Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hostage situation in Binhamton NY

Post imported post

I just caught the last bit. 40 some hostages. Anyone else catch the whole thing and have further news? That's only like 20-30 minutes from my house. Wow.

Post imported post

4 dead, 12 shot...

Asian perp....at a place that provides services to immigrants.

According to fox news.

Post imported post

4 People Shot, 41 Hostages Taken at Immigration Center in Upstate New York Friday, April 03, 2009

DEVELOPING: At least four people have been shot and 41 hostages have been taken at an immigration center in upstate New York.
    Binghamton, N.Y., Mayor Matthew Ryan told the local Press & Sun Bulletin newspaper that the gunman had a high-powered rifle at the American Civic Association.
    The shooter was described as an Asian male in a green jacket, according to local reports.
    Apartments and schools in the area have been evacuated or were on lockdown.
    The mayhem began about 10:30 a.m. EDT Friday.
    Four people were taken from the building on stretchers and moved to hospitals. The Binghamton SWAT team is on the scene.
    At least four people have been shot and several people taken hostage at an immigration services center in Binghamton, N.Y.
    Mayor Matthew Ryan tells The Binghamton Press & Sun Bulletin on Friday that the gunman has a high-powered rifle.
    The newspaper reports there are 41 hostages in the building of the American Civic Association. It says apartments are being evacuated.
    Four people have been taken from the building on stretchers and moved to hospitals. The Binghamton SWAT team is on the scene.
    The incident started about 10:30 a.m.
    The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Post imported post

EVELOPING: Several people were shot Friday and at least 41 hostages taken at an immigration center in upstate New York.
    There may be some fatalities in the rampage at the American Civic Association in Binghamton, N.Y., but police declined to say whether that's the case.
    Binghamton Police told FOXNews.com that they couldn't confirm whether any of the shooting victims died and wouldn't give the number shot because it was still "an active scene."
    But a local hospital said they were treating at least five shooting victims.
    Five people with gunshot wounds were being treated at the local Wilson Medical Center, one in critical condition, Christina Boyd, a vice president for community relations, told FOX News.
    SWAT team officers have surrounded the building but "they do not have it secured," a Binghamton police spokesman told FOXNews.com.
    Hospital staff were in the process of notifying the families, according to Boyd. None of the victims were identified, and there were extra doctors and nurses there to handle the emergency, she said.
    Photo Essays Binghamton Mayor Matthew Ryan told the local Press & Sun Bulletin newspaper that the gunman had a high-powered rifle. The shooter was described by local media as an Asian male in a green jacket.
    Apartments and schools in the area have been evacuated or are on lockdown.
    The mayhem began about 10:30 a.m. EDT Friday.
    There were classes scheduled Friday at the immigration services center, located in the same town as the State University of New York Binghamton (SUNY) campus.
    Four people were taken from the building on stretchers and moved to hospitals. The Binghamton SWAT team is on the scene.
    The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Post imported post

Don't you just love gun free zones ?

Post imported post

Wouldn't there be armed guards in a place like that?

Post imported post

Suspects is in custody....

Post imported post

Let's replay the events if this occurred in AZ.

NY Headline: Multiple dead victims....41 Hostages...shooter in control

AZ Headline: One dead victim....Shooter riddled with bullets from 6 armed citizens after first victim shot.

I think I'll stay here in AZ.

Post imported post

13 dead are being reported at this time.

2 suspects.

Post imported post

Pa isn't Arizona but we have quite a few armed persons. I'd like to think a group of 60 or so would have a few sheepdogs.
    Was that a gov building and therefore off limits?

Post imported post

[img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ADMINI%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/img]This happened in upstate new york....

New York, Mostly immigrants, and I am sure a gun free zone.....perfect place to this kind of madness.

Post imported post

...reports are now saying 'gun man took his own life'.

Post imported post

DonTreadOnMe wrote:
    13 dead are being reported at this time.

2 suspects.

26 wounded.

12 dead victims.

1 dead nut case.

...is that is currently being reported.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Everyone is reporting that the gunman used a 'High Powered Rifle'. Does that mean it was anything other than a pellet gun?

