View Poll Results: should schools be prohibited from making their own rules about guns?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes- for CPL holders only

3 12.00%
  • yes- for everybody

21 84.00%
  • not sure need more information

0 0%
  • no- there's no place for guns on a college campus

1 4.00%

Thread: EMPTY HOLSTER PROTEST

Post imported post

Students for Concealed Carry on Campus will be holding their 3'rd nationwide empty holster protest on college campuses nationwide the week of april 20.

the chapter at Grand Rapids Community College is going for a double whammy.
    they are holding their protest the week of the 6'th(starting monday) and the week of the 20'th.

while this is an OC website, I recall some conversation earlier this year about becoming an active force in removing restrictions on our 2'nd amendment rights.
    here's one group that could use your help.

PM me if you would like to help with this, whether through financial(at this point, not really necessary) means, or perhaps even by showing up with an EMPTY holster and helping us make an impact.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I'll be doing one in Ann Arbor, but I'm not sure when. Probably the 6th, since everyone will be gone by the national week. Also, it may be just me, since I don't have a lot of followers yet, and those that are in the group don't really have the stones for public display.

Post imported post

What a CPL holding student at a clearly state run university needs to do is sue the school for violating his or her rights that are guaranteed by state law. Empty holster protests are fine and well, but to the best of my knowledge, schools are preempted for CPL holders who are open carrying. Protesting for a right you already can have, but neglecting to exercise it, is pretty silly.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

I'm afraid I didn't quite get the poll. Sorry to be dense. Is the poll asking whether schools should be able to individually limit posession of weapons on their respective campuses (campi)?

Additionally, how does one go about supporting the Empty Holstrer movement on campus?

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

Dan F. wrote:
    I'm afraid I didn't quite get the poll. Sorry to be dense. Is the poll asking whether schools should be able to individually limit posession of weapons on their respective campuses (campi)?

Additionally, how does one go about supporting the Empty Holstrer movement on campus?
    Right know colleges can ban weapons in most states (I think they can't in Utah.) and in Michiganthey don't fall under preemption. There is a national org. of college students that are trying to change that. They have open holster rallies across the country as a protest and attention getter.

The poll is asking should colleges be allowed to ban firearms on campuses. The answer is DUH..NO
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

Venator wrote:
    Dan F. wrote:

Right know colleges can ban weapons in most states (I think they can't in Utah.) and in Michiganthey don't fall under preemption. There is a national org. of college students that are trying to change that. They have open holster rallies across the country as a protest and attention getter.

The poll is asking should colleges be allowed to ban firearms on campuses. The answer is DUH..NO
    Pardon me for being anal, but it's asking should they be prohibited from banning firearms, and the answer should be DUH.. YES
    "Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame." - Cort

Gun control is like trying to reduce Drunk Driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

The answer to "1984" is "
    1776"

With freedom comes much responsibility. It is for this reason so many are loathe to exercise it.

Post imported post

Venator wrote:
    and in Michiganthey don't fall under preemption.
    I'm confused. I had thought that they must, as publicly owned institutions. Is there some loophole I don't know about?
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

should schools be prohibited from making their own rules about guns?Taurus850CIA wrote:
    Venator wrote:
    Dan F. wrote:

Pardon me for being anal, but it's asking should they be prohibited from banning firearms, and the answer should be DUH.. YES
    The poll asks:
    should schools be prohibited from making their own rules about guns?

The answer to the pole should be yes.

Tumato, tomato. The fact remains colleges should not be allowed to ban firearms. I should have had one less vodka. I hope you get my drift.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

Venator wrote:
    should schools be prohibited from making their own rules about guns?Taurus850CIA wrote:
    Venator wrote:
    Dan F. wrote:

The poll asks:

Tumato, tomato. The fact remains colleges should not be allowed to ban firearms. I should have had one less vodka. I hope you get my drift.
    I get it. That's why the winky smiley. Speaking of something to drink, where's that brandy...?
    "Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame." - Cort

Gun control is like trying to reduce Drunk Driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

1776"

With freedom comes much responsibility. It is for this reason so many are loathe to exercise it.

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    Venator wrote:
    I'm confused. I had thought that they must, as publicly owned institutions. Is there some loophole I don't know about?

There is a definition in some statutes that define what a local unit of government is and colleges don't fall into that. It's one of those GRAY areas again. This has been debated ad nausium and MCRGOs was supposed to be getting an AG opinion but neither side of the issue wants to pursue it.

