• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hostage situation in Binhamton NY

LEO Cadet 09

imported post

I just caught the last bit. 40 some hostages. Anyone else catch the whole thing and have further news? That's only like 20-30 minutes from my house. Wow.

DonTreadOnMe

imported post

4 People Shot, 41 Hostages Taken at Immigration Center in Upstate New York Friday, April 03, 2009
foxnews_story.gif

DEVELOPING: At least four people have been shot and 41 hostages have been taken at an immigration center in upstate New York.
Binghamton, N.Y., Mayor Matthew Ryan told the local Press & Sun Bulletin newspaper that the gunman had a high-powered rifle at the American Civic Association.
The shooter was described as an Asian male in a green jacket, according to local reports.
Apartments and schools in the area have been evacuated or were on lockdown.
The mayhem began about 10:30 a.m. EDT Friday.
Four people were taken from the building on stretchers and moved to hospitals. The Binghamton SWAT team is on the scene.
At least four people have been shot and several people taken hostage at an immigration services center in Binghamton, N.Y.
Mayor Matthew Ryan tells The Binghamton Press & Sun Bulletin on Friday that the gunman has a high-powered rifle.
The newspaper reports there are 41 hostages in the building of the American Civic Association. It says apartments are being evacuated.
Four people have been taken from the building on stretchers and moved to hospitals. The Binghamton SWAT team is on the scene.
The incident started about 10:30 a.m.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.

DonTreadOnMe

imported post

EVELOPING: Several people were shot Friday and at least 41 hostages taken at an immigration center in upstate New York.
There may be some fatalities in the rampage at the American Civic Association in Binghamton, N.Y., but police declined to say whether that's the case.
Binghamton Police told FOXNews.com that they couldn't confirm whether any of the shooting victims died and wouldn't give the number shot because it was still "an active scene."
But a local hospital said they were treating at least five shooting victims.
Five people with gunshot wounds were being treated at the local Wilson Medical Center, one in critical condition, Christina Boyd, a vice president for community relations, told FOX News.
SWAT team officers have surrounded the building but "they do not have it secured," a Binghamton police spokesman told FOXNews.com.
Hospital staff were in the process of notifying the families, according to Boyd. None of the victims were identified, and there were extra doctors and nurses there to handle the emergency, she said.
Photo Essays Binghamton Mayor Matthew Ryan told the local Press & Sun Bulletin newspaper that the gunman had a high-powered rifle. The shooter was described by local media as an Asian male in a green jacket.
Apartments and schools in the area have been evacuated or are on lockdown.
The mayhem began about 10:30 a.m. EDT Friday.
There were classes scheduled Friday at the immigration services center, located in the same town as the State University of New York Binghamton (SUNY) campus.
Four people were taken from the building on stretchers and moved to hospitals. The Binghamton SWAT team is on the scene.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Armed4Life

imported post

Let's replay the events if this occurred in AZ.

NY Headline: Multiple dead victims....41 Hostages...shooter in control

AZ Headline: One dead victim....Shooter riddled with bullets from 6 armed citizens after first victim shot.

I think I'll stay here in AZ.

YllwFvr

imported post

Pa isn't Arizona but we have quite a few armed persons. I'd like to think a group of 60 or so would have a few sheepdogs.
Was that a gov building and therefore off limits?

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Everyone is reporting that the gunman used a 'High Powered Rifle'. Does that mean it was anything other than a pellet gun?

Chaingun81

imported post

I have a bad feeling about this one folks. I think new administration was waiting for something like that to happen to push moreanti-gun agenda. This might be a loud enough case for them to start. He probably had something like 30-06 or 308 and that's why they report "high power rifle". If he had a Mini 14 orsomething, it would be "assault rifle". If he had a bolt action1943 Mosin-Nagant, it would be "military grade fighting rifle"Damn, even if shooter had Gamo airgun witha scope, i bet news would report "sniper rifle" :cuss::banghead::cuss::banghead::cuss::banghead:

YllwFvr

imported post

DonTreadOnMe wrote:
moz-screenshot.jpg
This happened in upstate new york....

New York, Mostly immigrants, and I am sure a gun free zone.....perfect place to this kind of madness.

:cuss:
Binghamton would be downstate NY. It's just over the Pa border in line with Elmira further west. Too close.

400HP

imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
I have a bad feeling about this one folks. I think new administration was waiting for something like that to happen to push moreanti-gun agenda. This might be a loud enough case for them to start. He probably had something like 30-06 or 308 and that's why they report "high power rifle". If he had a Mini 14 orsomething, it would be "assault rifle". If he had a bolt action1943 Mosin-Nagant, it would be "military grade fighting rifle"Damn, even if shooter had Gamo airgun witha scope, i bet news would report "sniper rifle" :cuss::banghead::cuss::banghead::cuss::banghead:
I want to know if he was in any way a prohibited possessor. Fox said a vietnamese or asian man was the shooter. If he is legally here, can he possess a firarm?

Legba

imported post

It depends. You generally have to be a citizen or permanent resident to legally acquire arms (limited exceptions). I don't think it matters much though - he'd have made himself a prohibited person by acting thus, and even if he were prohibited already, a lot of good it did to so classify him.

-ljp

Vegassteve

imported post

LEO Cadet 09 wrote:
Wouldn't there be armed guards in a place like that?
They just spoke to some admin lady and she said they only had cops when they did large functions. To direct traffic.

Chaingun81

imported post

400HP wrote:
Chaingun81 wrote:
I want to know if he was in any way a prohibited possessor. Fox said a vietnamese or asian man was the shooter. If he is legally here, can he possess a firarm?
Immigration status-wise you have to be a US citizen or LPR (green card holder) to posess guns.