• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hostage situation in Binhamton NY

DonTreadOnMe

imported post

YllwFvr wrote:
DonTreadOnMe wrote:
moz-screenshot.jpg
This happened in upstate new york....

New York, Mostly immigrants, and I am sure a gun free zone.....perfect place to this kind of madness.

:cuss:
Binghamton would be downstate NY. It's just over the Pa border in line with Elmira further west. Too close.

Upstate means different things to different people. For many, if it is not new york, new york area...it is upstate. But, your right it is too close.....living on the same planet with such scum is too close.

Perp has been identified:
41 year Jiverly Voong, from Johnson City new york.

Prophet

imported post

As a native New Yorker I would consider everything north of the latitude of the northern border of PA and east of the finger lakes as Upstate New York. West of the Finger lakes as Western New York and south of PA's North border as Downstate (from Kingston to the City), then NYC and east of that is Long Island.

Binghamton is in Upstate New York.

This is important based on how the Anti's will try to use this tragedy they allowed to happen as more reason for them to steal our rights.

If it was West New York (the most conservative) it probably wouldn't fly at all. In NYC they simply need to point and say "told you we need MORE gun control". Upstate is kind of a blend of both and will appease hunters but still point to the need for more gun control

That ass backwards thinking just sickens me. What we need is to have MORE people legally carrying guns to stop these atrocities. That means changing NY to a shall issue state, lifting gun bans in NYC, and knocking a few HUNDRED dollars off getting a permit. Also, becoming an OC state would help.

Will any of that happen? Not without the SCOTUS's help...thats why i live in the free commonwealth of Pennsylvania! :celebrate

UpNYSteve

imported post

The only gun free zones in New York are schools and court houses. Even if the building is owned by the city or county it is not of limits unless the court house is in it. Even in other states there probably wouldn't be legally armed people inside, or more then one. It runs programs for foreigners. Non-citizens=No guns. New York is bad but not that bad. I know plenty of other people that carry and once you have it its valid for life.

Chaingun81

imported post

Stevtrains wrote:
The only gun free zones in New York are schools and court houses. Even if the building is owned by the city or county it is not of limits unless the court house is in it. Even in other states there probably wouldn't be legally armed people inside, or more then one. It runs programs for foreigners. Non-citizens=No guns. New York is bad but not that bad. I know plenty of other people that carry and once you have it its valid for life.
It was reported somewhere that one of the things this center did was helping people to get ready for citizenship exam. Since the only people who are eligible to apply for citizenship and take the exam are those who have been LPRs (green card holders) for at least 5 years (in some cases for 3 years), they could have been armed. You dont need to be a US citizen to legally purchase, posess and even carry a firearm, being LPRis enough.

YllwFvr

imported post

Has anyone got any information on the type of weapon used by the attacker? I'm curious what those high powered rifle is.

GWbiker

imported post

YllwFvr wrote:
Has anyone got any information on the type of weapon used by the attacker? I'm curious what those high powered rifle is.
It depends on which news outlet you believe.....:uhoh:

CNN: Attacker used a high powered rifle.

FOX: Attacker used a high powered handgun.

MSNBC: Attacker used two handguns. A 9mm and a .45.

KAHR54

imported post

At this time- 8:18 pm- The Cops have said the guy had two handguns- no rifles. The original 911 call from a receptionist who was one of the first shot and wounded and played dead gave the impression there was a rifle involved. She also gave a description of the shooter which was why the cops detained any asian young man as a potential suspect.

I have in-laws in 'Bimmington' as we call Binghamton in my town in Northeast PA. A very nice small city ( 40 K pop. ) with the usual problems such a place in the northeast has with drug crime and such.

I was stationed in San Diego in the navy in the 80's during a couple post office massacres ( the postal thing ) and the San Ysidro Macdonalds massacre- the first of its kind of which the Bimmington deal is a recent occurence.

The Brady Center against guns has predictably come out against handguns. Of course, New York has very restrictive gun laws- didn't stop this guy- but what is important -to me- is that they could have benefited from the ISRAELI example: if only an administrator, or an instructor had been properly trained and armed to deal with this threat the number of victims could have been much less.

suntzu

imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
I have a bad feeling about this one folks. I think new administration was waiting for something like that to happen to push moreanti-gun agenda. This might be a loud enough case for them to start. He probably had something like 30-06 or 308 and that's why they report "high power rifle". If he had a Mini 14 orsomething, it would be "assault rifle". If he had a bolt action1943 Mosin-Nagant, it would be "military grade fighting rifle"Damn, even if shooter had Gamo airgun witha scope, i bet news would report "sniper rifle" :cuss::banghead::cuss::banghead::cuss::banghead:
the news changed its' story and said that handguns and not rifles were used in the shooting, and that they think 20-30 rounds were fired...

meaning the shooter most likely used "hi cap" magazines, which are prohibited in NY...

they will step on the bodies of these dead in order to run rough shod over the 2nd Amendment.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Nightline just ran a report on the shooting. They said that the shooter was a Vietnamese immagrant that didn't speak English very well. His family said that he was frustrated because of the treatment he recieved due to his inability to speak English. Not sure that is the main motive.

Let's see if the story gets changed again, by moring.

GWbiker

imported post

GWbiker wrote:
YllwFvr wrote:
It depends on which news outlet you believe.....:uhoh:

CNN: Attacker used a high powered rifle.

FOX: Attacker used a high powered handgun.

MSNBC: Attacker used two handguns. A 9mm and a .45.

ABC Nightline tonight: Two *heavy caliber automatic pistols*.