I have heard that the law firm that prosecutes for MSU and U of M ordinances won't prosecute cases of firearm violationsas they don't want to set a precedent.

Post imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
    Venator wrote:
    Venator wrote:
    Dan F. wrote:

The poll asks:

I get it. That's why the winky smiley. Speaking of something to drink, where's that brandy...?
    Are you going to have Lunch in Flint tomorrow with a certain group of neer-do-wells?

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    Venator wrote:
    as venator said, it's a gray area. SCCC of MI has officially requested of the Attorney Generals office an opinion regarding whether schools are preempted in their regulation of student possession of firearms. we are STILL waiting.

Post imported post

Dan F. wrote:

yes, that's what the poll is asking, we believe that they should not, and that the preemption SHOULD cover them, but currently every school in MI is prohibiting firearm possession by students and I'm pretty sure they all prohibit possession by faculty as well.

to support. go to www.concealedcampus.com and contact the campus leader at the institution nearest you.

I'm hoping that some OCDO guys will show up at GRCC with EMPTY holsters, as concerned citizens, family members, etc.... and help support us.

Post imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
    VSOP or blackberry? Be careful how you answer.

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    What a CPL holding student at a clearly state run university needs to do is sue the school for violating his or her rights that are guaranteed by state law. Empty holster protests are fine and well, but to the best of my knowledge, schools are preempted for CPL holders who are open carrying. Protesting for a right you already can have, but neglecting to exercise it, is pretty silly.
    so, is that an offer to fund the suit? you fork out the cash, we'll file the papers.

2 problems.
    1) college student generally=broke
    2) most if not all of us cannot afford to become "that guy", I'm pretty much screwed already, so if you can fix the broke part, I'll become a little more notorious. :-)

Post imported post

Venator
    Are you going to ...
    Could be...

VSOP or blackberry? Be careful how you answer.
    I actually like a nip of blackberry every once in a while. Especially after I come inside from the cold. Does that make me cheap? Actually, I have some blackberry bushes in front of my house. When they are ripe to busting, I drop a handful into a pint of Christian Brothers and let it sit for a couple weeks. Now, that's tasty...

yes, that's what the poll is asking, we believe that they should not, and that the preemption SHOULD cover them, but currently every school in MI is prohibiting firearm possession by students and I'm pretty sure they all prohibit possession by faculty as well. to support. go to http://www.concealedcampus.com and contact the campus leader at the institution nearest you. I'm hoping that some OCDO guys will show up at GRCC with EMPTY holsters, as concerned citizens, family members, etc.... and help support us.
    Hey Tygereye, this may be what you've been looking for!

1776"

Post imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
    Venator I actually like a nip of blackberry every once in a while. Especially after I come inside from the cold. Does that make me cheap? Actually, I have some blackberry bushes in front of my house. When they are ripe to busting, I drop a handful into a pint of Christian Brothers and let it sit for a couple weeks. Now, that's tasty...
    I like that stuff too. You have to try Chambord, it's a raspberry liqueur. Tasty over ice cream.

Post imported post

TTT for empty holster week

Post imported post

I wore my empty holster to class tonight. Nobody noticed. I still have 2 more classes this week.

Instead of doing it for a day or a week, why not EVERYDAY?

Post imported post

T Vance wrote:
    I wore my empty holster to class tonight. Nobody noticed. I still have 2 more classes this week.

Instead of doing it for a day or a week, why not EVERYDAY?
    because when you do it everyday, the impact is lessened, with OC it's a good thing to lessen the impact, when protesting ridiculous rules that disarm law-abiding citizens leaving them defenseless in the face of murderers, rapists, and lunatics like cho, it's a good idea to hit hard and fast, not just keep poking them over, and over, and over.

Post imported post

xd-40 wrote:
    so, is that an offer to fund the suit? you fork out the cash, we'll file the papers.

2 problems.
    1) college student generally=broke
    2) most if not all of us cannot afford to become "that guy", I'm pretty much screwed already, so if you can fix the broke part, I'll become a little more notorious. :-)
    Missed this post before.

I would suggest that if no gun rights organizations are willing to help out, many people here are smart enough to launch their own law suit without the aid of an attorney. I believe the law is on our side here, and if that can accurately be shown, it would be a fairly strong case, with or without a lawyer.

Post imported post

Wore my empty holster to EMU the past 3 days. Had a few people inquire about it tonight. Informed them about CCing in schools, and also informed them of OCing. Passed out a few brochures I printed up from this websitethe other day, so they might be checking this place out.