• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

EMPTY HOLSTER PROTEST

should schools be prohibited from making their own rules about guns?

• yes- for CPL holders only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • yes- for everybody

• not sure need more information

• no- there's no place for guns on a college campus

• Total voters

joshuaeberly

imported post

Students for Concealed Carry on Campus will be holding their 3'rd nationwide empty holster protest on college campuses nationwide the week of april 20.

the chapter at Grand Rapids Community College is going for a double whammy.
they are holding their protest the week of the 6'th(starting monday) and the week of the 20'th.

while this is an OC website, I recall some conversation earlier this year about becoming an active force in removing restrictions on our 2'nd amendment rights.
here's one group that could use your help.

PM me if you would like to help with this, whether through financial(at this point, not really necessary) means, or perhaps even by showing up with an EMPTY holster and helping us make an impact.

Rogue9er

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'll be doing one in Ann Arbor, but I'm not sure when. Probably the 6th, since everyone will be gone by the national week. Also, it may be just me, since I don't have a lot of followers yet, and those that are in the group don't really have the stones for public display.

Michigander

imported post

What a CPL holding student at a clearly state run university needs to do is sue the school for violating his or her rights that are guaranteed by state law. Empty holster protests are fine and well, but to the best of my knowledge, schools are preempted for CPL holders who are open carrying. Protesting for a right you already can have, but neglecting to exercise it, is pretty silly.

Dan F.

imported post

I'm afraid I didn't quite get the poll. Sorry to be dense. Is the poll asking whether schools should be able to individually limit posession of weapons on their respective campuses (campi)?

Additionally, how does one go about supporting the Empty Holstrer movement on campus?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Dan F. wrote:
I'm afraid I didn't quite get the poll. Sorry to be dense. Is the poll asking whether schools should be able to individually limit posession of weapons on their respective campuses (campi)?

Additionally, how does one go about supporting the Empty Holstrer movement on campus?

Right know colleges can ban weapons in most states (I think they can't in Utah.) and in Michiganthey don't fall under preemption. There is a national org. of college students that are trying to change that. They have open holster rallies across the country as a protest and attention getter.

The poll is asking should colleges be allowed to ban firearms on campuses. The answer is DUH..NO

Taurus850CIA

imported post

Venator wrote:
Dan F. wrote:

Right know colleges can ban weapons in most states (I think they can't in Utah.) and in Michiganthey don't fall under preemption. There is a national org. of college students that are trying to change that. They have open holster rallies across the country as a protest and attention getter.

The poll is asking should colleges be allowed to ban firearms on campuses. The answer is DUH..NO
Pardon me for being anal, but it's asking should they be prohibited from banning firearms, and the answer should be DUH.. YES ;)

Venator

imported post

should schools be prohibited from making their own rules about guns?Taurus850CIA wrote:
Venator wrote:
Dan F. wrote:

Pardon me for being anal, but it's asking should they be prohibited from banning firearms, and the answer should be DUH.. YES ;)
The poll asks:

The answer to the pole should be yes.

Tumato, tomato. The fact remains colleges should not be allowed to ban firearms. I should have had one less vodka. I hope you get my drift.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

Venator wrote:
should schools be prohibited from making their own rules about guns?Taurus850CIA wrote:
Venator wrote:
Dan F. wrote:

The poll asks:

Tumato, tomato. The fact remains colleges should not be allowed to ban firearms. I should have had one less vodka. I hope you get my drift.
I get it. That's why the winky smiley. Speaking of something to drink, where's that brandy...?

Venator

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Venator wrote:
and in Michiganthey don't fall under preemption.
I'm confused. I had thought that they must, as publicly owned institutions. Is there some loophole I don't know about?

There is a definition in some statutes that define what a local unit of government is and colleges don't fall into that. It's one of those GRAY areas again. This has been debated ad nausium and MCRGOs was supposed to be getting an AG opinion but neither side of the issue wants to pursue it.

I have heard that the law firm that prosecutes for MSU and U of M ordinances won't prosecute cases of firearm violationsas they don't want to set a precedent.

Venator

imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
Venator wrote:
Venator wrote:
Dan F. wrote:

The poll asks:

I get it. That's why the winky smiley. Speaking of something to drink, where's that brandy...?
Are you going to have Lunch in Flint tomorrow with a certain group of neer-do-wells?

joshuaeberly

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Venator wrote:
and in Michiganthey don't fall under preemption.
I'm confused. I had thought that they must, as publicly owned institutions. Is there some loophole I don't know about?

as venator said, it's a gray area. SCCC of MI has officially requested of the Attorney Generals office an opinion regarding whether schools are preempted in their regulation of student possession of firearms. we are STILL waiting.

joshuaeberly

imported post

Dan F. wrote:

yes, that's what the poll is asking, we believe that they should not, and that the preemption SHOULD cover them, but currently every school in MI is prohibiting firearm possession by students and I'm pretty sure they all prohibit possession by faculty as well.

to support. go to www.concealedcampus.com and contact the campus leader at the institution nearest you.

I'm hoping that some OCDO guys will show up at GRCC with EMPTY holsters, as concerned citizens, family members, etc.... and help support us.

joshuaeberly

imported post

Michigander wrote:
What a CPL holding student at a clearly state run university needs to do is sue the school for violating his or her rights that are guaranteed by state law. Empty holster protests are fine and well, but to the best of my knowledge, schools are preempted for CPL holders who are open carrying. Protesting for a right you already can have, but neglecting to exercise it, is pretty silly.

so, is that an offer to fund the suit? you fork out the cash, we'll file the papers.

2 problems.
1) college student generally=broke
2) most if not all of us cannot afford to become "that guy", I'm pretty much screwed already, so if you can fix the broke part, I'll become a little more notorious. :)

Taurus850CIA

imported post

Venator
Are you going to ...
Could be...

VSOP or blackberry? Be careful how you answer.
I actually like a nip of blackberry every once in a while. Especially after I come inside from the cold. Does that make me cheap? Actually, I have some blackberry bushes in front of my house. When they are ripe to busting, I drop a handful into a pint of Christian Brothers and let it sit for a couple weeks. Now, that's tasty...

yes, that's what the poll is asking, we believe that they should not, and that the preemption SHOULD cover them, but currently every school in MI is prohibiting firearm possession by students and I'm pretty sure they all prohibit possession by faculty as well. to support. go to http://www.concealedcampus.com and contact the campus leader at the institution nearest you. I'm hoping that some OCDO guys will show up at GRCC with EMPTY holsters, as concerned citizens, family members, etc.... and help support us.
Hey Tygereye, this may be what you've been looking for!

Venator

imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
Venator I actually like a nip of blackberry every once in a while. Especially after I come inside from the cold. Does that make me cheap? Actually, I have some blackberry bushes in front of my house. When they are ripe to busting, I drop a handful into a pint of Christian Brothers and let it sit for a couple weeks. Now, that's tasty...
I like that stuff too. You have to try Chambord, it's a raspberry liqueur. Tasty over ice cream.

T Vance

imported post

I wore my empty holster to class tonight. Nobody noticed. I still have 2 more classes this week.

Instead of doing it for a day or a week, why not EVERYDAY?

joshuaeberly

imported post

T Vance wrote:
I wore my empty holster to class tonight. Nobody noticed. I still have 2 more classes this week.

Instead of doing it for a day or a week, why not EVERYDAY?
because when you do it everyday, the impact is lessened, with OC it's a good thing to lessen the impact, when protesting ridiculous rules that disarm law-abiding citizens leaving them defenseless in the face of murderers, rapists, and lunatics like cho, it's a good idea to hit hard and fast, not just keep poking them over, and over, and over.