Thread: Voice Recorder

Post imported post

This is a little off topic, but can anyone cite the the rule or lack thereof that talks about the right to use a voice recorder in the public domain. I know all states are different in this regard.

Does this change when you are in your car ? ( in regards to being stopped and recording the exchanges that take place following)

Someone was arguing with me about it the other day, and I was looking for some facts to back my argument up. I've seen a lot of answers on the internet and from others but none seem to have any cites. Figured if I asked here I'd get a response.

Post imported post

jwelters wrote:
    This is a little off topic, but can anyone cite the the rule or lack thereof that talks about the right to use a voice recorder in the public domain. I know all states are different in this regard.

Does this change when you are in your car ? ( in regards to being stopped and recording the exchanges that take place following)

Someone was arguing with me about it the other day, and I was looking for some facts to back my argument up. I've seen a lot of answers on the internet and from others but none seem to have any cites. Figured if I asked here I'd get a response.

Michigan, apparently, is a two-party state. IMO, the LEO has you stopped on the side of a road with noexpectation of privacy and therefore the recording should be legal.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/states/michigan.html

ETA: 750.539a

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
    jwelters wrote:
    This is a little off topic, but can anyone cite the the rule or lack thereof that talks about the right to use a voice recorder in the public domain.¬* I know all states are different in this regard.

Someone was arguing with me about it the other day, and I was looking for some facts to back my argument up.¬* I've seen a lot of answers on the internet and from others but none seem to have any cites. Figured if I asked here I'd get a response.

Michigan, apparently, is a two-party state.¬* IMO, the LEO has you stopped on the side of a road with no¬*expectation of privacy and therefore the recording should be legal.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/states/michigan.html

ETA: 750.539a
    Correct. According to the law, if there is an expectation of privacy from either of the two individuals, then you need permission to record.

Any interaction with any public official is by definition not private, when they are contacting you in an official manner. Therefore, you or anyone else may record a conversation with a police officer, even if you're not a party of the conversation. (FOIA makes any other recordings held by the state to be public, too)

Post imported post

Good that sufficiently answers my question. Thanks for the fast responses.