• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Voice Recorder

jwelters

imported post

This is a little off topic, but can anyone cite the the rule or lack thereof that talks about the right to use a voice recorder in the public domain. I know all states are different in this regard.

Does this change when you are in your car ? ( in regards to being stopped and recording the exchanges that take place following)

Someone was arguing with me about it the other day, and I was looking for some facts to back my argument up. I've seen a lot of answers on the internet and from others but none seem to have any cites. Figured if I asked here I'd get a response.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

jwelters wrote:
This is a little off topic, but can anyone cite the the rule or lack thereof that talks about the right to use a voice recorder in the public domain. I know all states are different in this regard.

Does this change when you are in your car ? ( in regards to being stopped and recording the exchanges that take place following)

Someone was arguing with me about it the other day, and I was looking for some facts to back my argument up. I've seen a lot of answers on the internet and from others but none seem to have any cites. Figured if I asked here I'd get a response.

Michigan, apparently, is a two-party state. IMO, the LEO has you stopped on the side of a road with noexpectation of privacy and therefore the recording should be legal.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/states/michigan.html

ETA: 750.539a

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
jwelters wrote:
This is a little off topic, but can anyone cite the the rule or lack thereof that talks about the right to use a voice recorder in the public domain.  I know all states are different in this regard.

Someone was arguing with me about it the other day, and I was looking for some facts to back my argument up.  I've seen a lot of answers on the internet and from others but none seem to have any cites. Figured if I asked here I'd get a response.

Michigan, apparently, is a two-party state.  IMO, the LEO has you stopped on the side of a road with no expectation of privacy and therefore the recording should be legal.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/states/michigan.html

ETA: 750.539a

Correct. According to the law, if there is an expectation of privacy from either of the two individuals, then you need permission to record.

Any interaction with any public official is by definition not private, when they are contacting you in an official manner. Therefore, you or anyone else may record a conversation with a police officer, even if you're not a party of the conversation. (FOIA makes any other recordings held by the state to be public, too)