The Networks are now reviewing massive shootings, going well back into the 1960's. (Witman, Austin Texas)

Brace yourselves folks, the Brady crowd will be running wild!:cuss:

Slayer of Paper

imported post

It's time to turn this around, people!

This incident has absolutely pointed out the fallacy of gun control, to horrifying effect. Even with some of the most draconian gun control laws in the country, this murderer obviously didn't care about them, and certainly didn't obey them in his plans to carry out this horrible act.

No, what these evil gun control laws DID do, was to prevent some law-abiding citizen from perhaps ending this madman's spree before it really got going.

It is the gun control laws themselves that are responsible for this, and so many other active shooter situations. If law-abiding Americans were permitted to freely exercise their right to keep and bear arms, exactly as specified in the Constitution, many of these incidents would end in the death of a murderer, with far fewer innocent victims beside them.

If you are looking for someone to blame for this tragedy, look to the Brady Campaign, and all of the other gun control groups.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

DonTreadOnMe wrote:
Binghamton, N.Y., Mayor Matthew Ryan told the local Press & Sun Bulletin newspaper that the gunman had a high-powered rifle at the American Civic Association.
When does such a prejudiced lie become culpable? For how many hours did we have to listen to the "high-powered rifle" mantra?

Why was it not reported as an 'assault weapon'? Are the words of the mantra changing like global-warming becomes climate change?

PT111

imported post

Into this mess — as one would expect — has waded Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. Making perhaps the single statement that comes as close to intelligent as is Helmke’s normal diatribe, he said in a press release, “The laws on the books aren’t getting the job done.”
Exactly. The laws that Helmke and his crowd have supported, laws that disarm law-abiding Americans and those seeking to become American citizens, definitely are not getting the job done. They’re not designed to protect the public, they are designed merely to make people vulnerable to more of this madness.

New York has some of the toughest gun laws in the country, yet this crime happened in New York. Yes, this is a gun law failure. The gun control laws of New York failed miserably by virtually stripping good citizens of the only sure tools of self-defense against a kill-crazed madman.
Again there is the misbelief that a law can prevent anything. Obeying gun laws or any law is voluntary. This fellow decided not to obey the gun laws and wound up dead because of if. Pass 50 more laws and all we will wind up with is more people dead. Laws cannot prevent something from happening but only try to make people decide not to do something by punishing them if they do. This fellow decided that the action justified the cost. What more punishment could he have suffered if there were more laws on the books. LAws are not worthless but they won't solve the problem.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

PT111 wrote:
Into this mess — as one would expect — has waded Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. Making perhaps the single statement that comes as close to intelligent as is Helmke’s normal diatribe, he said in a press release, “The laws on the books aren’t getting the job done.”
Exactly. The laws that Helmke and his crowd have supported, laws that disarm law-abiding Americans and those seeking to become American citizens, definitely are not getting the job done. They’re not designed to protect the public, they are designed merely to make people vulnerable to more of this madness.

New York has some of the toughest gun laws in the country, yet this crime happened in New York. Yes, this is a gun law failure. The gun control laws of New York failed miserably by virtually stripping good citizens of the only sure tools of self-defense against a kill-crazed madman.
Again there is the misbelief that a law can prevent anything. Obeying gun laws or any law is voluntary. This fellow decided not to obey the gun laws and wound up dead because of if. Pass 50 more laws and all we will wind up with is more people dead. Laws cannot prevent something from happening but only try to make people decide not to do something by punishing them if they do. This fellow decided that the action justified the cost. What more punishment could he have suffered if there were more laws on the books. LAws are not worthless but they won't solve the problem.
Boy did you hit the nail on the head with your post.

Laws are artificial mechanisms put into place to control behavior where there are not longer sufficient natural controls in place. THIS is what has taken place in this country over the last 60 years and THIS is a fundamental reason why we see ourselves in the mess we're in today. And the very people who scream the loudest for more "laws" are the same people (types) who brought us to this point in the first place.

I could go on for paragraphs about this because I have seen it come to pass in my lifetime. But in a nutshell, that is what has happened.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://in.reuters.com/article/topNews/idINIndia-38883420090404

FBI rules out Taliban claim on New York killingsWASHINGTON (Reuters) - The FBI on Saturday ruled out Pakistani Taliban militant leader Baituallah Mehsud's claim that he was responsible for an attack on a U.S. immigration assistance center in New York state in which 14 people were killed. "Based on the evidence, we can firmly discount that claim," FBI spokesman Richard Kolko said.
A man armed with two handguns killed 13 people at an immigrant services center on Friday before apparently turning the gun on himself, authorities in Binghamton, New York, said.
Representative Maurice Hinchey, whose district includes Binghamton, told the New York Times that indications were the gunman was an immigrant from Vietnam.
Mehsud told Reuters in Pakistan earlier Saturday that his group was responsible. "I accept responsibility. They were my men. I gave them orders in reaction to U.S. drone attacks," Mehsud said by telephone from an undisclosed location.

KBCraig

imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
Immigration status-wise you have to be a US citizen or LPR (green card holder) to posess guns.
Anyone on an immigration visa can possess guns if they have a hunting license, or are here to participate in a shooting sports competition or demonstration.

PT111

imported post

It gets worse:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30042172/

BINGHAMTON, N.Y. - The gunman who killed 13 people in a rampage at an immigrant community center and then committed suicide was wearing body armor, indicating he was prepared to battle with law enforcers, the Binghamton police chief said Saturday.

The gunman, 41-year-old Jiverly Wong, had been taking classes at the American Civic Association, which helps immigrants assimilate, until last month, Police Chief Joseph Zikuski said.

Wong had a permit for the two handguns he used, Zikuski said. Most of the victims had multiple gunshot wounds, he said.
Very bad for the pro-gun community.