tries to kidnap her, I'm going to shoot him one in each knee cap, then I'm going to decapitate him, sever his arms and legs and you know what else, then I'm going to burn the body. Then I'm going to kill all of his family and then put a bullet hole in every single one of their grave stones. Then I'm going to walk into the kidnapper's job with an AK-47 and kill all of his friends. After all, we can't have "people like that around." :uhoh::uhoh::uhoh::uhoh:

Last but not least, nobody responded to my challenge about the "gun every 3 feet." Again, I guess if you see it on YouTube, it's got to be true right? :what:How does a store owner keep a gun "every three feet" without a customer or other person getting a hold of them? Is one hidden behind the candy bars, another one under a beer box, and third between two cartons of cigarettes? By the way, Elvis is still alive.

NightOwl

imported post

It's a watch repair store. Most of the area where the owner worked wasn't customer accessible. He's on his side of the counter, he's at his workbench, etc. I'm pretty sure that he didn't put a gun in the middle of the customer floor area...then 3ft higher than that hanging on a string...then a few feet above that on the string, etc. Take a look around the shop in the video and you can see how he could easily place firearms in non-customer areas pretty easily.

carhark

Opt-Out Members
Kitsap & Whatcom Counties, Washington, USA
imported post

protector84 wrote:
Most states allow you to shoot only as necessary to stop the threat. Technically, that means that if you shoot the bad guy a couple of times and say they both hit non-vital areas, the bad guy falls down, and says "I surrender! Don't shoot me!" then you stand at a safe distance (10 feet minimum) while you hold him at citizens' arrest and then dial the police.
Here is where I think you are misinterpreting others on this forum. I do not believe they want to kill the bad guy, but have a plan to kill them if they are limited to that choice. I agree with you in that if the BG is surrendering I will stop shooting, but I agree with others here, meaning that I will plan on killing him if he does make a move towards me. You can expand this planning to anyone you meet on the street.