Post imported post

I have a bad feeling about this one folks. I think new administration was waiting for something like that to happen to push moreanti-gun agenda. This might be a loud enough case for them to start. He probably had something like 30-06 or 308 and that's why they report "high power rifle". If he had a Mini 14 orsomething, it would be "assault rifle". If he had a bolt action1943 Mosin-Nagant, it would be "military grade fighting rifle"Damn, even if shooter had Gamo airgun witha scope, i bet news would report "sniper rifle"

Post imported post

DonTreadOnMe wrote:
    [img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ADMINI%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/img]This happened in upstate new york....

New York, Mostly immigrants, and I am sure a gun free zone.....perfect place to this kind of madness.

Binghamton would be downstate NY. It's just over the Pa border in line with Elmira further west. Too close.

Post imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
    I have a bad feeling about this one folks. I think new administration was waiting for something like that to happen to push moreanti-gun agenda. This might be a loud enough case for them to start. He probably had something like 30-06 or 308 and that's why they report "high power rifle". If he had a Mini 14 orsomething, it would be "assault rifle". If he had a bolt action1943 Mosin-Nagant, it would be "military grade fighting rifle"Damn, even if shooter had Gamo airgun witha scope, i bet news would report "sniper rifle"
    I want to know if he was in any way a prohibited possessor. Fox said a vietnamese or asian man was the shooter. If he is legally here, can he possess a firarm?

Post imported post

It depends. You generally have to be a citizen or permanent resident to legally acquire arms (limited exceptions). I don't think it matters much though - he'd have made himself a prohibited person by acting thus, and even if he were prohibited already, a lot of good it did to so classify him.

-ljp

Post imported post

LEO Cadet 09 wrote:
    Wouldn't there be armed guards in a place like that?
    They just spoke to some admin lady and she said they only had cops when they did large functions. To direct traffic.

Post imported post

400HP wrote:
    Chaingun81 wrote:
    I want to know if he was in any way a prohibited possessor. Fox said a vietnamese or asian man was the shooter. If he is legally here, can he possess a firarm?
    Immigration status-wise you have to be a US citizen or LPR (green card holder) to posess guns.

Post imported post

YllwFvr wrote:
    DonTreadOnMe wrote:

Binghamton would be downstate NY. It's just over the Pa border in line with Elmira further west. Too close.
    Upstate means different things to different people. For many, if it is not new york, new york area...it is upstate. But, your right it is too close.....living on the same planet with such scum is too close.

Perp has been identified:
    41 year Jiverly Voong, from Johnson City new york.

Post imported post

As a native New Yorker I would consider everything north of the latitude of the northern border of PA and east of the finger lakes as Upstate New York. West of the Finger lakes as Western New York and south of PA's North border as Downstate (from Kingston to the City), then NYC and east of that is Long Island.

Binghamton is in Upstate New York.

This is important based on how the Anti's will try to use this tragedy they allowed to happen as more reason for them to steal our rights.

If it was West New York (the most conservative) it probably wouldn't fly at all. In NYC they simply need to point and say "told you we need MORE gun control". Upstate is kind of a blend of both and will appease hunters but still point to the need for more gun control

That ass backwards thinking just sickens me. What we need is to have MORE people legally carrying guns to stop these atrocities. That means changing NY to a shall issue state, lifting gun bans in NYC, and knocking a few HUNDRED dollars off getting a permit. Also, becoming an OC state would help.

Will any of that happen? Not without the SCOTUS's help...thats why i live in the free commonwealth of Pennsylvania! :celebrate

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

Post imported post

Around 12:40 p.m., another 10 were released from the rear of the building, clad in white sheets.
    What the heck is this about?

Post imported post

The only gun free zones in New York are schools and court houses. Even if the building is owned by the city or county it is not of limits unless the court house is in it. Even in other states there probably wouldn't be legally armed people inside, or more then one. It runs programs for foreigners. Non-citizens=No guns. New York is bad but not that bad. I know plenty of other people that carry and once you have it its valid for life.

Post imported post

Jiverly Voong was recently laid off from ibm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast